Inline amplifier

It will probably work.. But it is not needed. But 98% of the dish installers will tell you . That you need to replace the RG59.. The 2% that won't or either new. or don't care. Or are lazy.. But you do need to replace that..

Your amp will not work with a 1000.4 (or 1000.2 or any DPP equipment) It has a built in switch and amping after any switching will not work. Also, it's not needed.

Your rg-59 cable will work fine, at least for a while. Just know it's not rated to the needed frequency and it wasn't designed to carry voltage. If a technician were to come out he would be required, by installation standards, to replace it.

No problem using an inline amplifier although I'm suprised that 40 feet of Rg59 works.

But, don't forget that the Dish system "stacks' the left and right polarity transponders of the lnb into one freqency band (950-2150 Mhz) and as frequency increases, more signal attenuation occurs. If I remember correctly, the Directv systems have a lower upper end frequency, allowing for a somewhat lower cable quality.

Will this same inline amp work with the new system?
Assume that it will not. It might work, but if you're using RG11, you absolutely DO NOT need an amp.

Using the amp may overwhelm the AGC of the receiver.

Understand that if you want to take advantage of programming discounts and other promotions, you normally can't get there with a self-install.

#1 The RG59 needs to be replaced even though it works 100%.
How do you know this? Are you up and running with a modern DIRECTV (SWiM) or DISH Network (DPP) receiver?

Understand that the old DIRECTV receivers (prior to FTM/SWiM) used only the lower end of the frequency spectrum. The new SWiM (and DISH's DPP) use frequencies that are a stretch for many makes of RG59. Assuming that what worked years ago will still work is not solid reasoning.
#2 Nobody knows if the inline amplifier will work or not.
If you can't give us a make or model, we can't ascertain its capabilities. It would be irresponsible to say one way or the other.

I think the real question is does the amp cover the frequency range of the newest HD systems. I don't know what the frequency range of the old SD Directv system was.

The main reason I put that amp in was because of the joining of two different types of cable and the length of the RG11. In my early coax LAN networking system installation and maintenance days, there was a problem at every joint and kink in the cable. Even a file cabinet sitting on the cable caused a speed bump that would reflect signals back and screw up the timing.

I put the dish way out on the edge of a high bank to avoid trees. It is probably more like 200 feet of RG11. At the time I think I read that 100 ft of RG6 was the max. I bought a 500 ft spool of RG11 and I still have some left. I dug a ditch with my backhoe and buried two RG11 lines in the ditch. I even put a 120v line in there for unknown future equipment.

So I put the $5 amp inline as insurance and it worked 100%. They make the amps for Dish systems too and I was wondering if the old one would work or if I needed a new one.

20 dB In-Line Signal Amplifier Satellite Coaxial F-Type LNB TV Antenna Digital Booster Coax Cable DSS DBS Dish Outdoor Video Channels, 950 - 2050 MHz DC Passive, 13 - 18 VDC, Part # LAA: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antenna

I understand your problem. You are dropping about 12 dbw just in your long rg11 run. That is sucking up a good portion of your signal. The in line amp works for you because it is in the right location, about 1/2 way (by signal loss) to the receiver. You need an amp that covers the 950-2150 Mhz range for the Dish stacking system.

I have a similar DPP installation, rg11 dropping to rg6 and had to install an in line amp to reduce problems with slow channel changing with the remote.

If you have the modern SWM antanna lnbs, they use 974-1790 Mhz for the guide and content and a separate 2300 Mhz stream for communication between devices. So, you are working with similar frequency ranges with the Dish system running 950 -2150 Mhz.

The old Directv system was 950-1450 Mhz.

Last edited:
If you have the modern SWM antanna lnbs, they use 974-1790 Mhz for the guide and content and a separate 2300 Mhz stream for communication between devices. So, you are working with similar frequency ranges with the Dish system running 950 -2150 Mhz.

That's 2.3 MHz, or 2,300 KHz. It creates a diplexing problem when used with older, off-the shelf diplexers and inline amplifiers.

It is likely that the original poster does not grasp what 100% or any other % of signal means, and frankly, we don't know for sure, either. It has to do with forward error correction utilization that is taking place, but because digital signals have so-called "avalanche" failure characteristics, it is possible that a transponder that is evaluated as 100% is just a whisker from crapping out totally, if either the line voltage drops another tenth of a volt or two, such that, it can no longer operate the LNB's internal switching, or if the signal strength drops a few dB below the receiver's input threshold.

Signal loss and voltage drop over various lengths of RG6, RG59 and RG11 are proportional to their lengths. With RG59, not only do you drop over twice as much signal over any gven length as you might with RG-11, you may drop even more voltage than that because RG-59 uses such a tiny center conductor, and if the voltage drop is your problem, an inline amplifier makes it worse because it introduces additional current draw which drops the voltage to the LNB even more.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)