Install Issues - Would like to hear from DIRT

lgball

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Oklahoma
So I posted about this in the Hopper forum, but I am increasingly frustrated and would like the opportunity to discuss this with someone on the DIRT team. It doesn't appear any of them are online right now or I would PM.

Anyway, my Hopper install was about 30 days ago. The technician did his thing and left. 2H2J install. After he left, one of the Joeys began acting up - it couldn't keep a connection, etc. I spent several hours troubleshooting. After those hours, knowing that the integrity of the coax was important to MOCA setups, I decided to check the cable from the Joey to the wall. After I pushed the cabinet away from the wall, I discovered that the installer had left a diplexer in the line. Once I removed that, all the issues with that Joey went away. Things have been mostly solid since then, but I've had several Joey disconnects with the other Joey and some issues with the Joeys not synching with the video signal from the Hopper. I thought they were normal glitches and despite the installer screwing up the one line, I thought I would just leave it alone.

Until last night. I finally got S230 and pulled the main Hopper out to install my OTA Dongle, and what do I discover behind the hopper? Another diplexer left in the line! Ugh. So, I went to the attic to see what he'd done up there and discovered a total mess. Old cables, switches, amplifiers and diplexers everwhere and very little labeling so I could figure out what was what. Amazingly, every line to a Joey or Hopper still had the OTA diplexer in it from the old install. Missing one that might (might) have not have been noticed when working behind a cabinet is one thing, but he had to make a conscious effort to hook the lines from the Node into these diplexers. It just makes no sense. No wonder the Joeys have been seeing disconnects on occasion. So, I spent another couple of hours cleaning all that up.

So here's my question for DIRT. Is it fair to charge me $95 for an install, when it was done wrong and I had to spend 3-4 hours fixing the damage after the installer left? I don't think it is. I'd be interested to hear from you on this.

Thanks.

Larry

There isn't much Dirt can do, take this advice:

If you would of gotten ahold of the Field Service manager either he/she would be out or some other tech (you CAN request someone else to come out).

It's going to look very tacky to tell someone "I spent $95 for an install, it wasn't right, so I spent 3 hours cleaning it up, can I have my $95 back?"

You may of been able to of been credited something if you had to have someone else come out, but since you fixed someone else's mess, I doubt your gonna get anywhere. Now you don't even have PROOF the installer did a crummy job, unless you took pictures.

Rule #1. If an installer makes a mess, then have him or another installer make it right. YOU PAID for it. Don't ever waste time fixing someone else's mess, especially when it's on YOUR dime. Always have another person out.

Well I disagree about not much Dirt can do.They can get a tech scheduled to come and repair the problem.

Should have taken before and after pictures showing how he left it and all the work you had to do.

This is why when I move I just reinstall my DirecTV HD myself.

Yes DIRT can pull strings that CSRs cannot.

I have sent DIRT your way as soon as one has a chance. ;)

Thought it would only be fair to let everyone know that the DIRT team came through for me.

I am a satisfied customer again. That's the way customer service should be.

Thanks, Jason!

Currently bundled with ATT, want to upgrade/get better pricing

PBS (WKOP) is finally in HD in Knoxville

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)