Install just left, no 720p over DVI???

ejfiii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 5, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Installs Inc. just left and I am trying the different output modes with the red button. Only three down from the top, or 480p, is getting passed to my samsung 1280x768 plasma over DVI. This is not great since my old OTA receiver was passing 720p over DVI fine.

TV says 'Out Of Range' when I use any output besides 480p.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

E. J.

Well crap. I just lost every channel besides HD News. Is this normal for a one hour old service? Guide goes from 100, 101, 200 - 277, 298, then 8 wrong OTA channels. I get the 0-x for all my OTA channels. So no OTA either. This plus no 720p DVI to my TV ain't great. I hope someone reading this will chime in.

TIA,

E. J.

ejfiii said:
Installs Inc. just left and I am trying the different output modes with the red button. Only three down from the top, or 480p, is getting passed to my samsung 1280x768 plasma over DVI. This is not great since my old OTA receiver was passing 720p over DVI fine.

TV says 'Out Of Range' when I use any output besides 480p.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

E. J.

Try component. If it doesn't work with 720p it is your samsung not accepting 720p. What is the channel that you are trying?

Okay, I got all the locals and the guide is up and correct, as well as all the correct channels. Now, 1080i will pass through to the TV, but still no 720p.

I am going to try component now. Thanks,

E. J.

You will likely receive a software version upgrade within a day or two. See if that will help with 720p. For now, just keep it in 1080i mode. Most programs come as 1080i anyway, so it is better to let your TV set do all the rescaling.

Welcome to VOOM!

I have a Studio Experience 2HD projector. The 720p mode didn't work until I got the 00.05.68 software update. I got the update automatically about 5 days after it was installed. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I will turn it off before bed. I have 00.05.08 FW version on the box now. Hopefully it will get hit with the new FW tonight.

E. J.

Other than the exclusive V* movie channels, everything else is being broadcast in 1080i. Is the V* STB doing a better scaling job than your display that you choose to use 720p instead of 1080i? I would think in most cases that the display would do better scaling.

Problem is, my set, and all the other digital sets I know of have to convert the signal to analog for any scaling and to go from interlaced to progressive. This a/d and d/a double conversion defeats the purpose of using the DVI connection and taking advantage of an all digital signal path.

So, the scaler in the Moto receiver may not be as good as the one in my TV, but by keeping the signal digital and letting the receiver do the scaling - the PQ is better.

YMMV.

Oh, forgot the important part. Got the .05.68 FW last night and now I LOVE VOOM! Everything works perfectly. Thanks for the help and patience.

Is there anyway to remove OTA stations you don't want from the listing? I have favorites set, but would like to remove about 10 OTA channels I dont want or need.

Thanks.

ejfiii said:
Oh, forgot the important part. Got the .05.68 FW last night and now I LOVE VOOM! Everything works perfectly. Thanks for the help and patience.

Is there anyway to remove OTA stations you don't want from the listing? I have favorites set, but would like to remove about 10 OTA channels I dont want or need.

Thanks.

Create a favorite list from the system settings option and just add the stations that you want including OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)