install on its way, any suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xxmattnxx

Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
I have my HD-DVR installation comming this Thursday. Directv gave a pretty fair deal on the equipment as well which I was glad to see. Any suggestions or things I should prepare for before the installer makes his way to my home?

Thanks guys!

Matt

1. Be prepared to TALK to him/her beforehand to discuss what they plan vs what you want. Dish location(s), wire locations, etc.

2. Be prepared to actually be around and within earshot; you would be amazed at people that cut & run or leave someone else there and then gripe when it not up to their specs upon returning.

3. Make sure if you have A/V gear and cabinets, to have them prepared to go and you be ready to assist.

4. Make sure you get everything you ordered, down to the remotes and B-band converters, and cables even if you do not need then now.

5. Make sure you are receiving all the channels to your satisfaction when they are done; check all sats for signal levels. (I am saying at least 87 or better - those in the know of your area can correct me).

6. Are you doing OTA with this? Remember this is not their area / job, and MPEG4 setup will not diplex with OTA, so you will need a dedicated RG6 run for this; even if YOU will be installing it later.

I am sure I missed something..

Last edited:
7. Have your TV/Entertainment center moved out away from the wall about 3 feet or so. Also, it helps to have all of your knick knacks and breakables that you normally keep on the TV put away in a safe place to prevent damage.

8. Think about where you would like the outlets in relation to the TV, and how you would like the cable ran to get to those outlets. (Goes with #1)

9. Have your dogs/kids under control or out of the way.

10. Be home and be sure to answer your phone, even if it is a blocked number. It may be your installer calling.

11. Make sure the installer can find your home...i.e. the address is CLEARLY marked so that it is visible from the roadway.

Actually the HD-DVR is going where a previous DVR was at so cabling is ready to go. All we need is the dish updated and it already has all 4 cables running to the multiswitch. The multiswitch has 8 ports so I wont need a new multiswitch I dont believe. I'm having the DVR relocated but that will be a piece of cake. So as long as there are no hang ups, how long am I expecting installation since it should be just the dish and getting the reciever programmed?

Actually the HD-DVR is going where a previous DVR was at so cabling is ready to go. All we need is the dish updated and it already has all 4 cables running to the multiswitch. The multiswitch has 8 ports so I wont need a new multiswitch I dont believe. I'm having the DVR relocated but that will be a piece of cake. So as long as there are no hang ups, how long am I expecting installation since it should be just the dish and getting the reciever programmed?

Hmmmm?

How many tuners does the old DVR have? You will need an RG6 line for EACH tuner.

Are the older multi-switches compatible with Ka/Ku setups?

Our upgrade from standard HD and 4 other receivers to the 5LNB and extra RG6 runs took about 1hr45m

2 tuners.. its not ancient. Give me a little credit, I can make the connection that a dual tuner requires 2 cables.

OK, OK, can't ever make assumptions here.. If we did, two days later someone would be killing us that we didn't tell them.. So better mentioned up front just in case. Ya know?

a) Make sure they switch your multiswitch, unless you already have a WIDEBAND switch.

b) if they put the dish on the house AT ALL, they must use 2 (!) monopoles to support the mount. Also make sure they use sealant. caulk is not approved but is better than nothing.

c) make sure they actually bolt the LNB on, with nuts!

d) make sure they actually install a KA/KU dish (AT or AU 9), and not a phase 3--or worse, and 18" dish.

Laugh at the obsurdity of it if you wish, but these are recurring issues we are seeing on D* sites. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)