Installation question

akoscak

Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
I pre-wired my home assuming I was going to install cable TV. So I wired 4 rooms with one coaxial line going into a 4 way splitter and then obviously these 4 wires go to the respectve rooms in the home. I put all these under the home since I have a raised foundation so theres no unsightly wires.

Now I am interested in getting satelite after reading these forums. I know that splitting the cables the way I have will not work given how the satelite operates needing its indepedent feeds to each indepedent receiver.

However my splitter is pretty much close to the side of my home where the dish could be mounted ..So is it possible to use the 4 cables lines I have installed and just couple them to extend them outside? If someone could help me that could help out since I do not know if just coupling (not splitting) the existing wires in ordre to extend them to the dish will work or just kill the signal strength? :confused:

Thanks!!!

akoscak said:
I pre-wired my home assuming I was going to install cable TV. So I wired 4 rooms with one coaxial line going into a 4 way splitter and then obviously these 4 wires go to the respectve rooms in the home. I put all these under the home since I have a raised foundation so theres no unsightly wires.

Now I am interested in getting satelite after reading these forums. I know that splitting the cables the way I have will not work given how the satelite operates needing its indepedent feeds to each indepedent receiver.

However my splitter is pretty much close to the side of my home where the dish could be mounted ..So is it possible to use the 4 cables lines I have installed and just couple them to extend them outside? If someone could help me that could help out since I do not know if just coupling (not splitting) the existing wires in ordre to extend them to the dish will work or just kill the signal strength? :confused:

Thanks!!!
Just mount your receivers where the splitter feeds into them. Use UHF remotes ( with different ad's ) to allow you to select your programming. Also this way you will not have the " unsightly " receivers in your rooms. Suggest using a rack mount for them. Just kidding you only need one coax going to the dish if your equipment is installed correctly with a signal combiner feeding the one cable. Then the 4 cables from the splitter will each go to a seperate system and hook to the receiver.

Not too sure about the above mentioned method. Never heard of that being done. If you have acess to the splitter the installer should'nt have any problem taling four lines from the dish to the splitter. Each line to the rooms should be okay if it's RG-6 cable. If your getting x22 recievers you'll need more lines ran to the rooms depending on the set up of receivers.

oldieslover is probably confusing the old D* single bird sytem with a Dish500.

Considering this IS the Dish Forum, it's safe for us to assume we're talking E* stuff.
Therefore, depending on the details, what thiggin2 & wobbie said is the way to go.

Note that it IS possible to avoid a second cable or a x2x box by using DishProPlus technology

In any event, I would NOT mount receivers "outside" under the house.

I have both my receivers located in my basement where the coax feeds into the back of them. I also had coax drops in every room and have two tv's on each receiver. My bedroom and den are on one, the family room and guest bedroom on the other. By using UHF remotes ( one in each room ) set to work their corresponding receiver. Have the receivers mounted in a rack with easy access and NO heat related problems. No unsightly bundles of cable just one cable for power and a coax for the signal. Also, in my earlier reply I was being a little sarcastic, for which I apologize. I tried dish for a year, but was not satisfied with the reception or pricing of their packages. Went back to my Big dish and added the second 4DTV system a few months ago. Best move I've made in while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts