Installer put the satellite on my roof, now I have to take it down...

Toyzruskid1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Dayton, OH
Dish came out a year ago and installed an eastern arc and a separate wing dish so I could get receiption on my patio. 3 weeks ago I went outside to check the dish because the signal was horrible and I noticed the wing dish was coming off the wall. I called dish and they came out (I have the 6 buck a month deal so it was a 15 dollar call)

The guy came out, surveyed my unit (I'm in a condo) and started to remount a new dish on my roof. I asked him what he was doing and he didn't know why I didn't put it on the roof to begin with. I told him that we weren't allowed. He said that was funny because from where he was standing he could see 5 other units in my neighborhood that had roof mounts. I talked to a former board member and they told me that yes, people do it all the time in the neighborhood.

Guess what... Yesterday I got a call telling me to take it down or the association would take it down for me. So I have to go to a meeting tonight and I'll be fighting to keep it (otherwise, no biggie, I can patch the holes myself, although the installer stated that it would not leak)

My question... (yes there is one) Will dish give me slack because I need to call up and have the dish moved yet again? 15 dollars is no biggie to have it done, I just don't want a fight on my hands. The sad thing about it, you can't even see the dish. It's on a hidden section of the roof where only I can see it. The only reason they nailed me was because they cleaned out the gutters and saw it. So now I have to have it installed on my front patio roof because according to FCC I'm allowed to have it installed there even though it's going to look like a huge eye sore and will be especially bad since 3 of my neighbors are trying to sell their units.

Thanks, but unfortunately OTARD doesn't protect you from putting satellites on your roof in condo associations. I've torn the net up looking for loop holes but every legal site and FCC site I've been to states Condo's with roof exclusions = no deal.

I would go to the Meeting with an open mind and do what they want. They want it on the front porch in front of everyone, there's where it will go if you want dish. Or you could tell them it can stay out of sight and in its current location. I've fought with landlords and hoa people before. The key to winning I've found is the tone of your voice and options for them.

I agree w/ Frank. I would also see if they are open to a "community DISH". Something that the entire building could use. That way, you still get a install that's not on your patio.

Lord_Vader said:
I agree w/ Frank. I would also see if they are open to a "community DISH". Something that the entire building could use. That way, you still get a install that's not on your patio.

This also. Options are the key!

If you do end up removing the dish, leave the bolts and footplate in place. If it was installed and sealed correctly, you might damage shingles if you try to remove it.

Why didn't he just fix the wall mount?

The community dish idea was struck down because they said it would be a significant cost to the association to do this. They also said people would fight between dish and direct.

If you do end up removing the dish, leave the bolts and footplate in place. If it was installed and sealed correctly, you might damage shingles if you try to remove it.

Why didn't he just fix the wall mount?

The wall mount was attached to rotted trim and it was the only place on my patio he could install it. I was also getting horrible signals because my neighbors tree magically grew over the LOS. They want everything removed and told me to patch it with roof cement. I was tempted to leave it in place myself. I might even leave the plate there until the spring when it's warmer.

Are those dishes coming down too ?

This is where Dish pissed me off to no avail. Even after asking the installer "Are you sure they aren't vent installs?" he stated that they were not, and if I did not believe me that I could climb up on the roof and check for myself. I took his word for it. Well, they WERE vent installs and were NOT mounted to the roof. The only other person who was mounted to the roof was the person who had to have their dish removed.

Sadly I'm beyond stressed at the moment and do not have the energy to fight this fight any more. The trees around my condo will not allow me to get a good enough signal without rain fade or wind fade or snow fade. I'm getting ready to call them now to cancel the service and I have Time Warner (sigh) coming out tonight. At least when I did the math, Time Warner was actually cheaper and they gave me several credits to balance out the 135 dollars I'm going to have to pay in ETF with Dish. (9 months * 15 dollars) (Although I really thought it was 10 dollars a month when I signed the contract 15 monts ago)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)