Installer tells me it's illegal to install my dish?!?! HELP!

If the installer went to the management office first, then he did not want to do the installation period!

He was just hoping that the management office would tell him no so he would have an excuse to cancel out the Job, when he could not get that excuse, he came up with his own!
Thats BS, buddy! Is it not smarter to know exactly what you can and can not do so you don't get reamed on the backside? Thats the lamest thing I ever heard!

Sounds like they didn't want to do it. Illegal is a broad definition... maybe it was quality, maybe they didn't have any flat cable, the stuff is hard to get, though personally I loved apartment jobs, I've completed quite a few with simple talking with management doing things such as putting the dish near the cable co MDU box and using the existing wiring, or just pop a hole underneath the sliding door, doesn't take much to go off to wally world and spend $3 on a tube of spackle to cover it up. Make the customer aware and sign that they are responsible for the hole.

If they canceled the job then you would of had to sign the service agreement on the portion that the job was not completed for the reasons listed. OP said he called in to find out it was canceled, so apparently whomever that was out there didn't even complete their paperwork.

How about this for a solution. Drill the hole threw the wall yourself before the installer arrives. Then when the installer gets there just say " I guess the people that lived here before must have had dish as there is a hole right here that looks like it would be perfect for you to run the wire threw."

If you can not drill the hole yourself tell the installer to just drill a hole and and tell him before he does he can write on the work order that he put the wire threw an existing hole and you will sign the work order saying that before he starts.

Y'all are making this to complicated. The installer just wants to make sure he gets paid and cover his butt with the apartment complex. This is not that hard to solve.

Oh puh-leeze, you're gonna start telling me a 6' section of cable is going to "burn out"? Not trying to start anything again, but I cannot believe they actually had a rule about this.

with all the blunt comments and callling out of bull sh*t ive done .. you are gonna question my honor on this... if i post it, then i had a reason to.. we were forbidden to use flat til the new ones came to us, that was 6 months ago

I'm a residential / commercial installer. The only way a flat section will burn out is if it is pinched. In most cases, a small cut in the metal under the door or slider will avoid this. After installing the flat section, simply apply a thin coat of caulking. The voltage on the line does not exceed 15 volts - DC. It is not possible for a cable, even if it was shorted to start a fire. The receiver is designed to burn out a resister/fuse if the line is crossed more than 20 minutes. At worst, you would have to replace the receiver. Since Dish now only leases in most cases, they would replace it. Also, there are magnetic devices that pass through the window, like the old cellular antennas. They work great! Never had a problem. Installed over 600 of the window pass through units. Second, there is nothing that states that it is illegal to use a flat cable. I am a personal friend of Charles ( Charlie ) the CEO of Echostar Communications. I asked him and his tech staff today about this and they have never heard of this. It may be addressed in the next Charlie Chat that retailers and installers are required to whatch each month. Bottom line is this - You had an installer that was less than professional, did not have the right equipment, ie, the correct flat wire that will pass up to 3.2ghz or window pass through unit that will pass up to 3.6ghz. The installer was just flat lazy. In fact, the majority of the installers are independent and do not invest in the right equipment to have on board. A customer in most cases is willing to pay for items not normally included in the installation, as long as you explain what is and is not included. Customer appreciate it when an installer is "ready for the installation". Do this, Call 1-888-233-3474. This is the dealer-installer hot line... hit the #for installer. You will get right through to a tech/support person. Threaten them to go over to DirecTV! You will be amazed how fast a solution is made! Tell them you do not want the same installer or same company..... Also, there are plenty of independent agents that are more than willing to make this happen for you. Sorry for your inconvienence. It is installers like that, that give the installers that care a bad name. Give them a second chance.

Robert -= World Media Net & Affiliates LLC.

I'm not questioning the fact that you were forbidden to use it. You may very well have been but the post below you seems to contradict that.

What I am telling you is there is no such thing as "burn out." And even more, there is no fire threat from this.

Thats BS, buddy! Is it not smarter to know exactly what you can and can not do so you don't get reamed on the backside? Thats the lamest thing I ever heard!
Agreed. we have rules to follow re: rental properties. We do not do installs on rental properties without a written or verbal permission from the owner or thei ragent. Furthermore we are required ot seek out managemnt people at apartment complexes to learn of any and all restrictions. To do anything less that that would be negligent on our part. IT has nothing to do with tryonmg to get out of doing a job. It has everything to so with limiting my liability. And According to NC lanlord/tenant regulations, tenants may not be held liable for the actions of another. So if a tenant says go ahead and of the job and we don't get the ok from mgmt, we not the tenant are on the hook if the mgmnt or prop owner objects. I am offended by anyone that thinks seeking permission and going thru proper channels is a ruse to get out of doing a job.

I'm not questioning the fact that you were forbidden to use it. You may very well have been but the post below you seems to contradict that.

What I am telling you is there is no such thing as "burn out." And even more, there is no fire threat from this.

Then you have never seen what a burned out flat cable can do. I have, and I wish I had the pictures to prove it. It melted the metal frame on the window screen, and scorched a large section of the wood frame.

How about this for a solution. Drill the hole threw the wall yourself before the installer arrives. Then when the installer gets there just say " I guess the people that lived here before must have had dish as there is a hole right here that looks like it would be perfect for you to run the wire threw."

If you can not drill the hole yourself tell the installer to just drill a hole and and tell him before he does he can write on the work order that he put the wire threw an existing hole and you will sign the work order saying that before he starts.

Y'all are making this to complicated. The installer just wants to make sure he gets paid and cover his butt with the apartment complex. This is not that hard to solve.

The management office will still come after the installer for this.

I'm a residential / commercial installer. The only way a flat section will burn out is if it is pinched. In most cases, a small cut in the metal under the door or slider will avoid this. After installing the flat section, simply apply a thin coat of caulking. The voltage on the line does not exceed 15 volts - DC. It is not possible for a cable, even if it was shorted to start a fire. The receiver is designed to burn out a resister/fuse if the line is crossed more than 20 minutes. At worst, you would have to replace the receiver. Since Dish now only leases in most cases, they would replace it. Also, there are magnetic devices that pass through the window, like the old cellular antennas. They work great! Never had a problem. Installed over 600 of the window pass through units. Second, there is nothing that states that it is illegal to use a flat cable. I am a personal friend of Charles ( Charlie ) the CEO of Echostar Communications. I asked him and his tech staff today about this and they have never heard of this. It may be addressed in the next Charlie Chat that retailers and installers are required to whatch each month. Bottom line is this - You had an installer that was less than professional, did not have the right equipment, ie, the correct flat wire that will pass up to 3.2ghz or window pass through unit that will pass up to 3.6ghz. The installer was just flat lazy. In fact, the majority of the installers are independent and do not invest in the right equipment to have on board. A customer in most cases is willing to pay for items not normally included in the installation, as long as you explain what is and is not included. Customer appreciate it when an installer is "ready for the installation". Do this, Call 1-888-233-3474. This is the dealer-installer hot line... hit the #for installer. You will get right through to a tech/support person. Threaten them to go over to DirecTV! You will be amazed how fast a solution is made! Tell them you do not want the same installer or same company..... Also, there are plenty of independent agents that are more than willing to make this happen for you. Sorry for your inconvienence. It is installers like that, that give the installers that care a bad name. Give them a second chance.

Robert -= World Media Net & Affiliates LLC.

Almost had me thinking that you might know somebody. If you were a personal friend of Charles, you would know better than to post the IVR line on this board.

"the correct flat wire that will pass up to 3.2ghz or window pass through unit that will pass up to 3.6ghz."

Where can you buy these? The flat wires that I see on eBay work with Legacy but not with Dish Pro.

Thanks for the help, but honestly, I didn't understand a third of what you guys were talking about. :eek:

What is a QC and what does that mean?

This guy said it was "ILLEGAL" not just "oh, I don't have the cable necessary" or "company policy says I can't do this unless I have access to the ground." He made it sound like he could be arrested or something for running cable through my patio.

And what does this mean?

Sorry, but I'm entirely new to this stuff.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

QC's - Quality Checks/Control - an after the job inspection to see if the work was done correctly.

As to the illegal part, in some areas of the country, the local governing body has adopted the National Electrical Code or other codes that define how certain things (like grounding) must be done, and what are acceptable alternatives. These are laws, hence breaking them would be illegal.

I'm not condoning/defending what this guy did, just trying to answer your questions.

"the correct flat wire that will pass up to 3.2ghz or window pass through unit that will pass up to 3.6ghz."

Where can you buy these? The flat wires that I see on eBay work with Legacy but not with Dish Pro.

If you're a retailer or installer call these guys. They'll have em'

RS&I 800-374-8031 Sacramento

Then you have never seen what a burned out flat cable can do. I have, and I wish I had the pictures to prove it. It melted the metal frame on the window screen, and scorched a large section of the wood frame.

Were you running a live 110 through it or something?

Before you go doing this, you better start looking at fire code because you drill that wall, you violate the integrity of whatever firebreak is installed. I've seen too many apartments around memphis burned down by some non bill paying douchebag with a fireplace (why they put them in apartments I will never know) and no electricity(it is almost always people that don't pay the electric bill and almost always in winter.) to ever get involved in damaging firebreaks. No thanks.

For the record, when shopping for apartments, the first or second question I asked was "do you have fireplaces." If yes, I cross them off the list. I know I won't set the place on fire, but what about that douchebag next door?

Yeah, I'm a little fire paranoid. I caused a small forest fire as a kid, and I don't screw with flames no more. :D

... I am a personal friend of Charles ( Charlie ) the CEO of Echostar Communications. I asked him and his tech staff today about this and they have never heard of this...

Charles? You call him Charles?
My guess is only his mama when he was in trouble has ever called him Charles. Let me guess, you met him once at a meet and greet somewhere a couple years ago! :rolleyes:

Screw those lousy apartment regulations. You have the FCC.

I thought the installers were suppose to do their homework like getting all facts down & clear. The FCC had passed The Telecommunication Act of 1996 to allow satellite dishes up to 39" in diameter to be used in residential applications. You can print a copy of the OTARD Rule from FCC's website. I abide only to the FCC like I always have to The Constitution. Federal government supersedes any local or state laws per circumstance. Don't let those bullies push you round with wrong information. Contact your Attorney's Office when necessary. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts