Installer's here right now. Question!

mtsmylie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 27, 2004
Twin Falls, ID
He's installing a Dish 1000 at the house we just moved into to go with our new VIP-622, but says we'll be getting relatively weak signal from the HD satellite.

I asked him about him installing a second dish, and he said that would definitely give us the signal strength for the HD channels, but he made it sound like it would be too much of a bother for him.

I really want to get the most out of my HDTV and the 622. Can I insist he put up the second dish if I don't get a decent enough signal from the HD channels? What kind of number should I be looking at to be happy with the signal strength?

Thanks in advance!

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
65 and above would be a minimun, if it is lower you can call tech support and tell them and see what they will do, you do have a period of time for free service after your install.

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
You should get a fair signal strength there, try to get installer to put in a separate dish for 129, otherwise he or someone else might have to come back and do it later.

mtsmylie

Dec 27, 2004
Twin Falls, ID
Thanks for all your help, Dirtydan and gdarwin.

I'll let you all know how it goes once it's finished and how much I love the upgrade from the 522 to the 622.

As long as I'm watching The Wire tomorrow night on HBO in HD tomorrow night, I'm sure I'll be thrilled.

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
mtsmylie said:

I'll let you all know how it goes once it's finished and how much I love the upgrade from the 522 to the 622.

As long as I'm watching The Wire tomorrow night on HBO in HD tomorrow night, I'm sure I'll be thrilled.
HBO HD is on sat 110 I just checked and it has only a 63 signal strength, one of the lower ones. If you have time, could you make a list of some of your signal strengths on all three sats?

mtsmylie

Dec 27, 2004
Twin Falls, ID
Dirtydan said:
HBO HD is on sat 110 I just checked and it has only a 63 signal strength, one of the lower ones. If you have time, could you make a list of some of your signal strengths on all three sats?

Sure, once everything's all set up, I'll try and figure out how to find my signal strengths, and let you know.

That'll probably give me a good idea as to whether I should call them back out for a second dish if this guy gives me trouble.

FunkeeC

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 5, 2006
mtsmylie said:

Sadly, HBO doesnt broadcast the wire in HD. Made me mad when i realized this. Still damn good show regardless

sonnyboy11

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 5, 2005
Tell him you want two Dish's. Screw him not wanting to do it. My installer was just here and actually insisted on keeping my two Dish solution instead of installing the Dish 1000.

Edit- just noticed time of original post so this is probably coming too late. Let us know how it works out.

mtsmylie

Dec 27, 2004
Twin Falls, ID
Well, the installer pretty much put the 1000 up, shoved the 622 remote in my hands and headed for the hills, so we only have one dish right now, and the HD satellite is only getting a strength of about 40. :(

So I called Dish the same day, and they have another installer scheduled to come out Friday to put up the second one. I think I'm going to e-mail the CEO address, and let them know how unhappy we are with the initial setup.

But thanks to everyone for the help! Hopefully by this time next week, I'll have a great HD picture that doesn't pixellate and drop out completely every 30 seconds.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Do it yesterday

Email the ceo ppl now don't wait. It is bad viz to keep these throw it up and run installers working. If they can't do a good job they need to be asking do you want frys w/ your burger.

mtsmylie

Dec 27, 2004
Twin Falls, ID
Wow, so no more than an hour after I e-mailed the CEO address, I got a call here at work from Matt at the E* office, who set me up with an installation of the second dish tomorrow afternoon.

Now THAT is good customer service!

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
Like I said, the installer should have done it right the frist time, now it will cost Dish even more to make it right. Did the installer even check the signal strength on 129?

mtsmylie

Dec 27, 2004
Twin Falls, ID
He did check it, and it came out at the low 50s, and he said, "Wow, I didn't think I'd be able to get it that high!"

I get a different signal strength every time I check it, but it's always somewhere between 30 and 52, which sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)