Installing a HR20 with DVD recorder?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Toprank

Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
I currently have a Direct TV HR20 dvr, dvd/vcr combo, and harmon karden receiver. I just bought a Philips dvdr3400 dvd recorder and am hoping to burn dvd's from my dvr and vcr. The instruction manual states that i connect the satellite cables through the recorder. Is there a way to just hook the recorder to my tv and record what is playing on the tv.

if so how would i do that?

if I have to hook the satellite cables to the recorder, how would I do that?

Anyone else have HR20 hooked up with a dvd recorder, how do you have it wired?

I currently have a Direct TV HR20 dvr, dvd/vcr combo, and harmon karden receiver. I just bought a Philips dvdr3400 dvd recorder and am hoping to burn dvd's from my dvr and vcr. The instruction manual states that i connect the satellite cables through the recorder. Is there a way to just hook the recorder to my tv and record what is playing on the tv.

if so how would i do that?

if I have to hook the satellite cables to the recorder, how would I do that?

Anyone else have HR20 hooked up with a dvd recorder, how do you have it wired?

When recording on the HR20-700 you are recording to a hard drive, if you want to record on it, just set it upto record.
If you want to record from it to the DVD DVR you will need to connect itto the DVR with whatever cables that are available onthe DVR, remember that you will lose your HD signal when transfering to the DVR, it will only be 480 .

Hope this helps.

Jimbo

It works quite well, actually.
As Jimbos said, you will record just in 480i, but it is a great way to archive programs.

Let's assume you have one set of outputs going from the HR20 to the TV.

You really can not hook the satellite cables directly into the DVDR, they have to go to the receiver first. Then you take the receiver (HR20) output to the DVDR.

You would just hook up a second output from the HR20 and input it to the DVD recorder. Then take a DVD out to another input on the TV. This way you can monitor what you are recording. Keep in mind, as you are recording, make sure you don't change channels on the HR20, as this will change what the DVD records as well.

Some TVs will allow you to capture their output, but the above method is probably the most easy to implement.

One of the nice features of the HR20 is that the analog signals are automatically 480i, even if you are watching on a HD set at 1080i or 720p. I have a HR10-250 and had to set the output to 480 to record to DVD, then I would forget to re-set to the HD format to watch regular content.

I upgraded my Phillips DVD recorder to a Toshiba RD-XS32 which has a hard drive. I can edit out commercials then record to disk. If it is a long program, I will start the transfer when I go to sleep, and the Toshiba allows me to specify a time to stop recording and power the DVD recorder off.

With the Phillips, you can pause during commercials if you wish. I was pretty impressed with it, but found the HDD to be a huge help by being able to edit on the HDD, then dump to DVD.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need more help, I would be glad to help.

Last edited:
Is it possible to transfer recorded videos from the DVR to a computer? If so how? I am on the waitlist for the new HD-DVR and interested in recording HD videos on my PC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)