installing myself

breathe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
so i will be moving to a temporary location by the end of the month (will be there maybe max of 6 mo) and do want to turn on dish home protection and lose the 1 free dish mover per year. I would like to use the free dish mover when i move into the house im having built so that its professionally (hopefully) done.

My question is how do i do this myself? Ive read stuff about a grounding cable?? on my current dish install at my current home I had it professionally installed and I only see two cables running to the side of the house through the wall. Will this be necessary? If yes, how/where/what do i do to install? Also, where do i point the satellite? Any helpful hints? In in Kingman, AZ ZIP code 86401 if needed. any special tools needed? I will be mounting it to the house and running to my 522.

Sears has Install kits in the electronics section ( at least mine does). You will need a level, drill and a compass to start with. How are you mounting the dish, to a wall or using a pole? If you will be renting you probably will not want to drill any holes... The Install kit should have grounding blocks and Rg6 etc... and what dish do you have a Dish 500?

dfergie said:
Sears has Install kits in the electronics section ( at least mine does). You will need a level, drill and a compass to start with. How are you mounting the dish, to a wall or using a pole? If you will be renting you probably will not want to drill any holes... The Install kit should have grounding blocks and Rg6 etc... and what dish do you have a Dish 500?
im going to be installing it on the wall itself, okay'd by the landlord. I have a dish 500. Will i need to buy an install kit? cant i use everything that i currently have setup?

You can, I assumed you would leave the wiring... your Azimuth : 167 Elevation :49 skew: 91 Make sure when you put the mount up it is perfectly level. I use 2 and half inch lagbolts myself... then using compass get dish as close as possible. If you can having a portable Tv and putting the Receiver outside by the dish makes it a lot easier. Use the point dish screen and set for dish 500 and 119 satellite, when you find it move dish from side to side until you get strongest signal...Be Sure you ground it...

dfergie said:
You can, I assumed you would leave the wiring... your Azimuth : 167 Elevation :49 skew: 91 Make sure when you put the mount up it is perfectly level. I use 2 and half inch lagbolts myself... then using compass get dish as close as possible. If you can having a portable Tv and putting the Receiver outside by the dish makes it a lot easier. Use the point dish screen and set for dish 500 and 119 satellite, when you find it move dish from side to side until you get strongest signal...Be Sure you ground it...
thats one of my questions, how do i ground it??

is it a separate cable plugged into the lnb?? where does it ground to?

right now looking at my current dish (which was installed by dish) there are only two cables coming off the lnb, and those go directly to the receiver, i cant see anything else attached to it.

Also, if i dont mess with the settings on the dish itself (such as elevation, skew, etc) i shouldnt need to at the new place correct? just need to make sure its pointing the right way? It points to which direction? southeast or southwest?? I will get a compass, but for comparison, which direction does directv point? there is a directtv satellite setup already there, so just so i have my directions right, id like to know where they point.

breathe said:
thats one of my questions, how do i ground it??

is it a separate cable plugged into the lnb?? where does it ground to?

Grounding Block which mounts to a wall , it is a connector from which you can run a ground wire.

breathe said:
Also, if i dont mess with the settings on the dish itself (such as elevation, skew, etc) i shouldnt need to at the new place correct? just need to make sure its pointing the right way? It points to which direction? southeast or southwest?? I will get a compass, but for comparison, which direction does directv point? there is a directtv satellite setup already there, so just so i have my directions right, id like to know where they point.
You should not have to move elevation or skew as long as you are staying in the same general area. 167 is 13 degrees away from South so it would be left of same. example for my area the D* 101 sat is 158 degrees... the direct Satellite is to the left (as you stand behind facing south) as it is at 101, you need 110 and 119 for E*. Find a local installer and get a grounding block and the wire needed to ground same. or Check the Dishstore.net and see if Claude has them.

dfergie said:
Grounding Block which mounts to a wall , it is a connector from which you can run a ground wire.

You should not have to move elevation or skew as long as you are staying in the same general area. 167 is 13 degrees away from South so it would be left of same. example for my area the D* 101 sat is 158 degrees... the direct Satellite is to the left (as you stand behind facing south) as it is at 101, you need 110 and 119 for E*. Find a local installer and get a grounding block and the wire needed to ground same. or Check the Dishstore.net and see if Claude has them.

do i just connect the ground wire directly to the satellite anywhere or is there a certain spot? Should my current install have one? how can i check?

so i got up and looked at my satellite yesterday and i show no grouning block whatsoever connected (unless its inside the post (the part that the circular part is connected to)). Looks like ill need to go buy one....would i be able to locally get just the grounding block (not the full install kit) at a radioshack or something??

Why wouldnt a dish network installer put a grounding block on?

breathe said:
so i got up and looked at my satellite yesterday and i show no grouning block whatsoever connected (unless its inside the post (the part that the circular part is connected to)). Looks like ill need to go buy one....would i be able to locally get just the grounding block (not the full install kit) at a radioshack or something??

Why wouldnt a dish network installer put a grounding block on?

Seems to happen. In my case the original "professional' installer did not ground the system. It was only after getting an education on this site about grounding did I even notice. I called E* within the 90 day post-install period and they sent out another technician to mount the grounding blocks and run the ground wire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)