Installing on roof using a 8 ft tripod

boniam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
HI,
I am a newbie and had my first satellite install set up for today. The istaller for dish told that he is not able to get clear signal because of trees around the house even while he is standing on roof but he suggested he would put a 8 ft tripod on roof and that might work. He told he will drill holes to put the tripod. I was not sure how will it look or weather or not it is ok to get the roof drilled for tripod. Can you expert please advise if it is safe for roof to get the this roof tripod installation done? Any experience? Any picture will be great. Thanks in advance.

Please advice. I need to reschedule installation or cancel it soon. I will greatly appreciate that.

Thanks for the reply. Is the drilling required fro tripod roof installation in more that normal roof installation. Do they seal it well? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Is the drilling required fro tripod roof installation in more that normal roof installation. Do they seal it well? Thanks.

You won't have any more bolts than a normal roof mount except they will be spread out. It woudn't bother me to have the tripod. I would ask how long the tripod buys you if the extra height is to get over trees.

Where are you located? Is it a single story house or multi story? What services are you subscribing to /which dish are you getting?

Dish Network does not support the install of a dish with tripod on a roof, this practice was stopped by the corporate office several years ago due to wind damage and because it is even more of a eye sore than a dish mounted normaly. If you have to have it then its your call but I dont recommend them either and I have done a couple but only after having the customer sign on the work order that they are releasing us from responsibility and that they understood the issues associated with such an install. Consider that when the wind is hitting the face of the dish that the force of that wind is sent down the length of the tripod into the feet wich are bolted into your roof, if the anchor points are not sealed properly and moisture gets into the wood then it will start to rot and get soft and the next big wind can push the whole thing over.

One other thing to consider to is the type of tripod, they come in various sizes and the best insurance you can get is to go with a tripod with a wide foot print such as using a five foot tall tripod with a 6ft mast wich will allow you to go up to 8ft or get an 8ft pole to get up to 10ft. Smaller tripods such as a three footer will have a smaller foot print with a greater option potential for wind damage.

Dish Network does not support the install of a dish with tripod on a roof, this practice was stopped by the corporate office several years ago due to wind damage and because it is even more of a eye sore than a dish mounted normaly. If you have to have it then its your call but I dont recommend them either and I have done a couple but only after having the customer sign on the work order that they are releasing us from responsibility and that they understood the issues associated with such an install. Consider that when the wind is hitting the face of the dish that the force of that wind is sent down the length of the tripod into the feet wich are bolted into your roof, if the anchor points are not sealed properly and moisture gets into the wood then it will start to rot and get soft and the next big wind can push the whole thing over.
Ohh... i setup another appointment after reading some positive posts. Now I am scared to death. Any more success story??? Thanks for all replies.

Where are you located? Is it a single story house or multi story? What services are you subscribing to /which dish are you getting?
Its a double story single family house. I am subscribing to HDTV, AT100 and some international chanels. I don't know which dish? But he was taking that he needs to install two dishes. Does it matter? Thanks

It really depends on how high the Dish will be mounted above the tripod. The longer the mast, the more leverage the wind has on the mount when it pushes agenst the Dish.

If your using a 5-6 foot pole then you should be ok, however if the installer is doing something crazy like using a 10-12 foot pole I would stay away.

Other thing that the installer should consider is mounting the tripod firmly to your roof rafters and not on the plywood between the rafters.

Many installers use a cordless drill with a 1/2 inch socket on it to drive the lag bolts, with little reguard where the roof rafters are located. Although its not recommended to go into plywood with no support under the Dish, it usually will support a standard Dish just fine.

If the installer goes into the rafters with a good 2.5 or 3 inch lag bolt and drives in a minimum 2 per leg with a pole shorter than 6 feet you should be ok.

Other thing to consider is that worse case scenario the tripod will pull out of the roof and fall over, the only thing that will really be damaged is the Dish with little damage to the roof except where it was bolted in.

If it was me, I would let them do it within reason. Be sure to get the guys name number and a number from the company he works for and keep it on file so you can contact them if you have problems.

You didn't give your location so I have no idea about the angles but with HDTV you have the potential to use the largest dish that DISH currently uses which means it will put more pressure on your mount. A 2 story house is higher up than a single story so wind will be slightly stronger. The slope of the roof will accelerate the wind speed when you are talking a tripod mounted at the peak.

How much is your INSURANCE DEDUCTIBLE? You are asking for a roof leak and potential damage to your roof and if it blows off your neighbors property. Don't think about a normal wind think about THUNDER STORMS/HURRICANE/TORNADOS the uncommon conditions that will cause high winds.

They make gable mounts that should accommodate an 1 5/8 pipe that will eliminate roof penetration.

If you are doing this to get over a tree this would only be a very temporary solution, would it not? If this gets you line of site over a tree what happens when the tree grows? Do you get an even taller tripod.? why not just cut the tree now and be done.

I totally agree with this, however (change :) ) tripods are allowed now. I can see using it as a RV install. If the only option was on a roof with a tripod, for the risk for damage to cheat line of sight that'll just grow in, not worth the time and effort.

If you are doing this to get over a tree this would only be a very temporary solution, would it not? If this gets you line of site over a tree what happens when the tree grows? Do you get an even taller tripod.? why not just cut the tree now and be done.
Not necesarily, I've installed dishes many times pointing over the tops of tree's that I knew were at max hieght so if a tripod is needed then it should be ok to do so. Cutting down a tree is an entirely diferent matter and that gets into the potential for alot of money not just for removing the tree but for repairing the yard and what may be below ground. The worst I saw for tree removal was $1,500 for a single tree that wasnt very big through a company.

I totally agree with this, however (change :) ) tripods are allowed now. I can see using it as a RV install. If the only option was on a roof with a tripod, for the risk for damage to cheat line of sight that'll just grow in, not worth the time and effort.
This doesnt surprise me and follows along the lines of " what ever it takes " that dish has adopted over the last two years. They stopped the use of tripods in 02 due to roof damages from improper installs ( 3 foot tripod with an 8ft pole at its max hieght, lack of sealer). I bet they either have reinstated bucket mounts for apartments or are in the process, god they want to take over the number one position so bad:rolleyes:

Thanks for all replys. I am in MA in zip 01464. Cutting trees in not an option for me because the longest tree is actaully in not in my property. I am frustrated with Comcast CABLE so much that i am willing to take some chance as long as it doens't risk roof or the risk is very low.

You know there is another option that you could go for. I did quite a few antenna tower mounts during my career and some were to get above tree's. A properly cemented and atached antenna tower is a good option for mounting a dish and for dropping the cable. The average tower for a single story usually goes about 6 - 10 ft above the roof line, if you have a two story home you might be able to find a tower but you could also get two single story towers and bolt them together easily ( seen it done ). You'll have to cement the bottom into the ground and the top will have to be atached to the fascia ( it would be a good idea to also add a roof secure bracket along with the fascia bracket for the two story option ) or use guy wires atached to the house and the upper portion of the tower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts