interested in swithing to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nomad816

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
I have been with D* since 94 but I no longer get the Sunday Ticket so the reasons for staying have melted away.

I like all the HD which is why I haven't switched yet.

What I need
- OTA antenna input for my HD locals
- regional RSN in HD(FSN Cincinnati)
- 2 TVs 1 hd with DVR and 1 standard(DVR would be nice)

does Dish carry CSN(college sports network)?

what package do you have to get for your local RSN?

How much a month for all the RSNs?

What should I do for the best deal?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I recently switched from D* recently (just this August, right as the TurboHD was launching).

I selected the TurboHD Gold package that includes my RSN although the TurboHD Silver also includes your RSN. TurboHD Bronze doesn't include the RSN, but it can be added for a fee.

Your "free" RSN varies based on your location, but I've Fox Sports NorthWest up here in Seattle (FSN Nortwest). The selections I see for HD RSN's are (I add the full list as other potential customers may be interested):

CSN West (Note, CSN here is COMCAST Sports Network, not College Sports Network. I don't know if that is what you ment or if that is an entirely different channel).
Altitude
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN Arizona
FSN SouthWest
FSN West
FSN MidWest
CSN Bay Area
FSN South
Sun Sports
FSN Florida
CSN Mid-Atlantic
FSN Ohio
FSN NorthWest
FSN Cincinnati
FSN Pittsburgh
CSN Chicago
FSN Detroit
Sports Time Ohio
New England Sports Network
CSN New England
FSN North
Sports South
SportsNet New York

All of the above are HD.

In additon, besides the above RSN networks, TurboHD Silver and TurboHD Gold also receive:

ESPNHD
ESPN2HD
ESPNEWSHD
HD NFL (pretty cool)
BIGTEN Networks HD

Note that BigTen Networks states though: "**Available in: Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and sections of Pennsylvania and Indiana. Available in other areas with Multi Sport Pack for $5.99/mo. "

See DISH Network -- Dish HD for more of the TurboHD lineups.

Here's the link for the Multi-Sports Package: DISH Network -- America's Top 180. You basically get all the RSN's plus the NBA and NHL channels too for as little as $5.99 per month.

College Sports TV - Channel 152 is in the Americas Top 200 package and is not yet HD. So you may see this inclusion in the future when an HD format is released into the TurboHD Gold or Premium package. If this is the channel you want, you'll need to subscribe to the TOP 200 package and then add on the Platinum HD package for $10.00 more per month for the HD channels.

As for the equipment. When you subscribe to a TurboHD package (if you only want ALL HD stations only) or a package with the HD in addition, you'll receive the equipment you need for the service.

1. Dish or Dishes: This includes the appropriate dish or dishes combination for your location. Eastern Arc lives, so if you are in that local, you should receive a single 1000.4 EA dish that receives three SATs.

2. Switches: If required, a DISH "separator" was used to allow both tunners on my 722 to use a single RG6 connection.

3. Receivers: ViP 722 HD DVR will satisfy your needs. It has three Tunners (one OTA, two SAT) and can output different Live TV or recordings to two different TV's. 1 HDTV (TV1, via Component or HDMI) and 1 SDTV (composite or coax). Two remotes are provided, one IR for TV1 and one RF for TV2. Works very well in the different rooms in our house, but this may vary based on construction. The ViP 722 can operate in two different modes and is easy to change with a push button on the front of the reciver. These are single mode where both SAT tunners are available to TV1 and allows for Picture-in-Picture as well as Dual-mode, where one tunner is for TV1 and one tunner is for TV2. Dual mode does not have PIP.

For the OTA to provide a guide, you have to subscribe to your locals package. In addition, the DISH installers will not normally hook up the OTA feature for you. You'll likely have to pay for that install separately if you have no OTA setup currently, or have the coax for that connection right next to the reciver for them to connect (what I'd done myself). But it's pretty cool that you can record these shows and the flexibility of having all three tunners is really cool!

I've the TurboHD Gold package with my local HD channels with the DVR for less than $10.00 for the SD package I used to have on D* with an R16 DVR. The differences is night and day for me and I'm extremely pleased. There are a few less channels than I used to receive, but once on HD, I really can't stand SD channels anymore anyways. Why pay for them if you'll likely not watch them?

I'm also excited to see the additional HD content coming over time. DISH is really moving forward hard on their HD plans and have several SAT's coming into play (EchoStar XI just in service or about to be in service and Ciel-2 in November or December). This additional capacity and the move to MPEG 4 should allow them to add even more!

"College Sports TV - Channel 152 is in the Americas Top 200 package and is not yet HD."

Actually this channel is available in HD with Dish. They just havent shown any content yet.

Sweeeet!!!!

So depending on ones viewing choices, either America's Top 200 + Platinum HD + Multi-Sports Package is the best package.

Or

In my case, it was TurboHD Gold + Locals. This is 49.99 per month for myself and get's me what I want. You'd then add the Multi-sports package to that.

Guess it all depends on if they add the College Sports TV HD to TurboHD Gold or Platinum soon or not. As that is a future speculation, I'm not sure how you'd get a solid confirmation on if that is happening.

In either case, I expect you'll be more than pleased with the results of the ViP 722 and the current HD lineup (really the best DVR I've "ever" used. CNET magazine and many others also agree).

CBS College Sports(ch 152) is available in America's Top 200 + Silver HD and higher. Its already been added about a month ago, when Dish added their 20 or so HD channels(8/1, I believe). Come tomorrow they will be broadcasting college football games in HD.

The Turbo Silver package at Dish seems like an excellent deal for me. According to their website-I could get an all HD Silver package with 2 HD DVR's (each splitting off to a HD and SD TV), 1 cent Cinemax for a year, three months of HBO/ Showtime, locals(?) and it looks like the cost will be around $44 a month.

My concerns before leaving Directv are:
1) Will my $44 price shoot up dramatically with taxes and other add on fees?
2) Is this HD package price a short time promotion?

DishSatUser, have you gotten your first bill yet? Did your price jump up?

I'm also hoping that I can go by a Sat dealer in my area (Lexington, NC) and they can help me figure out how to run the RG6 (and how many RG6 cables) upstairs to my three TVs there. I am assuming that they would charge a fortune to run it through walls themselves . Any advice?

And does the Dishnetwork dish face the opposite direction from Directv?

Why doesn't Dish carry Fox College Sports? Most of the cable carriers in college football territory carry it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts