Interesting HDdvd link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not good. Besides having a format war, it looks like HD-DVD is not going to support us early adopters that have HDTVs without HDCP. It looks like they are all trying their best to destroy HD DVD before it's even launched.

If this is true, they just lost a sale from me. At least, until I replace my HDTV. And I'm not planning on doing that for another couple of years or until one of the new technology has PQ as good as a CRT RPTV.

markd, look on the bright side, the new players will be so expensive on first release, that by the time you buy an HDMI compliant TV, the players will be $200.

DarrellP said:
markd, look on the bright side, the new players will be so expensive on first release, that by the time you buy an HDMI compliant TV, the players will be $200.

Not if he isn't the only one not buying HD-DVD players!:D

I don't know, it will most likely be another three to five years before I even think about buying another TV, for one I need money, and I'd like to wait as long as possible for the best product to come out. So I figure that it will be about that much time before I buy HD-DVD. I am not in that big of a hurry, and I would venture to guess that the majority of people out there are not either, (hell I know people that still don't DVD players) so I have a feeling that the price of these players (and perhaps even the disk) will remain very high for some time.

DarrellP said:

That's a good point. But tonyp56 might be right also. Of course, I could look at it that by that time they'll have the bugs worked out of them in later generations of players.

It looks like we are heading into a protracted DVD Audio/SACD type war where no one wins.

And Hollywood will continue to hemorrage as the easily cracked DeCSS code is not providing any protection anymore. People won't pay MORE for better quality discs IF they are losing too many capabilities they enjoy with the current generation of technology (The CD SHOULD have died 3 years ago, but their inability to allow bass management/easy copying of tracks to mix discs/supply enough product/price it competitively/availability in car stereos & boomboxes killed it).

I'd love a 1080i or 720p DVD, but I'm not paying $10-20 more a disc to get it when it won't play on my portable DVD player.

The extra security may just have handed victory to Sony as consumers with only analog component video connections will have to go the Sony route.

My Sony has a DVI connection that is taken up by my 921. My current DVD Recorder is fed through my TV which has a few component video connections still available. Will the HDDVDs play on my TV, or does it have to go through the DVI connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)