Interesting situation

C

clayky

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 25, 2004
31
1
I've had E* for about 6 months (and D* for years) and had bought the equipment (311) outright to avoid a contract. However I'm about to move and need to pick one of the two and WAS going to go with E* but I want a DVR, the only problem is E* says go to your local retailer and buy one for $399. UH WHAT???? How am I any different from someone that calls up and agrees to their 18 month lease?

What's really irritating is that I know after the account has been shut off for a week they'll offer what I'm looking for......unfortunately it will be too late as I will have already commited to D* for moving me.
 
Jahntassa

Jahntassa

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 4, 2004
99
0
Atlanta, GA
Pretty much what you said, you didn't call up and agree to the lease. It's just like a cellphone. If you don't want a contract, you have to pay full price for the phone. They make up for the cost of equipment in the fact that you say you'll pay them at least x amount for y amount of time.

Also, the waiting the week may not work, i'm pretty sure both services will see you as a returning customer, and not a new one.
 
J

Jared Twomey

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2005
2,066
0
Tacoma, WA
i'm sure someone will chime in with the exact time limit... but Dish will let you sign up under a promo and a Returning customer but not for a while.... I think about 6 months or so, but i cant remember exactly

what I would try is to call and just see if they will run the application for a promo... give them a different address, phone number, and credit card number than you used before... even though you use the same social security number, sometimes it works. You definately cant use the same credit card number, that shows you are an exsisting customer almost every time.

just what i would try
 
jerryez

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
4,491
958
Pensacola,FL
If you moved, call them as a new customer with your wives name and ssn. They should accept you as a new customer.
 
C

clayky

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 25, 2004
31
1
jerryez said:
If you moved, call them as a new customer with your wives name and ssn. They should accept you as a new customer.

Fortunately I'm single lol, and that won't work. I'll just keep D* and commit to another year through the mover's program and E* will call a week later offering anything I want to come back. What a dumb way to do business.
 
D

Dish Dude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 11, 2005
354
0
i don't see your point at all in this situation, most services similar to satellite offer reduced costs to new customers who agree to a lease, because of the guaranteed revenue stream, so why would they give the same deal to someone, lose money on the receiver and not have a guarantee on expected payments. you are basically saying you want a $500 receiver for $50, and expect them to give you that deal without any kind of a lease? i think your remarks show that you don't do business very often. lease at $35 programming per month for $18 months=$630, with the basic programming package, but you want $50 and no guarantee, for a $400+ RX.
 
C

clayky

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 25, 2004
31
1
Dish Dude said:
i don't see your point at all in this situation, most services similar to satellite offer reduced costs to new customers who agree to a lease, because of the guaranteed revenue stream, so why would they give the same deal to someone, lose money on the receiver and not have a guarantee on expected payments. you are basically saying you want a $500 receiver for $50, and expect them to give you that deal without any kind of a lease? i think your remarks show that you don't do business very often. lease at $35 programming per month for $18 months=$630, with the basic programming package, but you want $50 and no guarantee, for a $400+ RX.

Obviously you don't read previous posts very often. I said I'm perfectly willing to SIGN up for the PROMOTION for 18 MONTHS JUST like everyone else. I'm not currently, nor have I ever been, UNDER a contract with E* in other words give me the #$%^ DVR and I'll sign the dotted line. Geez.
 
D

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
5,351
1,230
Uh, you don't really understand Dish Network do you? It's the house Charlie built, and he didn't do it by giving away equipment and handing you back money you just gave him after you already decided to go the "owners" route, and owning makes absolutly no economic sense as a consumer. Anyway, the promotion you want is offered to "new, first-time" customers. Charlie aint gonna beg you for nothing. Me thinks the begging will be on Ebay. Now, if you want to keep giving Charlie your money for the next 6 months, then he feels you've paid your dues after being a customer in good-standing for one year, and he will allow you a lease upgrade that will still cost you 100% more than if you had leased in the first place. Oh, and if you leave Dish, you will never be a "first-time" customer. Let us all know at how much of a discount you will be selling your Dish equipment on Ebay so we can get our bids in early. Now you know why Charlie outlasted all his numerous deep-pocketed satellite competition back in the 1990's, except for Direct TV with its very early head-start being the first DBS provider in the U.S., of course. Charlie's smoking your dough now. We's is afraid's of him. Charlie scary.
 
Last edited:
C

clayky

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 25, 2004
31
1
DishSubLA said:
Uh, you don't really understand Dish Network do you? It's the house Charlie built, and he didn't do it by giving away equipment and handing you back money you just gave him after you already decided to go the "owners" route, and owning makes absolutly no economic sense as a consumer. Anyway, the promotion you want is offered to "new, first-time" customers. Charlie aint gonna beg you for nothing. Me thinks the begging will be on Ebay. Now, if you want to keep giving Charlie your money for the next 6 months, then he feels you've paid your dues after being a customer in good-standing for one year, and he will allow you a lease upgrade that will still cost you 100% more than if you had leased in the first place. Oh, and if you leave Dish, you will never be a "first-time" customer. Let us all know at how much of a discount you will be selling your Dish equipment on Ebay so we can get our bids in early. Now you know why Charlie outlasted all his numerous deep-pocketed satellite competition back in the 1990's, except for Direct TV with its very early head-start being the first DBS provider in the U.S., of course. Charlie's smoking your dough now. We's is afraid's of him. Charlie scary.

That explains why he's the #2 provider and I waited so long to join. So long Charlie.
 
C

clayky

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 25, 2004
31
1
DishSubLA said:
Uh, you don't really understand Dish Network do you? It's the house Charlie built, and he didn't do it by giving away equipment and handing you back money you just gave him after you already decided to go the "owners" route, and owning makes absolutly no economic sense as a consumer. Anyway, the promotion you want is offered to "new, first-time" customers. Charlie aint gonna beg you for nothing. Me thinks the begging will be on Ebay. Now, if you want to keep giving Charlie your money for the next 6 months, then he feels you've paid your dues after being a customer in good-standing for one year, and he will allow you a lease upgrade that will still cost you 100% more than if you had leased in the first place. Oh, and if you leave Dish, you will never be a "first-time" customer. Let us all know at how much of a discount you will be selling your Dish equipment on Ebay so we can get our bids in early. Now you know why Charlie outlasted all his numerous deep-pocketed satellite competition back in the 1990's, except for Direct TV with its very early head-start being the first DBS provider in the U.S., of course. Charlie's smoking your dough now. We's is afraid's of him. Charlie scary.

Well not only did "Charlie" beg on cancellation day (Wednesday), but "he" just called back 72 hours later to please come back. What a dumb business model. Btw, the 311 receiver went for $75 on e-bay.
 
AlaJoe

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 5, 2005
417
210
Sure seems like a lot of hostile post here and I do not get them. I am with Clay here. Right now he is a premium customer. E* has given him no equipment installations or anything, He basically paid money out of his own pocket to find out if he likes Dish Network. Now that he decided he likes it and wants to keep it and does not mind committing to an 18 month contract why should he not now be able to take advantage of what is offered to new customers. Any good businessman will tell you it cost a whole lot more to get a new customer than it does to keep an existing one.
 
C

clayky

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 25, 2004
31
1
AlaJoe said:
Sure seems like a lot of hostile post here and I do not get them. I am with Clay here. Right now he is a premium customer. E* has given him no equipment installations or anything, He basically paid money out of his own pocket to find out if he likes Dish Network. Now that he decided he likes it and wants to keep it and does not mind committing to an 18 month contract why should he not now be able to take advantage of what is offered to new customers. Any good businessman will tell you it cost a whole lot more to get a new customer than it does to keep an existing one.

Thanks. It's the same reason cell phone companies do it, hence the full page ads in the newspaper everyday. TERRIBLE business practices.
 
skyviewmark

skyviewmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 29, 2006
1,630
23
Bay Minette, Al
The policy is bascially the same for both E* and D*.. New customers are what they want.. But both have former customer policies that allow you to come back and get all new equipment again. Dish has a 6 months policy that you have to wait to come back. And you have to have been a good customer. Not sure about D*'s waiting period but I know they have a policy.

For all of you that complain about E* not helping out existing customers, I do believe they have the best exisiting customer promotions around. But the one thing I do know for sure is that they really don't want to loose a customer. You just have to get around the system a bit. The recovery team is authorized to just about give you the moon to keep you. You just have to get through the gate and the gatekeeper is the CSR you call to talk to first. You don't get to the recovery team until you actually shut off..

My guess is D* is the same way. Neither wants to loose customers.
 

Similar threads

navy8ball
Replies
5
Views
1K
Claude Greiner
Claude Greiner
HanoverPretzel
Replies
18
Views
3K
dwarren2
dwarren2
S
Replies
10
Views
2K
MikeD-C05
MikeD-C05
DWS44
Replies
1
Views
964
Liquidforce88
Liquidforce88

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top