Interesting to see how this affects satellite and cable sports package pricing

cfb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
California
I see that Roku has announced an update to the Roku player that lets you hook it up to your MLB.COM premium account. You'll be able to watch most out of market games and in market games 90 minutes after they air, along with being able to watch any game from the last 7 days.

$34 a year, plus the $99 Roku player.

That pretty seriously undercuts Directv's $134 a year and Comcast's $139.

I havent subscribed to the MLB package on directv or comcast before, any big gaps between what the mlb roku package and the satellite/cable offerings?

Crossing my fingers that the NFL decides to do a deal with Roku. I'm a little tired of paying almost $400 to watch one out of market game every week. Under $100 a year to be able to your favorite team and watch them on the Roku box would be pretty appealing.

Let's see. You have to wait until 90 minutes after the game starts, which means that games will not end until 11:30pm and west coast games will end at 2:30am on the east coast. This is supposed to be competition to live games in HD??? :rolleyes::rolleyes: And that doesn't even include download time. If games happen to be in HD (which I doubt there will be many if any) it would take a long time to download.

Don't think EI or MLB.net have anything to worry about.

the NFL package is exclusive, it won't appear for $50 one day on Roku without changes to DirecTV's agreement.

I'd love to see it too, sure, but it wont happen. There are a ton of ways to get baseball games, as you've shown in your post (multiple providers, online, and now Roku gets the online to TV), this is not the cast with NFL games and won't change.

Let's see. You have to wait until 90 minutes after the game starts, which means that games will not end until 11:30pm and west coast games will end at 2:30am on the east coast. This is supposed to be competition to live games in HD??? :rolleyes::rolleyes: And that doesn't even include download time. If games happen to be in HD (which I doubt there will be many if any) it would take a long time to download.

Don't think EI or MLB.net have anything to worry about.

As I understand it, its only games that are being broadcast on your local channels that are delayed 90 minutes. Games out of your local market are available immediately.

No need to download it first, its streaming media with a buffer. You might wait a minute or two for the buffer to fill before the streaming starts, but thats at the far end of it.

Once the buffer is filled and the streaming starts, the only delay is if you fast forward out of the buffer. Then maybe a 30-45 second rebuffering.

Its more like watching Hulu than downloading a show.

I wonder if Directv's NFL contract includes the NFL streaming games over the internet to subscribers. I know they have a package for streaming games if you live outside of the US, but not inside the US.

That package runs about $210 and lets you watch any game, live or streamed when you want to watch it.

Yep, I'm familiar with what they're doing with superfan. Been a subscriber for quite a while.

I know they have exclusive broadcast rights, just not sure if they have exclusive streaming rights, especially to non directv customers. Perhaps they do.

Either way, might have an effect on the next go-round of negotiations.

Hearing form some that have done it. A few things to mention:

1. The HD stream is a highly compromised 720 image. Very noticeable when compared to watching the game directly from your satellite or cable TV source on your TV.
  2. The price is the same as that of MLB.tv. So a full year is $120 for HD. This is a good alternative for those that cannot get EI, but if you have EI through Direct at least, I believe the slightly higher price for Direct is a better option if picking between one or the other.
  3. The advantage is with the on-line subscription is you can watch it from any computer with internet access. With EI, you can only watch it from your own service.

I'm sure they squish the picture quality. The netflix offerings are sometimes very overcompressed.

Where did you see the $120 for HD? I'm looking at the MLB.TV site right now and it says $34.95. There is an "MLB.TV and ESPN Insider" package for $129.99. The $34.95 package says it includes HD.

I've noticed directv offering the nascar package for free to its subscribers this year, this cheap mlb option and directv giving the NFL sunday ticket + superfan to subscribers for <$200 if the customer calls and asks.

At least there is more competition and price pressure in the sports segment. Lets hope the trend continues.

That $34.95 price is for the remainder of the 2009 MLB regular season.

Same price as anyone that buys MLB TV from their ISP for the rest of the season.

Will be the same price as all other MLB TV providers for a full season.

No big deal unlesss you are a Dish sub. IMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts