Intermittent Inoperable 21.1 remote control

cruiser83

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Ok, so I am totally perplexed by an ongoing intermittent remote control issue with the UHF TV2 remote. Recent upgrade to 722 receiver. For first few days the 21.1 IR/UHF PRO model remote worked great, then one day it was just not working, I did a reboot, changed batteries, changed remote address, moved around the UHF antenna, all the obvious things. I could hold the remote directly next to the antenna and still nothing. Then for no apparent reason, it would just start working again.

After this same scenario happened a few times I finally decided it was a faulty remote and contacted Dish. They sent me a new 21.1 remote, I got it all programmed up last night, it worked fine for a few hours and then BOOM, nothing....or, not necessarily nothing, maybe every 10 to 15th button push, the receiver would respond. However, here is the kicker, I have an old 6.3 model remote that works fine, I can literally hold it in my left hand in the TV2 location and it works fine and I can have the 21.1 remote in my right hand and it does nothing.
What gives? Why are 2 different brand new 21.1's fading in and out of life while an old 6.3 works like a champ?

Oh yea, one additional tidbit, the first 722 had a problem, Dish sent me a replacement 722 and the remote issue has occurred with both receivers.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hello. Have you tried to disconnect and reconnect the UHF Antenna? We may need to replace the UHF Antenna to pinpoint the issue that is occurring. Please send us a private message with the phone number or account number and 4 digit PIN.

Hello. Have you tried to disconnect and reconnect the UHF Antenna? We may need to replace the UHF Antenna to pinpoint the issue that is occurring. Please send us a private message with the phone number or account number and 4 digit PIN.

Hi Laila, thank you for the quick reply, I did disconnect the antenna on the first fault receiver and then of course when I disconnected it to connect to the replacement receiver, that is the last time it was disconnected. I will PM info.

Is your 722 near your main TV and is it an LCD? Back lighting and auto brightness controls often interfere with IR, but has been reported to affect UHF as well.

Also, have you double checked the little toggle switch in battery compartment to see that it is set to IR/UHF and not IR?

Also, have you double checked the little toggle switch in battery compartment to see that it is set to IR/UHF and not IR?

Hi, The toggle switches are set to UHF. The 722 is near the main TV but it is a plasma screen. The "TV 2" is an LED LCD, could it cause interference not being anywhere near the receiver?

Hi, The toggle switches are set to UHF. The 722 is near the main TV but it is a plasma screen. The "TV 2" is an LED LCD, could it cause interference not being anywhere near the receiver?
It's possible, as the interference would be with the UHF signal, and not the expected IR for an LED. If the TV is putting off anything that can interfere with RF, then very much so can affect the remote workings. Have you asked for a pigtail or tried a pigtail?

I have a FTA satellite receiver for 97 west that if it was powered on causes the TV2 remote on a 222k not to operate, I think I eventually figured out that the HDMI out was operating in the 25 mhz to 680 MHz range and either the 1.29 HDMI cable or the 6.00 3x1 HDMI switch I was using was on the same range as the UHF remote. When I upgraded to a 2.00 HDMI cable and a 10.00 5x1 HDMI switch the problem went away.

Besides checking HDMI cables you could also check any USB cables and USB devices especially USB 3.0 devices and any external 12v or 5V power adapters near by.

It's possible, as the interference would be with the UHF signal, and not the expected IR for an LED. If the TV is putting off anything that can interfere with RF, then very much so can affect the remote workings. Have you asked for a pigtail or tried a pigtail?

If by pigtail, you mean an antenna extender, I have not tried one yet, A DIRT member kindly offered to send me a new UHF antenna and extender, so I will try that when it arrives.

That's what the pigtail is. Easy to make it if you didn't get that. Coax, barrel connector. That's all.
Yup, just what you said it was, coax and a barrel connector. Going on about 48 hours now since I hooked it up and so far the remote has been fine although the problem was so intermittent that I need another 2 days before I am willing to say that it's fixed, but it's off to a good start.

Thanks again to LailaS from DIRT for sending the extender.

Now if only they would fix the Hopper remote issues of losing the ability to be linked or reset. Can't even press and hold the sat on one of my 40.0's.

No luck, back to the drawing board. Both the 21.1 remotes went on the fritz again last night and as always the 6.3 worked just fine.

I am going to try a couple of the other suggestions, If all else fails I will buy another 6.3 model remote from Ebay and retire the 21.1's.

Reactions: bspei
Besides the things I mentioned earlier about cheap HDMI cables, USB 3.0 cables and DC power transformers, if you happen to use a MT-2 OTA module in the 722k you might want to check the 75-ohm connector, also on the home distribution settings in the 722k menu under modulator setup what channel do you use for the modulator of TV 1 and TV 2, I think it lets you also turn off TV 1 and lower the power level under connection from home distribution to direct connect (lower powered) since most people don't use these any more I wish they would also let you turn off the ch3/4 for TV1.