Intermittent signal problem now a no signal problem

cnidawg

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Recently had intermittent signal problem which is now a no signal problem. Receiver would acquire signal (>100) then over a few seconds the signal would fade to loss of lock, then reacq, then fade... Now nothing. This seemed to be worse during the day but it also happened at night. Troubleshooting: Checked to make sure the dish was secure (it is); preformed switch check; checked all coax connections; bypassed switch; bypassed diplexers; checked DC voltage at receiver, both sides of switch, and at LNBFs, (12.8-18.6 volts which varied with channel selected); hooked receiver to phone line (for the first time); took receiver outside and connected directly to LNBF through short coax; removed smart card; unplugged receiver (one time for at least an hour). Nothing made any difference in signal acq/loss cycle other than now I have no signal. Dish tech support initially said must be a coax problem, then the suggested it might be a receiver problem or the dish is misaligned. They suggested I connect the receiver to a known good system. (drive around the neighborhood looking for someone with a D500 and a legacy LNBF). I'm out of technical ideas. When I connected the phone line and dialed out it came back and said something to the effect of smart card record updated. Could Dish somehow have disabled the receiver? Is there any way to get additional diagnostic info out of the receiver? I've never had any problems until a week ago. My guess is this is a very simple problem to solve but I've completely over analyzed it and missed the intuitively obvious answer.

Dish 500, 2 legacy dual LNBF (Sat 110, 119), SW21, 3900 receiver

First guess was a bad Legacy LNB. Second guess was a bad SW21 because it was common to both LNBs and 2 LNBs usually don't fail at the same time but seeing you bypassed the switch I guess I would go back to the LNBs both failing. Look for a Legacy Twin or Quad as a replacement and get rid of the SW21.
I would have to guess at at least 5 years of use from the 3900 and Legacy LNBs.

It is time to upgrade since this one has been in use for 7 and a half years (trouble free). It's just more fun to try and figure out the exact problem.

Just because the receiver backfeeds the correct voltage doesn't rule out a bad receiver. Since I agree with boba that two LNB's won't go out at the same time-especially with fading and reaquiring characteristics- I'm gonna shoot for a bad receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)