This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

internal drive not spinning up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scicomdata

Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
minnesota
anyone know why my wd320gb internal will not spin up when attached to winvista pc?
works fine in hddvr but no spinup when hooked to sata port on computer.
my desire is to use it in windows instead of hddvr

Does it spin up when you just have the power plug on but no sata?

If it does, then the drive is an old one thats 'locked'. Might also be set to "poweron in standby".

You'll need a boot disk or special utility to unlock the drive or disable the poweron-in-standby function.

Just as an additional aside...if you bust that drive and put it back in the dvr, when directv gets it back they'll charge you a brazillion dollars for returning a non functional dvr.

320gb hard drives are pretty darn cheap and you wont have to fiddle with unlocking it.

Are we really sure it won't actually "spin up"? Or is it just a matter of it not being formatted in a manner that Windoze can mount? Have you tried viewing it within a disk utility program to make sure it is really not being seen?

And don't worry about the satellite police garnishing your bank account if the drive isn't kosher when DTV gets it. That won't happen and Obama won't unplug Grandma, either.

And don't worry about the satellite police garnishing your bank account if the drive isn't kosher when DTV gets it.

Whats your evidence of this?

I'm pretty sure you're okay if you return the unit in working condition with its original parts in it. I'm pretty sure if you dont, you'll get charged. The contract does say in original condition and working order.

Status
Please reply by conversation.