International channel problem in Dish

madhabi77

Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Kent, Ohio
Hi All,

I am very new in this forum. I am moving to a new apartment where I want to take the all Indian channel which is called 'Hindi mega pack' from dish network. But I am not sure in which direction of the sky in my balcony should be open to get the signal for Indian channel . I have a choise between two apartments. One has south west sky open, and the other has south east sky open. I live in streetsboro, Ohio. My zipcode is 44241. I talked with the dish guy but they make me very confused . Someone said I need the south west sky, other says I need the south east sky. In my balcony I can not get the full southern sky, I can only get south east side or south west side. Can anybody please help me in this matter. I need to know:

1> In my zipcode 44241, which dish I need to get all Indian channel?

2> From which satelite I will get the signals?

3> To get the signal for Indian channel, which direction of the sky should be open in my balcony?

4> what are the azimuth, elevation angle mean? how much they are in my place to get the channel?

5> Is it possible to have a survey guy who can come and check the signal with a low fee ( if it's free, that would be great for me! )? whom should I contact with for that?

Please please help me in this matter, because I am trying to get the channels for long time. Thanks a lot.

Currently Hindi Mega pack is available on two satellites, 118.7 and 61.5.

118.7 is southwest, where as 61.5 is south east.

Dish is currently moving all the international programming from 61.5 to 118.7.

So, it is better to install antenna for 118.7

118.7 is FSS satellite and needs a bigger dish. (500+ or 1000+). The difference is number of LNB's.

500+ (110,118.7 and 119)
1000+ (100, 118.7, 119 and 129)

If you don't have line of sight for 118.7, then go for 61.5 or Eastern Arc setup.

Thanks guys...My apartment is in the 2nd floor, and the balcony is west facing. But if I put the dish in the corners of the balcony, then I should get the south west side for the signal. What do you think about this guys?

Is there any specific angle in south west or any range of angles at which I need to point the dish?

Thanks.....

See the link in my post. In your ZIP code, 118.7/119 will be at about an azimuth of 129 degrees (180 is due south). Almost due Southwest. 110 would be at about 120 degrees.

Hi Robert,

I checked your link. But with my zipcode 44241, and selecting dish500+ for 118.7 W, I got the azimuth (true) : 224.7 and azimuth (magn) : 233.1.

I don't understand why your and my numbers are different?

If the azimuth angle is the compass angle, then 224.7 or 233.1 is south west.

If the balcony is facing true west, you should be okay with the angle but an installer should do a site survey to be certain there are no trees or taller buildings blocking the line of site. You will not need a Dish 500 if you are going to subscribe to only International channels on 118. 118 will require a 30" dish while a Dish 500 or even a 300 would work with 61.5.
Good luck.

Hi Robert,

I checked your link. But with my zipcode 44241, and selecting dish500+ for 118.7 W, I got the azimuth (true) : 224.7 and azimuth (magn) : 233.1.

I don't understand why your and my numbers are different?

If the azimuth angle is the compass angle, then 224.7 or 233.1 is south west.

Selecting Dish 500+ gives you the centerline of where the Dish needs to be aimed. But it is picking up multiple satellites from multiple locations. You need line of sight to all the locations. Thus, each satellite needs to be checked individually for line of sight.

Yes, azimuth it simply compass angle, given for both the true bearing and with the magnetic inclination.

With the mapping tool you can zoom in and put the marker right on your balcony to get a rough idea of where you need line of sight.

You can setup an appt. with dish network and they can tell you if you get the signal to the South Asian channels. You can only pay the installation charges if you get the clear line of sight for your satellites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)