International + HD channels Question??

Stouk

Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Hello,

1st time posting, long time reader. This is a great site!! Thanks for all the great info, but now it's time to get off my rump and do something.

I currently have a Superdish with access to 110-119-121. The 121 for the Greek channels for my elderly father. I would like to get HD programing, but I don't understand what I need for both with all the changes going on!! I understand that I would need access to 129, but I am confused with the Greek stations.
A phone call to Dish customer service did a great job of this!!

Let me better explain what happened. I recieved a call from Dish, telling me that the Greek stations were going to move, and I must contact them. So I did. The rep infomed me that the Greek stations were moving to 148, and that the Superdish was being eliminated. Dish would come out and remove the Superdish, and replace it with two other dishes.

So far, so good. I told him ok, but If I wanted to recieve HD programing, what do I have to do? I told him that I thought that the internationals were going to 118, and since this was happening, why do I need two different dishes. Why couldn't I use the 1000+, and have only one dish for all? He said that my info was wrong, and this is the only way to do it!! After a few more questions from me, he seemed to get mad, and got quite. After a few hellos I realized that he disconnected me!! :eek: No big deal, but I still do not know what I have to do?
This is why I came to you, HELP, What do I have do do? Do I need 2 dishes? If so which ones? Can I convert the Superdish? Can I use the Dish 1000+.
I want to do this right for the future. No more changes for a while!!

Thanks, sorry this is so long.

Lots of options.
To get a more stable PQ:
Add Dish 61.5.
If it is out of sight then add a seperate dish 129.
You will need also a new switch DP44+

If you have access to 61.5 then all you need is 2 dishes and a DP34

Greek channels are on 61.5/148 and 121
HD is on 61.5/129

What is your location?

I live in St. Clair Shores Michigan. So I will need two dishes. How do I go about this with Dish?

If you're in Michigan, you should have 2 dishes
110/119 for main programming
61.5 for international/HD programming

Just call Dish back if you are looking to upgrade to HD. Tell them you have a Int'l channel that is on 61.5 so you will need 2 dishes. A Dish500 and a Dish300

I also have locals on dish. Can I keep the Superdish, and modify it to recieve all the Satellites I need?

no. Because 61.5 is too far off of 110/119

locals are on 110. Unless you're talking HD locals (for Detroit) and then its a whole different animal.

Ok 2 dishes then. What if i want locals in hd? Also, what is the 118 sat used for?

Sorry about the other thread, he responded to my first post and i didn't want to be rude by not answering him.

Stouk said:
Ok 2 dishes then. What if i want locals in hd? Also, what is the 118 sat used for?

Sorry about the other thread, he responded to my first post and i didn't want to be rude by not answering him.

If you have Detroit locals right now, the HD Locals are on 118 so that requires a different dish (the Dish500+ or DIsh1000+)

You still will need 2 diushes regardless because the international channel is only on 61.5 or 148. National HD is on 110 (old HD pack) and 61.5/129 (new channels)

So to get HD local + Nat'l locals + Greek package you need either
-Dish500+ and a Dish300 (if available) or
-Dish1000+ and a Dish300

Dish 300 would look at 61.5

Outstanding Info Iceberg thanks!!!

Of course this leads to more questions. Does Dishnetwork has the 500+ or 1000+ available for installation, or should/could I modify the Superdish in place of the 500/1000+ dishes? What is the cost to me?
Also, after all this is done, will Dishnetwork do a change over again?

Of course this leads to more questions. Does Dishnetwork has the 500+ or 1000+ available for installation

I honeslty don't know. If you're in Detroit, you might want to try the DishStore (link at top of page). They're a gold sponser (and Claude is a mod here) :)

Can you modify the SuperDish 121? I wouldn't attemt to modify it.

However, Dish is suppose to come out with a "Repoint Kit" that will convert the SuperDish 121 (and most likely the SuperDish 105) to a Dish 500+/1000+ by replacing one LNBF cluster with another LNBF cluster.

I wish I knew when this Repoint Kit was coming out, but I don't think Dish even knows.

Also, the Dish 500+ is identical to the Dish 1000+, except for an extra DP LNBF for 129 added to it on a bracket (DishStore may still be suppling the bracket with the Dish 500+ so you only need to get the DP LNBF).

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am a new member on the forum and am posting in this thread since I think my situation/question is quite close to the OP(HD + International) and wanted to avoid a redundant thread about the same topic. However, there are some differences in my case and thats what I am looking for help and/or suggestions.

Details(I will keep this as short as possible):
Yesterday, I placed an online order with Dish for a Bronze HD + AZ Local w/622 receiver as a new customer. Today, I called them to add South Asian Mega since I need it for my family. But the CSR at E* told me that I 'd have to pay them $100 me to get the "second" dish, which will enable me for the international channel subscription.
So, my question is, as a new customer, shouldn't everything(Dish/antenna/switches) be included in the initial sign up especially since I am opting got an 18 months contract. With E* current promos/deals, I thought all the cost(well besides the upgraded HD DVR receivers) was covered. Is my understanding incorrect? Can I do anything about the $100 charge?

If this post doesn't belong here and warrants a whole new thread then my apologies to the OP, dint mean to hijack this thread. Just let me know and I will port this in a new thread.

Regardless, this is a great informative forum for a newbie like me and I appreciate all the help and input(s). Thanks much.

Welcome :wave

your situation is a little different because to get HD you would have a Dish1000. Since you are adding an internationa pack that needs a separate dish, its the combination of the 2nd dish but more likely the DPP44 switch that is the reason why they are charging you $99. You need to see 4 satellites (110, 119, 129, 148).

The OP only needs to see 3 satellites (110, 119, 61.5) so a DP34 is all he needs besides the two dishes.

pkewl said:
Hi All,
I am a new member on the forum and am posting in this thread since I think my situation/question is quite close to the OP(HD + International) and wanted to avoid a redundant thread about the same topic. However, there are some differences in my case and thats what I am looking for help and/or suggestions.

Details(I will keep this as short as possible):
Yesterday, I placed an online order with Dish for a Bronze HD + AZ Local w/622 receiver as a new customer. Today, I called them to add South Asian Mega since I need it for my family. But the CSR at E* told me that I 'd have to pay them $100 me to get the "second" dish, which will enable me for the international channel subscription.
So, my question is, as a new customer, shouldn't everything(Dish/antenna/switches) be included in the initial sign up especially since I am opting got an 18 months contract. With E* current promos/deals, I thought all the cost(well besides the upgraded HD DVR receivers) was covered. Is my understanding incorrect? Can I do anything about the $100 charge?

If this post doesn't belong here and warrants a whole new thread then my apologies to the OP, dint mean to hijack this thread. Just let me know and I will port this in a new thread.

Regardless, this is a great informative forum for a newbie like me and I appreciate all the help and input(s). Thanks much.

Do not sign up for Intn's, just HD. They should install a Dish 1000. If 129 is weak and drops HDs, call and complain and have them install a 500 in addition to the 1000. They wont want to point the 500 at 61.5 but will point to 129. Have them mount the 500 on a lower location on your home so you can get at it and a location where 61.5 will be visible. After the installer leaves invest in a satellite meter and point the damn thing to 61.5 for HD and then add the Intn's. You just saved some bucks, but its a lot of hassle and they might not cooperate as you would wish.

If the installers wont do this for you and you are technical, buy a 500 dish, DP LNB, and satelite meter from Saudon and do it yourself. That will cost you some money and hard labor right there.

Actually if you look at it, $100 isn't much for the equipment and work performed. Its a fair deal if you are not a do-it yourselfer.

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
Welcome :wave

your situation is a little different because to get HD you would have a Dish1000. Since you are adding an internationa pack that needs a separate dish, its the combination of the 2nd dish but more likely the DPP44 switch that is the reason why they are charging you $99. You need to see 4 satellites (110, 119, 129, 148).

The OP only needs to see 3 satellites (110, 119, 61.5) so a DP34 is all he needs besides the two dishes.

The key is the 61.5 is the magic bird that gets you HD and I's. It saves you the $200 DPP44 switch if you already have a 1000 which has a DPP34, and then you just need to add the 500 with a DP LNB (you can move the 129 lnb to the 500 to save money) to the DPP34 which is integrated in the 110/119 LNB module.

edit <Unless you have the locals on 129 of course>.

Last edited:
good point. He could do 110/119/61.5

and being in AZ the elevation is pretty high (I'm use to MN where all elevations are low) :)

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Iceberg and foghorn2 for taking time to answer my Q and to help me out with this situation...

I am somewhat technical but not too much, atleast when it comes to satellite/dishes/switches... etc.. so to avoid so much of hassle.. I will probably just end up paying the extra fee for the International Install..

Actaully someone else(who I believe is also a member of this forums) suggested to me on the other forum that in order to save some money, what maybe better for me to do is that at first I just have E* install the Dish HD and then maybe wait for like a few days(like maybe 3 to 5) and then add International Mega Pack. Doing this way will bring the fee down to $60 (vs. paying $99 upfront), as an existing E* customer add-on. With all the hassle involved, I might just end up paying E* the extra $60, which will save me $40.... hey its one month's Dish's HD Silver pkg payment... lol :) The only gripe is that it may take E* some time to get to my 2nd install and what not.. but its okay... We can't ask for everything.. Beggers cant be choosers... :)

But Thanks again. I appreciate all your help and time and also thanks for the welcome note...

pkewl said:
I just wanted to say a big thanks to Iceberg and foghorn2 for taking time to answer my Q and to help me out with this situation...

I am somewhat technical but not too much, atleast when it comes to satellite/dishes/switches... etc.. so to avoid so much of hassle.. I will probably just end up paying the extra fee for the International Install..

Actaully someone else(who I believe is also a member of this forums) suggested to me on the other forum that in order to save some money, what maybe better for me to do is that at first I just have E* install the Dish HD and then maybe wait for like a few days(like maybe 3 to 5) and then add International Mega Pack. Doing this way will bring the fee down to $60 (vs. paying $99 upfront), as an existing E* customer add-on. With all the hassle involved, I might just end up paying E* the extra $60, which will save me $40.... hey its one month's Dish's HD Silver pkg payment... lol :) The only gripe is that it may take E* some time to get to my 2nd install and what not.. but its okay... We can't ask for everything.. Beggers cant be choosers... :)

But Thanks again. I appreciate all your help and time and also thanks for the welcome note...

Good idea because if you bought the second dish and put it up yourself, you would have paid around 60 bucks anyway. But be careful, they might want to point to 148w and charge you for the DPP44 which retails for $200. The key one again is if you dont have locals on 129, have them point the damn thing at 61.5!

pkewl

You mentioned AZ locals but not which ones. If its Phoenix, you REALLY luck out.

locals for Phoenix for SD are on 119
HD locals for Phoenix (the big 4 networks) are on 110

Even if its Tucson, you're still OK
SD locals are on 119
HD locals arent avaialble yet

so you can do what Foghorn mentions and only need 3 satellite slots (110,119,61.5)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)