Internet connection for HWS ?

I have a Netgear WNDR 3400, works well too!

does this unit have to stand up right.........or can it lay flat. I would like to install it in my desk instead of having it on top in the way

was reading........would it be a better choice to connect both of the HWS to the internet as separate units?

does this unit have to stand up right.........or can it lay flat. I would like to install it in my desk instead of having it on top in the way

was reading........would it be a better choice to connect both of the HWS to the internet as separate units?
I see no reason why you couldn't lay it flat. The stand is detachable. You have to attach it when you first take it out the box...

Ok.......here's another dumb ?....................how does a dual band router determine which band to transmit on?????? Do you tell it? Does the HWS function on either band?

The router sends it's signal on both bands. It is determined by what the end device is asking for and which band that device is connected to. The Hoppers will work on either band. You initiate that when you first set up. Just like with iPhone/iPads, you connect to a wireless signal, you'll see two, pick one of them, enter your password and there you go...

Both should be similar in open field / line of site applications, but 2.4 penetrates walls MUCH better than 5.

There can be a lot more noise in the 2.4 band (cordless phones, Bluetooth, wireless keyboards/mice, your neighbor's routers, etc, etc, and even some non-radio type devices like microwave ovens and electric motors are more likely to pollute the 2.4 band than the 5 band).

But don't let any of that scare you, 2.4 works just fine for most folks. Barring unusual interference issues, unless you get an internet connection better than 30mbps, or start doing lan to lan transfers you are not likely to have problems or notice any difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)