Introduction

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hello,
I have just joined and hope this is the right section to put my post and introduction. I live in Florida and haven't seen anybody selling Satellite dish's outside of DirecTV or the Dish Network. I used to live in Michigan and had a friend who was a dealer for the full size Satellite dish's. I remember how many stations you could recieve from them. Including seeing the local TV stations putting together their new segments that would appear later. Was interesting to see as I can remember.

Currently I have cable tv and have been thinking of getting a Satellite dish. I didn't know I could still get a full size dish!! I don't know anything in regards to C-Band , Ku-band, 4DTV, LNBs satellite systems. I have so many questions about what is (C-Band , Ku-band, ect.) what. Where I can get a Satellite dish here in Florida, or elsewhere? I have my home set up for Home Theater, so will a Dish be in the HD format? How many TV's can operate from a single dish? Will they be limited to just one channel for the whole house? Also I remember that the dish would change directions to locate another Satellite in space. Is this still the same? Can I view stations in other countries like Japan and England, ect.

I hope that I have addressed my questions in the right place. If not, viewing from what I just wrote maybe you can point me to the right place. Any C-Band, Ku-band dealers in North Central Florida?? Thanks! :)

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!!!!!!!

I moved your post to the General Sat forum, until you decide where to go. Just ask we can help.

I live in Florida and haven't seen anybody selling Satellite dish's outside of DirecTV or the Dish Network.

There's a link somewhere at the top of this forum for an installer locator. You can look for companies in your area and ask them about the various services.

I remember how many stations you could recieve from them. Including seeing the local TV stations putting together their new segments that would appear later. Was interesting to see as I can remember.

Ahhh, the old C-Band dish. I believe NPS is one of the providers of service for that type of system. You can ask them if they have any dealers in your area.

I have so many questions about what is (C-Band , Ku-band, ect.) what.

C-band, KU-band, etc are just references to what frequency the signals are downlinked at. The lower the frequency, the larger the dish.

I have my home set up for Home Theater, so will a Dish be in the HD format?

There are several HD satellite options available to you. DirecTV has the most right now, but DISH has more transponders and will eventually be able to top them. There is a unique service launching this year called XStreamHD that is kinda like NETFLIX but delivered to you through satellite and internet. It's full 1080P so it oughta knock your socks off.

How many TV's can operate from a single dish?

Theoretically, ALL of them! Just a matter of if you'll need more switches, etc.

Will they be limited to just one channel for the whole house?

Not at all! The small dishes like DISH NETWORK and DirecTV can support every TV in the home with different programming for each TV. The only ones that are really limited to one TV is the old large dishes that panned across the sky. Even then, one could connect a second receiver but they would only get the channels that are available from the particular satellite that the controlling receiver was tuned into. It was only the costs and limited programming that prevented most people from getting a second receiver with the big dishes. There are smaller dishes that still pan the sky and those would really only be useful for one or two receivers.

Also I remember that the dish would change directions to locate another Satellite in space. Is this still the same?

Most of the dishes you see these days are fixed and don't ever move at all. Many of them have several LNBs on them so they can pick up several satellites at once without having to move. There are still some moving ones out there but I believe they only number in the hundreds of thousands whereas the fixed ones have over tens of millions of customers.

Can I view stations in other countries like Japan and England, ect.

Dish Network and DirecTV both offer international programming. There is also FTA (Free-To-Air). FTA is great for picking up ethnic, religious, and foreign programming. We have a forum here for FTA where you can ask about trying to pick up content from certain countries. Just remember that you have to be within that particular satellite's footprint to pick up programming. So, if you are in the USA and a particular signal is beamed down to England, you won't be able to get that satellite. Also, for FTA, there are unscrupulous people who will talk about getting DirecTV and Dish Network via FTA equipment. This is not true FTA, it is a form of signal piracy. If you have to pay a subscription, then it isn't legal to receive. However, there is lots of truly free programming out there. It's as legal as if you were to put a VHF antenna on the roof to pick up stations off the mountain. In this case, the antenna is a dish.

Introduction & Getting started at this site!

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, it's good to find this site. I'm sure I will both enjoy and learn from this site.

I moved your post to the General Sat forum, until you decide where to go. Just ask we can help.

Thanks it was your call to put me here, and a good one too. I didn't know where to put my post. Where or what section should I pay special attention to in learning about the Satellite Dishs and the bands? Is there a section for Full Size Satellite Dishes and another for DirecTV & Dish Network? Thanks again.:)

There's a link somewhere at the top of this forum for an installer locator. You can look for companies in your area and ask them about the various services.

Thank you vegassatellite for taking the time out to answer my letter. I couldn't find a link for an installer locator. :confused:

Ahhh, the old C-Band dish. I believe NPS is one of the providers of service for that type of system. You can ask them if they have any dealers in your area.

So you remember those too, sometimes you were able to catch a "Blooper" or two. What is an "NPS"? I've heard of National Public Radio and TV, I'm sure it's not National Public Satellite!!!:D

C-band, KU-band, etc are just references to what frequency the signals are downlinked at. The lower the frequency, the larger the dish.

Thanks for address that for me. I think I still have learn more from that more.
There are several HD satellite options available to you. DirecTV has the most right now, but DISH has more transponders and will eventually be able to top them. There is a unique service launching this year called XStreamHD that is kinda like NETFLIX but delivered to you through satellite and internet. It's full 1080P so it oughta knock your socks off.

You say that their are several HD satellite options out there for me now. You speak of both DirecTV and Dish Network. Is there also HD Capabilities in the full size C-Band Dish?
Theoretically, ALL of them! Just a matter of if you'll need more switches, etc.

Good to know

Not at all! The small dishes like DISH NETWORK and DirecTV can support every TV in the home with different programming for each TV. The only ones that are really limited to one TV is the old large dishes that panned across the sky. Even then, one could connect a second receiver but they would only get the channels that are available from the particular satellite that the controlling receiver was tuned into. It was only the costs and limited programming that prevented most people from getting a second receiver with the big dishes. There are smaller dishes that still pan the sky and those would really only be useful for one or two receivers.

So what you're telling me is DirecTV and Dish can while the "old large dishes" can't. Also you speak of it's about getting a separate receiver for each TV?
Most of the dishes you see these days are fixed and don't ever move at all. Many of them have several LNBs on them so they can pick up several satellites at once without having to move. There are still some moving ones out there but I believe they only number in the hundreds of thousands whereas the fixed ones have over tens of millions of customers.

Thanks knew by looking at the DirecTV and the DISH that they were fixed. Doesn't DirecTV and the DISH use their own satellite to recieve from other satellites and then beam it down to the customers TV's? Do any of the "Newer Full Size" satellite dishes move or are they all "Fixed" now?

Dish Network and DirecTV both offer international programming. There is also FTA (Free-To-Air). FTA is great for picking up ethnic, religious, and foreign programming. We have a forum here for FTA where you can ask about trying to pick up content from certain countries. Just remember that you have to be within that particular satellite's footprint to pick up programming. So, if you are in the USA and a particular signal is beamed down to England, you won't be able to get that satellite. Also, for FTA, there are unscrupulous people who will talk about getting DirecTV and Dish Network via FTA equipment. This is not true FTA, it is a form of signal piracy. If you have to pay a subscription, then it isn't legal to receive. However, there is lots of truly free programming out there. It's as legal as if you were to put a VHF antenna on the roof to pick up stations off the mountain. In this case, the antenna is a dish.

Lot's to learn from here and have it all sink in!! Thanks again.:D

Hello,
I looked into my area for a Satellite Dealer in the Yellow Pages and searching the Internet and came up with nothing. I still have not found a link Satellite Installers on this site. Would like to know of a dealer near me.

I do have a question that maybe someone can inform me with an answer. In getting a 10' Dish, what is the difference and benifit between a solid dish and a wire mesh sectional dish? How far can you put a satellite dish with tripod away from the home and still have a clear signal?

Thanks,
Thomas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)