This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

iPhone 3G to 3GS Upgrade?

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Just wondering who upgraded from the 3G to the 3GS and what their thoughts are on the upgrade.

I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm thinking of getting the wife an iPhone. She found a refurb 3G for $50 at at&t. I'm wondering if it's worth it to even consider a $150 extra dollars for a 3GS?

If I hear good news, I might have a 8gb one I would be willing to sell you. This way you would not be in a contract on the phone.

I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm thinking of getting the wife an iPhone. She found a refurb 3G for $50 at at&t. I'm wondering if it's worth it to even consider a $150 extra dollars for a 3GS?

I've been looking into the same question for my wife, and what I've come up with is this: if I (I mean she, of course ) already had a 3G, I probably wouldn't upgrade, but when we get hers, it's going to be a 3GS.

If you go into a store, you can tell a pretty big difference in the performance of the two, and of course you get the extra storage, battery life and a few other features as well... so it's worth the $100 for me (not looking at refurb, and of course that's not an option for the S yet).

If you really use your 3G a lot and you're eligible for an upgrade, it's definitely worth looking into, but I don't think it would be worth it for the average person...

I'm thinking about upgrading my wife from her Razr to an iPhone. I currently have the original iPhone and she really likes it but we aren't eligible for upgrade until mid October.

Mario

I did. I especially like the added speed of apps in the 3G S and the video recording. For my uses, it was worththe $299 upgrade I paid..

For me I held off, it would have cost me $500 to upgrade. (If I wait until October I get it for $299)

I can do everything now on my 3G including video recording, so the only upgrade for me would have been having the compass feature. And its not worth it for $500 for a compass.

I have sat in the AT&T store and the iPhone store and after turning off the wifi that they had enabled in both locations, I ran speedtests side by side on each unit. The 3G was slightly faster in the internet then the new faster 3GS.

I was told by Clerks at both stores that AT&T has not turned on the new faster network upgrade in our area that the 3GS ca use and get faster internet speeds.

I will hold off to October, but then again might just wait for the iPhone 4 next year.

One correction from me as I wasn't very clear. The speed increase was on applications. Applications run faster (in some cases *much* faster), they start faster, they install faster, etc. I am seeing the same Wifi speed and 3g speed as on the 3G phone.

If I hear good news, I might have a 8gb one I would be willing to sell you. This way you would not be in a contract on the phone.

Nevermind that. My wife just called and said she went ahead and purchased the 16GB 3G refurb from at&t for $99.

I can do everything now on my 3G including video recording, so the only upgrade for me would have been having the compass feature. And its not worth it for $500 for a compass.

Sorry if this is a naive question (wife's new to the iPhone and I have a BB). How'd you get video camera and voice control on the 3G?

Sorry if this is a naive question (wife's new to the iPhone and I have a BB). How'd you get video camera and voice control on the 3G?
For voice command there are a number of programs for FREE from the app store that will give you voice dial.

For video you need to jailbreak and install a program called Cycorder. It works great.

Hell I would be happy with 3g! Where I live we dont even get that! Att is the only one who doent provide some sort of HSI via Cellular

Hell I would be happy with 3g! Where I live we dont even get that! Att is the only one who doent provide some sort of HSI via Cellular

Well being in an edge zone, I must say it is not bad. One thing I notice is that I only have to charge my iphone 2-3 times a week in edge. When I go to 3g I have to charge every day, and then it is sometimes iffy to make it the whole day. It is amazing the difference in battery life between the two networks.

I don't see any difference in battery life versus 3g or 2g in the CDMA world. Never knew there was that much of a diff in the GSM world. Guess thats why they made an app for some WinMo phones to switch to 2g automatically when data is not being used. Sounds like the Iphone needs one.

"Sorta" voice dial. You still need to press a button.

If there is any app that will let me press my earpiece button and speak the name I wish to call, on my 3G, and without touching the iPhone itself, I'd love to know about it.

Well I just got back from the Apple store to test the new 3GS. All I can say is boy does it load the apps really fast. I really like the phone and how quick it was at responding. I also tested a few web pages and it did load a little faster on them but not that much faster. The apps were at least twice as fast at loading.

Still undecided on what I am doing but I did notice people selling their used 3G phones on ebay for around $300 so I might bite the bullet just to get more storage space.

Still undecided on what I am doing but I did notice people selling their used 3G phones on ebay for around $300 so I might bite the bullet just to get more storage space.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why in the world would someone pay $300 for something they can get for $50 at any AT&T store (they sell refurb)? You still have to pay for the service for it to work....

By the way, we got my wife's last night (16GB 3GS) and it's great. She's already down to about 7GB of free space after loading all of the music and stuff she wanted, so it was definitely the right choice.

And of course, I had to "set it up" for her last night, so I didn't get a whole lot of sleep. I'm excited for her, though - it's probably the first time she's ever had the coolest gadget in the house, and she even said last night that she was excited because she'd never bought a really cool gadget for herself before.

I'm in the same boat with my wife. She's super excited and will now have the coolest phone in the house. (I have the BB Curve).

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Anyone ever have any experience with transferring a phone number from T-Mobile to the iPhone? From what I understand, it's not just a simple SIM switch.

Funny, I have the Curve, too... but after seeing the iPhone in person, I kind of wish my company would take it away from me

Not sure about T-Mobile to AT&T, but we transferred her number from VzW with no problems, and before that we transferred it to VzW from T-Mobile. There were a few hiccups on that one, but I don't know if it was because of T-Mobile or Verizon - either way, it was done in less than an hour.

I actually did the pre-qualification at apple.com and entered all of the information there for her old number as well as the credit check, and we were in and out of the apple store in less than 5 minutes (even though they were really busy) with her new phone, and she got a text message before we got home that her number had been successfully transferred.

You just have to give them the existing number, account number, etc. from the T-Mobile account - it's pretty easy.