iphone5 How to edit a number in a phone call

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
The keypad that you bring up during a call to enter a number has no back key.

here's the scenario:

I call a company that requests I enter my account number. I can bring up a keypad to enter the number but it only has 10 digit plus * and # and no back key. If I enter a number wrong and wish to change it, how do I do that?

We should be able to enter the number in a queue and then send it same as we do when making an initial call.

Temp solution is to let the number fail and then try again. Is there an app dialer for iphone5 that works like the Android phone?

Last edited:
I have a back key on my iPhone 5

image-1536300911.png

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I see what you are saying. When you are currently on a call and bring up the key pad that entire bottom row of keys is missing.

I check the old 3GS and the same thing. I had an iPhone for years and never noticed that before.

Last edited:
Pffft, Jobs would just say it's not needed - put the number in right the first time ! :eek:
Actually, it may not be needed. The reason is you cannot go back and erase the number anyway as the numbers are submitted right when you enter them.

When you use a keypad to dial a phone number the numbers you enter do not go through until you hit the call button, so it is possible to erase a number you mistakenly entered. Once you are already connected to the other line anything you enter is immediately submitted, so it will be impossible to erase a number you mistakenly entered anyway.

LOL! Kinda what I told my wife. Told her its your first time owning a smart phone, Smart people don't make mistakes like that. They don't need erasers on their pencils.
But it's true that the keypad, if you listen carefully sends out a tone for each number pressed. I tried the same thing on my Thunderbolt and it stores the string and sends all at once after a pause. I have a back key too. I think the Thunderbolt is smarter! :D I think her old LG env3 worked the same as my Thunderbolt.

Anyway, she is satisfied that if she hits the # key the response will inform her that the account number entered is incorrect, please enter again.

We should be able to enter the number in a queue and then send it same as we do when making an initial call.
As SkiKing points out, the systems on the other end just don't work that way. Then again, what's the difference in 'number-input-slight pause-number-input-slight pause' and so on vs the 10 digits being input very, very quickly ?

LOL! Kinda what I told my wife. Told her its your first time owning a smart phone, Smart people don't make mistakes like that. They don't need erasers on their pencils.
But it's true that the keypad, if you listen carefully sends out a tone for each number pressed. I tried the same thing on my Thunderbolt and it stores the string and sends all at once after a pause. I have a back key too. I think the Thunderbolt is smarter! :D I think her old LG env3 worked the same as my Thunderbolt.

Anyway, she is satisfied that if she hits the # key the response will inform her that the account number entered is incorrect, please enter again.

On my HTC One X, I can also just backspace when not in a call. Once the call has started I lose the ability to edit the numbers that have been entered.

The company you are talking to should have a way to start over. It is the company you are calling's interface that is the issue not the phone.

The company you are talking to should have a way to start over. It is the company you are calling's interface that is the issue not the phone.

Read what I posted. Already said that is how it works.

But I tested with my T-Bolt and was able to enter an account number with error and correct it but the correction needed to be done with little pause, about less than 3 seconds. If I wanted to enter the following 123456789 but entered 123 pause for 3 seconds it would sent 123, Then I type 455 back space 6 it would send 456 but if I waited too long then it would send 455. Nice feature, IMO.
I would say the Thunderbolt is just a bit smarter than the iphone :) Of course I recognize that many iphone owners refuse to accept that anything else would be better than an iphone ( i have some relatives like that) or if what I feel is a better feature is deemed as unnecessary by an iphone zealot.

If there is a debate on this it reminds me of my class on Final Cut Pro at Apple. A limitation in FCP was said by the "genius" at Apple as unnecessary and that I needed to educate my clients their request was unreasonable and stupid which brought laughter by the class. At that point I politely excused myself from the class and switched to a competitive product which satisfied my customer's demands they were willing to pay for. Funny- Apple has now announced they will cease Final Cut Pro in 2013 and concentrate on the consumer product- iMovie for the iphone and ipad.

Either way, I'm sure this will not be the last weird issue we will discover with the iphone5. It is a great product and overall we are pleased and expect it to be what we had hoped for. The BT hotspot works great with my wife's ipad1 and she is pleased with the camera too. Unlike my daughter's ATT iphone my wife has not had trouble with lost connections on Verizon.

The keypad that buffers 'till you pause, sounds quite inventive.
But maybe it's patented, and Apple didn't want to admit they weren't the ones who thought of it! ;)

Yeah, I always took it for granted but discovered it when I switched from my old windows mobile phone to the T-Bolt as just one of those many improvements.

My wife is a bit overwhelmed with it so far but the key entry was the only negative. She now accepts the idea of just letting a mistake fail and entering a second time as the best solution. Frankly, its not a big deal but originally I thought I was not seeing something being new to iphone too.

When I get back from CES, I plan to get with a relative who is an Apple cert. engineer and have him review our Apple infrastructure, accounts etc. as I'm sure I am not doing it the best most efficient way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)