IPTV set top: blocking channels / programs

kevinbct

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
New England
On the new SA set top boxes from NeuLion......

Can certain channels be blocked?

How about individual programs?

One thing I don't like about Direc TV, is that only channels can be blocked. With my cable provider (Comcast), granted TBN is the only Christian station along with Gospel Music Channel....

But I could block John Hagee, Hot Rod Parsley, Creflo Dollar, etc..... individually.

Can I do this with the new SA boxes?

Thanks
Kevin

I don't watch any of those preachers, but why exactly are you trying to block them?

I don't watch any of those preachers, but why exactly are you trying to block them?

Because my daughter is very new to the faith....plus we always have non-Christians guests over, i don't want to see these men as representative of what the Christian faith is. Even if they're flipping through the channels.....

I mentioned this in the first post....but I have no issues with Gospel Music Channel..... they use selected, family friendly commercials to fund their ministry. I have no problem with this. I have no problem with ministries asking for money, but its the WAY that certain preachers do it and the FALSE PROMISES they make that irritate me to no end. Instead of gathering the sheep, and teaching the sheep.....they are fleecing the sheep....

Sorry, im off topic....

Anyway, I just wish there was a way to block individual programs. that is a big sticking point for me. I have no paid TV now, but I think I'll be going with basic cable (no expanded) and my cable co's classic package which includes Gospel Music Ch. and TBN.....for about 30 bucks a month.

For us we have rules in our home and we expect people to abide by them. I wouldn't try to block programs, but would take the oportunity to teach my daughter what to watch and what not to watch. So far she understands that some people are good to watch and some are not, and as she grows up, I want to keep her pointed in the right direction. To me TV preachers don't fall under the "block" catagory, but we certainly don't watch and don't allow DD to watch any that are obviously preaching a false gospel, wrong doctrines or are fakes.

We have DirecTV, but when we only had SA, there were kids shows that taught false doctrines. We would change the channel and explain to DD why they were wrong. So far it has worked.

Now that we only have DirecTV, we do have only certain channels on our favorites, so when flipping through the channels only ones we pick will show up.

How old is your daughter?

I too would like to know how to block a channel. Each subscriber has the freedom to do as they please with their purchase.

It now dawns on me that I'd like to block those ungodly barker channels. :p

I can think of one way to generally block whole channels just by using a favorites list. Not a 100% solution, but at least less tempting. Out of sight, out of mind.

For us we have rules in our home and we expect people to abide by them. I wouldn't try to block programs, but would take the oportunity to teach my daughter what to watch and what not to watch. So far she understands that some people are good to watch and some are not, and as she grows up, I want to keep her pointed in the right direction. To me TV preachers don't fall under the "block" catagory, but we certainly don't watch and don't allow DD to watch any that are obviously preaching a false gospel, wrong doctrines or are fakes.

We have DirecTV, but when we only had SA, there were kids shows that taught false doctrines. We would change the channel and explain to DD why they were wrong. So far it has worked.

Now that we only have DirecTV, we do have only certain channels on our favorites, so when flipping through the channels only ones we pick will show up.

How old is your daughter?

Jason,

my daughter is 18, and English is her 2nd language. she's very gullible.

I'd love to share more with you about our unique family dynamic, but could you PM me please?

Kevin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)