Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I seen on TechTv (The Screen Savers) tonight that the future may bring forth television through the internet and each television may have its on IP address. This would further merge the internet and television together. They said in about 5-7 years it could very well be possible that we may not have much live television anymore (other than news, weather, etc. of course). A lot of it will be based upon VOD (video on demand) where you watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it. This may also just be an additional service in addition to what we have now instead of replacing it completely.

IPTV may be the wave of the future for television as we know it. This would further merge the internet and television together allowing content to become available from the internet. In the next 5-7 years most of the television we watch may be in the way of VOD (Video On Demand) where you watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it. This could either replace television as we know it or be something available in addition to what we have now. I seen this on The Screen Savers on G4TechTv on Tuesday. Each television/receiver would be assigned its own IP address. I have heard about other companies coming out with movies on demand at this time but the way they were talking about this it seemed different, perhaps something that would be offered like a different channel or a reserved part of the internet just for this.

Sorry about that I had an issue on here and thought the new thread didnt display.

Am I correct in assuming that it would be a dedicated network using the same principals as the internet? If they keep it as a different network than the internet that is not accessed over the internet that would prevent hackers from the internet from accessing the content. It would be like a new internet in a sense and they could their own interactive content. This would also be neat for those that like to play games to have access to any game that you want to play on your video game systems that could be hooked up with adapters/boxes to convert it to the video game machine.

Stargazer said:
Am I correct in assuming that it would be a dedicated network using the same principals as the internet? If they keep it as a different network than the internet that is not accessed over the internet that would prevent hackers from the internet from accessing the content. It would be like a new internet in a sense and they could their own interactive content. This would also be neat for those that like to play games to have access to any game that you want to play on your video game systems that could be hooked up with adapters/boxes to convert it to the video game machine.

Think of IPTV as digital cable with web browsing and builtin games. But its different in that one IPTV complaint box can work on any system that supports IPTV whether it be satellite, digital cable, power company and/or phone company. Also think of IPTV as being the samething as broadband over powerline. Its just another standard for sending signals. But again I have to stress that IPTV will be a hardwired backbone like cable is today and it could utilize the internet but it doesn't need it or rely on the internet.

They could use satellite to send a file to the hard drive just as you would receive files with broadband internet. What would help cut bandwidth is if some of the same files was being sent to all receivers at the same time. They could even download games to the receivers/gaming consoles as they would movies for people to play (VOD).

Status
Not open for further replies.