IR inputs - How do they do it?

DougClarke

Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Vashon, WA
I understand from all the literature that the 921 is UHF only. However, I can control it with IR inputs from my Harmony 659 universal remote!! Yet, I cannot use the 921 to train the Harmony, nor do the 921 remote signals show as IR signals with my IR extender and I was unable to find any spot on the 921 where the extenders would work. Can anyone enlighten me as to how this works?

All Dish Network receivers (except for some model 4000 and 5000 receivers) will respond to IR remote commands. The UHF Pro remotes (like the 921) only transmit UHF. This can present a challenge for universal remotes that require you to learn the IR codes from the original remote.

Fortunately all Dish Network receivers (except for the DishPlayer 7100/7200) use the same codes. If you have another (non UHF Pro) Dish Network remote you can use that to program the universal remote. Just make sure the remote is set for the correct address.

The 322 is missing a lot of the 921 buttons. My 501 remote works just great though - all it's missing is the PiP, Swap, Position, and "R" buttons. Ignore the labels on the 501 - the button's position on the panel is what's important. For example, 921's SD/HD button is the 501's TV/Video button.

The 721 remote has all of the buttons of the 921 remote. Plus, the next software version for the 921 should add the "Teach IR" feature, which you can use to program learning IR remotes directly from the 921, just as you can now with the 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)