Is 77 FSS/ how can 72 / 77/ 82 be so close together?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I always thought that 77 was FSS for the Eastern arc US dishes and DBS for Dish Mexico, but I noticed that those 2 satellites do not use the same transponder numbers, which leads me to believe that Eastern Arc 77 is not fss.

Also, I was once told that DBS satellites had to be 9 degrees apart... but I can get 72 and 77 (Dish Mexico) very well. I do not sub to Dish Mexico, I just locked on it one day. I csn also get Bell 82 with an Ok signal. Does this mean that DBS satellites can really function with just 5 degrees difference ?

I always thought that 77 was FSS for the Eastern arc US dishes and DBS for Dish Mexico, but I noticed that those 2 satellites do not use the same transponder numbers, which leads me to believe that Eastern Arc 77 is not fss.

Also, I was once told that DBS satellites had to be 9 degrees apart... but I can get 72 and 77 (Dish Mexico) very well. I do not sub to Dish Mexico, I just locked on it one day. I csn also get Bell 82 with an Ok signal. Does this mean that DBS satellites can really function with just 5 degrees difference ?
It's DBS and spacing on that band has always been 5° spacing.

You could move them even closer if you used bigger dishes. (Don't know about the regulatory ramifications of that idea.)

Way back, when the 12.2-12.7 BSS satellites were first planned, the international body specified a 9 degree spacing to avoid interference between adjacent satellites using the same frequency (transponder).

As they learned how the satellites actually preformed, spacing was reduced to 4.5 degrees, provided that the half space satellite does not interfere with the grandfathered 9 degree spaced satellites (it's first licensed, first served when talking about interference).

Mexico's 77W slot is a good example of the half spacing. Transmissions from that slot can not interfere with the two adjacent 9 degree spaced, Canadian slots. But this was not a problem for Mexico since their beam was planned to not interfere with Canadian beams.

Then Echostar leased the rights to the 77 slot, in part to supply service to the southern United States. When you look at the 77W, Quetzsat 1 beam map, you will see that the effective US service area stops some distance south of the Canadian border. They did this to avoid interference with the adjacent 9 degree, 82W Canadian slot that has priority for interference avoidance.

A 77W interference problem could exist with the Echostar/Dish leased 72.5W Canadian slot since both serve the US. But, in that case, Echostar/Dish can self coordinate to avoid interference between the two satellites since they control operation of both of those satellites and received an FCC license addressing that concern.

I wonder why 114.5 and 123.5 was never released between 110/119 and 119/129 if 4.5 degree spacing was introduced for EA? I had a satellite pointed at 77 to get locals when they were located there. I had pixelation issues on that satellite. Had to put up a larger dish at 77 because the 18 inch dish was too small due to a neighboring satellite causing interference on the same frequency.

When I moved to where I live. I first set up as EA using 3 18" dishes. Had no problem w/that set up. I had the single feed adapters to fully illuminated the dish. So I wonder if OP could possibly be using the 2 location LNBF set up?

Looks to me like DISH Won't be using 77 sat for anything but DISH Mexico at the rate that they are moving off the locals off of conus and to the 615. sat. This may be why they are moving to a simple double lnb for eastern arc instead of bothering with the 1000.4 triple lnbs that are discontinued.

I wonder why 114.5 and 123.5 was never released between 110/119 and 119/129 if 4.5 degree spacing was introduced for EA? I had a satellite pointed at 77 to get locals when they were located there. I had pixelation issues on that satellite. Had to put up a larger dish at 77 because the 18 inch dish was too small due to a neighboring satellite causing interference on the same frequency.

I thought Spectrum 5 had one of those licenses betweeb 110 & 119. Further, I believe the FCC designated the "tweener" 110/119 to operate the uplink frequency as the downlink, and the downlink as the uplink frequencies, resulting in less interference.

Last edited:
The Dish Latino channels are still on 77 so how could they phase out the 3 sat Eastern Arc dish? As far as the future of Dish Mexico, they could use 91as long as the signal doesn't go that far into the USA; 91 doesn't go very far outside of Canada.
I thought Spectrum 5 had one of those licenses betweeb 110 & 119. Further, I believe the FCC designated the "tweener" 110/119 to operate the uplink frequency as the downlink, and the downlink as the uplink frequencies, resulting in less interference.

The Dish Latino channels are still on 77 so how could they phase out the 3 sat Eastern Arc dish? As far as the future of Dish Mexico, they could use 91as long as the signal doesn't go that far into the USA; 91 doesn't go very far outside of Canada.

We just did a Dish Latino install this morning and the work order called for 61.5/72/110 so it looks like no more Latino channels on 77.

So with no DISH latino on 77 ,then there will be NO use for current DISH customers in the U.S. at all now. I always thought it would of made more sense to use the 77 sat for international channels and then there would been no need for a separate dish like 118 for eastern arc subs. A simple 1000.4 sat dish with triple lnb would be all you need to get all your channels on eastern arc. I'll never understand why DISH makes some of the decisions they do about their lnbs and dishes. So many versions and so many configurations instead of one simple design that could be used on either arc. At one time they were going to use the 1000.4 sat dish and just add the correct lnb for eastern arc or western arc. But instead they will use just 1000.2 sat dish with either triple lnb for western arc or the triple lnb for 118/119 /110/129 if you want internationals and a dual lnb for eastern arc and you add the side sat for 118 if you want internationals on eastern arc. I guess it works out the same way it is just confusing how many times they change their minds and I can only imagine how confusing it would be for the installers.

So with no DISH latino on 77 ,then there will be NO use for current DISH customers in the U.S. at all now. I always thought it would of made more sense to use the 77 sat for international channels and then there would been no need for a separate dish like 118 for eastern arc subs. A simple 1000.4 sat dish with triple lnb would be all you need to get all your channels on eastern arc. I'll never understand why DISH makes some of the decisions they do about their lnbs and dishes. So many versions and so many configurations instead of one simple design that could be used on either arc. At one time they were going to use the 1000.4 sat dish and just add the correct lnb for eastern arc or western arc. But instead they will use just 1000.2 sat dish with either triple lnb for western arc or the triple lnb for 118/119 /110/129 if you want internationals and a dual lnb for eastern arc and you add the side sat for 118 if you want internationals on eastern arc. I guess it works out the same way it is just confusing how many times they change their minds and I can only imagine how confusing it would be for the installers.

You are absolutely correct. Even though there is an alighment of the dishes based on the ARCS, the 1000.4 with the tripple LNB actually makes the eastern arc dish work very well on the west coast.

At CES I had a detailed discussion asking the reasons why dish does not do an eastern arc install on the west coast for customers that cannot point to the 129 satellite. Myself and a friend of mine are located in a position where we can get 110/119/118 but not 129. The installer came home and said no HD dish for me and he could cancel my contract.

I installed the eastern arc myself and its been working perfectly fine since the install. 61.5 also has the spots for Los Angeles. At one point they did have LA Locals for Rv'rs on 72.7 as distants.

Phasing out a perfectly working dish would essentially cut out people who could probably get programming in the west coast. Bad decision.

I do agree that the best direction would be to mirror the 118 internationals to 77 so we could get by with just one dish installation which is totally possible.

I've sent dish multiple such requests to the executive office.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)