Is 922 worth the investment?

jadiff

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
My 2 years is up with D* and I am considering returning to E*. I'm looking for opinions and reasons why the 922 investment and additional fee may or may not be worth it.

The Sling portion is cool enough, but I'm not really certain I would get any use out of it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My 2 years is up with D* and I am considering returning to E*. I'm looking for opinions and reasons why the 922 investment and additional fee may or may not be worth it.

The Sling portion is cool enough, but I'm not really certain I would get any use out of it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

If your not into sling, it may not be worth the investmest (its a extra four dollars a month for the DVR fee) the 722K is a great reciever if you are looking to move to Dish, though that being said the guide and interface for the reciver look sharp as a new customer I am not sure what kind of promo they are doing for that reciever. Right now current subs are being quoted $200 or $400 (I think depending if you still on contract with them)

Depends on how much money you make. Also, if your job security is very high.
In a recession, it's a bad idea to raise your monthly bills.

ViP922 is a down grade (a couple of features) from the ViP622.

Wait for the next DVR they issue :p

Last edited:
Would you ever want to watch TV away from home on a computer or laptop? Then yes...if you would do it frequently enough.
If not...No. This is why I have no interest.

This is completely a personal preference. I think it is a great receiver even if you don't use the sling feature. Calling it a downgrade from the 622 is an extreme exageration. I have the 922 and a 622 and the 922 is better in a lot of ways. I don't want to say anything bad about the 622 though, pretty flawless receiver also.

If you don't need the latest and greatest technology then I would just stick with the 722k.

Thanks for the comments so far. I would imagine I would get a 722 if I did not opt for a 922 though, is that correct? I have 3 HD & 1 SD and I would like all of the to be DVR.

Do you want to hook all four TVs to the dual tuner? If you want your 3 TVs to have HD you may want to get 3 HD receivers. You'll need to decide how many TV's you want to watch independantly. Having multiple receivers on your account can get costly.

Keep the 722k and add the tv everywhere adapter + hd media extender to it, when they come available. Then you get cutting edge sling all wrapped into one great dvr receiver.

The thing to also keep in mind is that the 922 will have additional features rolled out over time. Stuff they disabled because it wasn't working right and they needed to get the product shipped. The future widgets and internet stuff might be worth the additional monthly cost. (If Dish is no longer planning on doing this, someone please correct me.)

If you get a 722K now and then decide you want to get the 922 during that first year, you'd almost certainly get dinged with the $400 price (if they let you lease at all).

I'm personally holding off until Dish releases the adapter that will allow sling to be turned into TV2 in HD.

Do you want to hook all four TVs to the dual tuner? If you want your 3 TVs to have HD you may want to get 3 HD receivers. You'll need to decide how many TV's you want to watch independantly. Having multiple receivers on your account can get costly.

That was my set-up last time, I had 2 STB.....but I only had 2 HDTV's too. Now I have another HDTV (3 total), so I assume that means 3 STB's, 2 Singles and 1 Dual.

That was my set-up last time, I had 2 STB.....but I only had 2 HDTV's too. Now I have another HDTV (3 total), so I assume that means 3 STB's, 2 Singles and 1 Dual.

It seems like you could go with a 722K and 2 612 receivers. But, hypothetically, you could go with a 922, 722K and a 612 and then once Dish releases the sling adapter (don't know the official name of the thing), you could use the 922 to feed two HD TVs and drop the 612 to save some money.

BUT: this plan is dependent on Dish releasing the adapter in a timely fashion and it not being ridiculously overpriced.

The thing to also keep in mind is that the 922 will have additional features rolled out over time. Stuff they disabled because it wasn't working right and they needed to get the product shipped. The future widgets and internet stuff might be worth the additional monthly cost. (If Dish is no longer planning on doing this, someone please correct me.)

If you get a 722K now and then decide you want to get the 922 during that first year, you'd almost certainly get dinged with the $400 price (if they let you lease at all).

These are the reasons I am having a hard time declining the 922. As silly as it sounds the new gui alone is pretty exciting. I don't want to get tied into "current but older technology" (the 722) when there is clearly something more technologically advanced. However, some are saying that the 922 is just a 722 with Slingbox installed.

These are the reasons I am having a hard time declining the 922. As silly as it sounds the new gui alone is pretty exciting. I don't want to get tied into "current but older technology" (the 722) when there is clearly something more technologically advanced. However, some are saying that the 922 is just a 722 with Slingbox installed.

I'd say it's more than that. The biggest thing stopping me from getting one is that TV2 is currently disabled on it. If the box output TV2 in SD like the current 722/622s then I'd say there's no reason (other than $4/month) not to get one instead of a 722. It currently being only a solo receiver makes the decision more difficult IMHO.

Perhaps a ViP722K with slingbox (& GUI, etc). The ViP722 & ViP722K are different creatures.

I might one day get a ViP922. But not until it's had a few updates to it's features.

Regarding the remote viewing: You'll need to have a broadband connection at that remote place. Of course, I understand that you can watch on an iPhone with a 3G connection. If you'd want to watch on that small a screen. Maybe on a laptop with a 3G dongle? I just doubt that 3G would support video very well, especially HD.

Perhaps a ViP722K with slingbox (& GUI, etc). The ViP722 & ViP722K are different creatures.

I might one day get a ViP922. But not until it's had a few updates to it's features.

Regarding the remote viewing: You'll need to have a broadband connection at that remote place. Of course, I understand that you can watch on an iPhone with a 3G connection. If you'd want to watch on that small a screen. Maybe on a laptop with a 3G dongle? I just doubt that 3G would support video very well, especially HD.

Are you talking about buying a standalone SlingBox on my own to pair with a 722? Is the new GUI based on a Slingbox GUI? Pardon my question, I have zero experience with a Slingbox, I'm not sure how it works at all.

I agree with waiting if I were a current customer. But I am looking at moving back to E* and don't want to make the wrong choice by taking the current model to save a few dollars and having to wait and re-evaluate in 2 years (kicking myself all the while).

Again though, I'm not really looking at the 922 for the Slingbox. I don't really see myself getting much use out of it (of course I probably said the same to DVR's). I just want to get the most current, but cost effective technology.

You can get the slingbox functionality of the ViP922 by simply using a slingbox with a ViP722K or ViP722 or really any ViP.

The TV2 output on the ViP922 does not work right now, might not ever work. Might just be that the Sling function is considered a replacement. Could be that even Dish doesn't know. Or maybe there's a "ViP922K" in the future, adding this feature. Of course, TV2 output might be of no interest to you.

It is doubtful, but possible, that Dish will ever put the ViP922 GUI on the ViP722K.

And we might see an internet browser and other features come to the ViP922 that the ViP722K will never get. The other ViP series boxes almost certainly will never see these.

The new ViP922 GUI is it's own creation, independent of Sling.

Is the ViP922 the most cost effective technology? No, and probably never will be. I suspect they want this to be their Cadillac while they also sell Buicks and Fords. And one day, they may add a Lexus.

FWIW, if I were coming to Dish today, and was willing to put up with the teething pains of a new product, I'd go with the ViP922. But that would be only if I thought I'd use the remote viewing and it worked well.

Maybe in 2-3 months many of the problems, such as EHD support, will be worked out.

I plan on getting that HD monitor when Dish releases it. It will solve my problem of no TV in the upstairs bedroom.
IMHO it's rather dinky for a bedroom HDTV. Depends on your viewing distance I suppose. Will you put it on a nightstand next to your bed? :eek:

It actually works fairly well on a 3G Verizon card (I'm often working remotely on Sunday mornings and this is the only way to catch NFL games). A stable wifi connection (from a hotel you happen to be staying at) tends to be preferable. But I wouldn't knock the quality on a 3G card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)