Is a new 2 year agreement needed to replace a leased reciever with an owned one?

Brodieb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Maryville, MO
I would like to replace my Joey with a Super Joey but do not want a new 2 year contract. If I buy one from Dish Depot or elsewhere online and have Dish swap them out I would not need one right? They are only $135 on DD right now (http://www.dishdepot.com/dish_receivers.jsp) which is not bad at all.

Also, I have the protection plan so would a tech visit to swap them out still be $15?

Not ready to pull the trigger just yet but the three tuner limit on the Hopper/Joey system is becoming an issue for my house. I know the Super Joey is $3 more per month either way but I an thinking it would be worth it to stop the family grumbling about all my timers.

No upgrade would be needed.

I am not certain equipment bought by you would be installed under the protection plan.

I am not certain adding a Super Joey from DISH would trigger a new two year contract. Very important you contact DIRT here to get the best solution.

Super Joey certainly helps reduce the Timer problem. Would a 2ND HOPPER be worth it instead? (Sounds like several programs are watched, it would give you a back-up should one Hopper fail. SJ can not operate on it's own)

Last edited:
No, switching with an owned receiver does not change/add to an agreement. I don't think you would need a tech to switch them either, put them side by side and move wiring from one to the other. Call Dish with the changeout.

There are some wiring changes and some equipment changes at the node.....

You need a third wire from the dish to an integrator then to the Super Joey. It's not an easy swap out at all.

If you want Dish to upgrade the equipment you will have to sign a 24 month commitment again and you will have to lease it. If you purchase it you will have to install it yourself or pay someone else to but there is no contract.

My purchased equipment has been covered by the protection plan when it failed but I did install it myself.

They will cover the replacement of it under the protection plan but you will not get purchased equipment installed under the protection plan.

If you want Dish to upgrade the equipment you will have to sign a 24 month commitment again and you will have to lease it. If you purchase it you will have to install it yourself or pay someone else to but there is no contract.

That is exactly what I was looking for - thanks Scherrman. If that is the case I will stick with what I have or just lease one in the future. I am tech savvy but not to the level to feel comfortable installing nodes and whatnot.

If you are willing to buy a SJ what makes you think you would be leaving in less than 24 months? I know there are other reasons not to want a 24 commit, but in your case it might make sense and cost less.

That is exactly what I was looking for - thanks Scherrman. If that is the case I will stick with what I have or just lease one in the future. I am tech savvy but not to the level to feel comfortable installing nodes and whatnot.

Installing a Super Joey is probably the most complicated setup at the moment. The rest of Dish's equipment really isn't that bad. If you consider yourself tech savvy I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it yourself especially with the help from everyone on here.

They will cover the replacement of it under the protection plan but you will not get purchased equipment installed under the protection plan.

Would Dish install purchased equipment for the full tech visit fee ($95 or whatever it is) or they just refuse to install purchased equipment under any circumstances?

Would Dish install purchased equipment for the full tech visit fee ($95 or whatever it is) or they just refuse to install purchased equipment under any circumstances?

I'm not sure, I don't see why they wouldn't. I know that if you called a local retailer they would probably do it but I can guarantee it will be for $95. They may charge their own hourly rate.

The issue to a new 2 year commitment is one taking the Super Joey at a no or low cost swap from Dish and Dish coming out and doing the INSTALL all at a discounted single "Upgrade Price," just like any other upgrade. Yes, if one does not want to recommit, then one has to pay for it: buy at full retail the Super Joey and PAY the full price for a local retailer to install it OR you can pay full retail for SuperJoey and pay full install cost through Dish with no re-commitment. It's all about WHO carries the burden of the full cost: Dish or subscriber.

Okay, I asked DIRT about it and was told Dish WOULD install purchased equipment under the Protection Plan for $15 + a $50.00 "Custom Work Order" fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)