Is an indoor satellite dish even possible?

STEELERSRULE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2007
NW Pennsylvania
What I mean is it, with the physics involved(I have NO clue) for DISH or DIRECTV to make a satellite dish that was CAPABLE of receiving it's info, and be installed inside the house? Pointed out a window, no matter if it was double pane, or whatever the material was. Or if it was even pointed at a wall. It would still get a signal(a very strong one. Over a 100 or better).

The reason I ask is because obviously with the satellite radio's(XM specifically) you can point it at a wall, and still get 100% signal through that wall. I know this because I did it with my XM satellite antenna at one point. I used to point it out near a window(as to there recommendation) toward the southern sky, and got just enough strength to listen.

One day while cleaning I moved it to pointing toward the corner of 2 walls(still in the southern direction, about 4 feet to the left of the window) and the signal came in at 100% from that moment forward. I was like WTF!! It is pointed at a corner of 2 walls and the reception perfect(this is from the satellites, NO GROUND REPEATERS of any kind near me in rural NW Pennsylvania).

Since XM's satellite's is in a FIXED position in the Southern sky(I know it is moving, but it gives the ILLUSION that it is in the same place all the time unlike the moving Sirius birds) which allows for excellent indoor reception.

I switched over to Sirius because of the MUCH BETTER content IMHO and the indoor reception of Sirius is just deplorable. Most people will tell you that Sirius's indoor reception is just BAD, and you really need to place the antenna outside in MOST(not all) situations because of their moving birds.

Now i know that satellite radio is just transmitting compressed AUDIO, and no VIDEO, but are DISH and DirecTV even looking at the possibility of creating a Dish that can be set-up indoors?

Or is it that the science of it, just does not allow it? No matter what you try, when you are sending video and audio(plus other info of course), it just isn't possible to create a Dish for indoor use.

Anyone know if they are trying to develop this or someone is trying to develop this?

The reason I ask is because obviously with the satellite radio's(XM specifically) you can point it at a wall, and still get 100% signal through that wall. I know this because I did it with my XM satellite antenna at one point. I used to point it out near a window(as to there recommendation) toward the southern sky, and got just enough strength to listen.

One day while cleaning I moved it to pointing toward the corner of 2 walls(still in the southern direction, about 4 feet to the left of the window) and the signal came in at 100% from that moment forward. I was like WTF!! It is pointed at a corner of 2 walls and the reception perfect(this is from the satellites, NO GROUND REPEATERS of any kind near me in rural NW Pennsylvania).

Out of curiosity, where do you live? I believe XM and Sirius both use terrestrial repeaters in metro areas, because with all the buildings, it's easy to lose the sat signal. Is there any chance with your XM that when you moved it away from the window, it picked up the terrestrial signal, while near the window it tried to pull in the satellite signal? Just a thought, thinking about the physics of it. Satellite systems use microwaves, and it doesn't take much to block microwaves - think about even sold C-band satellite dishes - we had a mesh one, which would reflect the signal towards the horn. So honestly, I'm hard-pressed to believe that you pick up a solid legitimate microwave satellite signal with solid objects in the way.

Most XM receivers will tell you if your receiving Sat or Terrestrial signal My Skyfi home kit also worked better when I moved the antenna away from the window into the center of the room. I live know where close to a ground repeater.

I was amazed how long my signal hang out during the ice storms we had in February. I had 3/8"-1/2" of ice covering before everthing dropped out. If signal worked through that ice I would think it might work on some windows, but I'd think you would lose signal with the slightest amount of rain.

Sat Rad reception inside the home.

I live less than 4 miles, as the crow flies, from an XM terrestrial repeater. I can receive the XM signal anywhere inside my home; even in the downstairs bathroom which has no windows or skylights; I do, however, have to have an antenna attached in this room. If I am near a window, then no antenna is needed for me.

I do not think that you would be able to receive the DISH sat signal without an external antenna.

My reason for preferring XM as that XM carries Major League Baseball and has a great folk music channel.

Everyone has their own reasons for which they subscribe. That is what is great.... you get a choice ... at least for the time being.

Out of curiosity, where do you live? I believe XM and Sirius both use terrestrial repeaters in metro areas, because with all the buildings, it's easy to lose the sat signal. Is there any chance with your XM that when you moved it away from the window, it picked up the terrestrial signal, while near the window it tried to pull in the satellite signal? Just a thought, thinking about the physics of it. Satellite systems use microwaves, and it doesn't take much to block microwaves - think about even sold C-band satellite dishes - we had a mesh one, which would reflect the signal towards the horn. So honestly, I'm hard-pressed to believe that you pick up a solid legitimate microwave satellite signal with solid objects in the way.

This is going back to 2003-2004. Before I made the switch to Sirius because I felt, and still feel, they have the better programming. But everyone is different, as the above poster mentioned.

Anyway, if you are familiar with both units(i had a SkyFi 1 for XM, and currently have an Audiovox PNP 2 model for Sirius), and message boards, MOST(not all obviously) people who have had both will tell you that XM's indoor reception is FAR SUPERIOR to Sirius's becasue XM's birds(satelites Rock and Roll) are GEOSTATIONARY in the Southern sky(from my point of view in Rural NW Pennsylvania. Amish country), while Sirius birds move in a GEO SYCHRONUS orbit above the U.S.(a Figure 8 pattern). So while people will get STRONG indoor reception for XM, even though it may not be pointed out any window, but may be looking at a wall, Sirius's indoor reception leaves little to be desired. But they have a little better coverage in the car because their birds are moving, and not stuck in one place like XM's. XM's car reception is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but you will be more prone to droputs if you are on the wrong side of a mountain/obstruction while driving, if the XM birds will be on the opposite side of it.

Since I have no repeaters near me(closest are in Pittsburgh at over 55-60 miles away), and the Skyfi 1 differentiates between a SATELLITE SIGNAL and a TERRESTRIAL SIGNAL(ground repeaters), I know it was a satellite signal I was receiving while pointing at a wall.

Others confirm this with the indoor antenna on XM. Many have shared there results in forums that even though pointed at a wall(not a brick, or steel wall. But you normal/everyday sheetrock wall) there reception was vastly improved for some reason over a window sill type of set-up.

For those with XM, try it out. You may be a little surprised or stunned to find out that the near a window, or on the window sill, is not the best place to for the antenna to be pointing at.

No harm in trying.

thanx for the great responses on the indoor satellite TV antenna mount pointing at a wall or the like.

Seems like Science(Physics) just cannot aloow it to be that way at this point in time, or maybe never.

Unless, again, pointed out a cheap single paned window, or a place where there is not window, or the window is opened.

Thats about the only thing XM has going for them over Sirius, wish that Sirius had it but they dont, it gets agravating to loose signal when driving under a thick overhang of tree branches.

Since we're wandering off-topic anyway...

XM uses s-band transmissions which are significantly less susceptible to things like rain fade as well. Since the signal is extremely robust the FAA has approved the use of XM receivers in aircraft. The cool thing about XM is they are not just broadcasting audio, but new aviation GPS units have XM receivers so that you can get a data feed of live radar weather, airport METARs, PIREPS, lighting strike maps, and real-time updated temporary flight restrictions.

Now your General Aviation pilots can have all the in-flight information previously only available to commercial pilots. It's pretty neat stuff.

i found the pic

Attachments

• dishinside.jpg
    dishinside.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,018

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts