Is anyone using the 811 with a DVD recorder?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I currently have the 811 with an OTA antenna hooked up to it, and I receive the $9.99 HD package. I'm thinking of buying a stand alone DVD recorder, and I'm wondering how I would hook it up. I want to be able to record from the OTA programming and from the satellite programming. I don't have a VCR in this setup. Is there a diagram somewhere that shows how to hook up the DVD recorder with the 811(with incoming sat. cable and OTA antenna cable)? Thanks.

Go from your S-Video out of the 811 to the S-Video in of the DVD Recorder do the same from the extra audio outs on the 811 ... I have an 811 hooked to a Replay box...and just archived some stuff last week with a panny Dvd Recorder from my 921 and 622...

Don't these DVD recorders have component inputs I could use instead of S-video?
How do the incoming satellite and OTA antenna cables hook up? Do they stay how they are: Going directly into the 811? Then do I run a coax cable from the 811 to the DVD recorder? I'm still confused.

Thanks dfergie. I know it won't record HD. OK, I leave my incoming Sat. cable and OTA antenna cable how they are on the back of 811. Then what exactly do I run from the 811 to DVD recorder? S-video only? No coax from 811 to recorder?

I ran component and L/R audio cables from the 811 to the Recorder. Then same from the recorder to the tv. The OTA can hook up to the 811. If you want to watch a diferent avent while recording you'll need a seperate receiver. i.e. voom receiver to record OTA, while watching sat programing from the 811.

I have an 811 and a Panasonic E95 DVD recorder. You only need to run S-video and L/R audio cables to the DVD recorder from the 811. For some OTA shows that I record from the 811 I need to use the 811's SD Zoom button to put it in full zoom mode. For whatever reason some of the locals display as a 4:3 window within a 4:3 window on the SD output of the 811, so the SD Zoom makes them fill the 4:3 window correctly.

Also you'll probably have to set the auto-tune for the show you want to record in the 811, and then also set a timer recording on your DVD recorder. Unless you can get your 811 to IR blast your DVD recorder to start recording and stop when finished. I was unable to.

Thanks everyone. If I'm understanding this correctly, if I wanted to record the Super Bowl Sunday, I'd have to switch the 811 to 480i to record. That means I couldn't watch it in HD while I record it? Is that right? I was hoping to record it while I watch it in HD on my projector.

That's a great idea. I'm sorry about all the questions, but I have more. So then I don't change the 811 to 480i when I record the game? I leave the 811 how it always is and the projector also? Do I need to run S-video to the projector for any reason? Thanks.

Questions / answers are why we are here :) No reason for S-Video to the Mits, use the dvi out with a dvi>hdmi cable or component and leave display as is (you might experiment before hand with stretch / video format for the SD out to see which looks best on / from your Dvd recorder...

Dvd

I bought a cheap DVD recorder today(SV2000 from Walmart) and am going to hook it up shortly. It got good reports at Avsforum. All the diagrams show running video from recorder to TV. Why don't I have to do that in my case? Is that needed only if you can play back DVD's on the TV? I will be using the recorder for recording ONLY. Also, I assume I tune the channel with the 811, not the recorder's tuner? Thanks.

Dfergie, I sent you a PM. I can't get anything to display on screen when I hit setup or display on recorder. So I must have something wrong.

Going to bed soon...(5am is early ;)) try Component from the Dvd Recorder to the Mits and check the menus of the dvd recorder to make sure you have correct input /inputs selected and outs also, and check to see that in the dvd menu Progressive out is selected vs S-Video. You may have to hook to a regular tv to check these settings before hooking the the Mits... some PJ's are finicky.. (my old X1 was)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts