Is google maps turn by turn better than your GPS?

Is google maps turn by turn better than your GPS?

• Yes by far

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No not even close

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • About the same

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
For me, my Google maps turn by turn is much much better than my GPS. My Garmin c?(can't remember model) is a piece of crap. It doesn't have streets that have been there years before I got it.

toto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 29, 2003
I've noticed that in metro areas google maps often picks mileage favorable instead of time favorable maps. Printed maps 2 years ago for my daughters vacation in Colorado. I'm from the mountains west of Denver and can assure you that Colfax, Colorado BLVD, Federal and Alameda aren't an Ideal way to go from east Denver to Southwest Denver.:D

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
I agree. Despite having a better understanding of which way is better, time wise, my GPS lags significantly due to it not knowing a lot of the newer streets. Overall I've found Google Maps to be the best way to travel.

Now if I could just figure out why the newest version (updated last week on my Droid X) keeps freezing/force closing, life would be tons better.

mloebl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 10, 2004
MA
I find it about the same typically. What I find disappointing is when you search for something specific; i.e. "Find XYZ Coffee Chain". I was on vacation, and we did this, and several times it navigated us to no where. I was hoping having Google data updated literally "daily" would be better than a GPS that quickly outdates, but not the case so far.

Google Maps did do a great job (better than my GPS) this morning getting me to the parking for Jury Duty. I used Chrome on my PC to mark the location of the parking lot, then did the Chrome to Phone thing... and it was dead on this morning, especially as I had never been there before.

On a side note, I hope Google comes out with better TTS voices, the current ones are AWFUL...

-Mike

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
I use both all the time. A lot of times I find it with google maps than use the GPS to get there. I also like the real time traffic updates on google maps.

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I've used an old Garmin my friend had a few times and it was just OK, meanwhile I've used Google Navigation to tell me what public transportation to take in San Francisco, the first time I'd ever been there, and as a person who has lived in Vegas his whole life and never taken something like BART or a Subway.

The ability to keep it with you and change things as you go (from vehicle, to public transportation, to walking, etc) all built into my phone isn't something I expect the standalone GPS units to match or exceed ever... I am not sure what they can offer that would make me want to purchase one, let alone carry it with me when I might need it in addition to my phone.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
no for a number of reasons

1. google wants to avoid toll rolls , tom tom and my garmin give me that choice google just assumes i dont want toll roads

2. Routes are horrible , gps had the best , telenav had 2nd best (on same phone as google nav) , google nav had the worst route .

3. Google maps is nice when you want to get a idea on what a place look like.

I try to use both but end up using the gps way to often to say google nav made any real cahnge in my gps using life.

Big Dawg 23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 13, 2008
Northfield, MN
Of all the different GPS related items I have used Google has them beat in interface. I am not fan of the search and find in Garmin and TomTom. As for Google just losing your data does kill it. It will download the map and cache it but if you have Satellite view on then you are cooked with no Data. VZ Navigator is very nice and works as good as GPS because it does dump the route on to your handset so no Data and Cell Signal doesn't drop it.

Whenever I have need Turn By Turn my Droid and Droid X with Google Nav has worked just fine.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Google Maps is good, but for driving, Garmin Nuvi is far better. More polished; and google does want to avoid toll roads and sometimes even just interstates. When I went to Florida, it wanted me to drive country roads for hundreds of miles instead of just taking I-57. It was silly.

In a city, when I am on the street, walking, google maps is great. The search tool finds everything I want.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I never had that problem in Orlando. It always took the Interstates and toll roads first.

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
Google Maps is good, but for driving, Garmin Nuvi is far better. More polished; and google does want to avoid toll roads and sometimes even just interstates. When I went to Florida, it wanted me to drive country roads for hundreds of miles instead of just taking I-57. It was silly.

In a city, when I am on the street, walking, google maps is great. The search tool finds everything I want.

Do you have the avoid toll road or highway options checked?

Other than the horrendous voice, I like google maps better.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
My GPS works very well and I voted about the same as Google, but I must ask those of you with major GPS issues;

1. Maybe its your make & model?

2. When was your last firmware update?

3. When did you install the latest map upgrade?

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
I have a Garmin nüvi 1350T with the freebie Traffic Receiver, so it does a nice job of letting us know of traffic delays on the route ahead of us, giving me the option to pick a different route around the delay. Usually, the delay is less than the detour so we just go through the original route. Google shows congestion along major roads, but it isn't as specific as the Garmin.

Using Google Maps on the iPhone isn't very good because it isn't set up to follow along with the vehicle's location. That said, however, when we had to locate a store that had relocated due to a fire and I wasn't sure which way to go, Google Maps pointed us in the right direction, plus brought us back to the car when we were finished shopping.

Finally, using the dedicated GPS has a fixed annual cost (updating the maps) instead of eating into my limited Data Plan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)