Is HIC free of charge during install?

JavaJohnson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
I had a hopper and 2 joeys installed today (upgrade from a single 622). The installer did not have a HIC with him. In fact, he didn't know what it was. Didn't instill the most confidence with me! He was confusing Sling, HIC, and the Powerline adapters. He was going to install a wireless connector on the hopper but I told him not to.

So, I contacted Dish's support chat and they are sending me one, but they are charging me $25 for it. They wouldn't waive it. I thought it was part of the install price. They insisted it was not included. I went ahead and ordered it anyway.

Anything I can do? I really don't feel like calling India and trying to explain what the internet connector is to the agent.

How do I know who to contact? Or who is available?
Go to the bottom of the Forum page. Look for logged in members in RED. Send a PM. Include your Dish account # or phone number associated with your account.

for dish inhouse, we can provide a hic for mfree during install. after install it may be a different story. also, techs are only required to connect it (in the quickest easiest way possible), so if a hic does not appear neccesary they may not want to put one in. dish never really explained the hic (or anything, really) about the hopper system to to installers. after reading these forums, i will be installing a hic with every hopper.

Thanks guys. I PM'd DIRT via Mary yesterday. Hasn't got back to me yet, but given their reputation on here I'm sure it will get resolved. I might have caught her towards the end of the shift.

The installer was going to install a wireless adapter on the hopper, and maybe I should have just let him, but it wasn't my preferred setup. I like hardwired for everything whenever possible!

JavaJohnson said:
Thanks guys. I PM'd DIRT via Mary yesterday. Hasn't got back to me yet, but given their reputation on here I'm sure it will get resolved. I might have caught her towards the end of the shift.

The installer was going to install a wireless adapter on the hopper, and maybe I should have just let him, but it wasn't my preferred setup. I like hardwired for everything whenever possible!

Hardwired to the hopper is fine but if you want the joeys to also have broad band connectivity a hic is the way to go.

Dishman1978 said:
Hardwired to the hopper is fine but if you want the joeys to also have broad band connectivity a hic is the way to go.

No, if the Hopper is hardwired it provides connectivity to the Joeys as well.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

isaacmorseMI said:
No, if the Hopper is hardwired it provides connectivity to the Joeys as well.

Then how come so many people report the joeys not having BB connection when hard wired to the joeys?

isaacmorseMI said:
That or hard wiring the Hopper.
Okay i missed stated my question, here is what it should have read like.

How come so many report BB connectivity not working at the joeys when the hopper is hardwired?

The majority of complaints were about DLNA on the Joeys. It is my understanding that the recent software upgrade has resolved this issue. The HIC is normally installed if Hopper cannot be hard wired but the router is in a room with a Joey. The HIC will be installed at that location and feed the connectivity to all the attached Hoppers and Joeys.

maryb@Dish Network said:
The majority of complaints were about DLNA on the Joeys. It is my understanding that the recent software upgrade has resolved this issue. The HIC is normally installed if Hopper cannot be hard wired but the router is in a room with a Joey. The HIC will be installed at that location and feed the connectivity to all the attached Hoppers and Joeys.

So if the Hoppers are hard wired to the router then the Joeys will have the same Internet/Home Media functionality without the need for HICs?

isaacmorseMI said:
Because the Joeys ethernet port is not active yet.

They are active. Mine is connected, and all is green on the Broadband set up screen. Before I connected it, it showed red, not connected via MoCa.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

stimpson said:
They are active. Mine is connected, and all is green on the Broadband set up screen. Before I connected it, it showed red, not connected via MoCa.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Ah, they must've been activated in a recent update, because they were not active at launch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)