is it impossible for Dish at this location?

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
hey guys, my neighbor isn't that tech savvy, but wants Dish installed. I told him I would check out dishpointer and see how it would be. Here's the results:

129 obstacles: d=163.7 ft h=88.9ft
61.5: d=163.7 h=197.1
110: d=163.7 h=158.6
119: d=163.7 h=123.4

is it a lost cause??

We need more information such as what obstacles are present, how far away they are, how tall they are, how high up your dish will be, if the ground level is the same where the dish and the trees are, etc.

You can always cut a 2x4 at the angle in degrees that DISHPOINTER gives you for the elevation and then just look up your cut line while holding the 2x4 level and in the direction of the line for that bird given by DISHPOINTER. If you sight some trees beyond your 2x4 cut line, then that location won't work.

yea theres tons of trees where 129, 110, and 119 are being pointed at. HUGE trees. 61.5 is being blocked by a house when i look at the image i believe

What are the elevation angles for each satellite?

From your entry, it appears that for 129, for every 10 feet of distance between the dish at the same ground level as the tree, the tree can be 5' 5" tall. So measure the distance to the tree, if it's 50' to the tree from the dish, then the tree can be no more that 27' tall.

For 119, every 10' from dish to tree will allow 7' 6" in tree height. So at 50' from dish to tree, you can go 37' 6" tall on the tree.

For 110, every 10' from dish to tree will allow a tree of 9' 6". So at 50' from dish to tree, you can go 47' 6" in height on the tree.

How far is it from the dish to the trees?

the dish would be about 100 ft maybe, but the trees are HUGE. I'm in Central Florida, this is pretty much a forest in the back yard.

If it is sketchy with trees...you are going to have problems. We tried a few weekends ago to get my folks hooked up, but no matter the mounting location, we were battling foliage.

At least NOW is a good time to try it out. Allot of folks will install in the late fall or winter only to wonder why they lose signal in April.

There trees are all old growth, very mature hardwoods and at least 60-70 ft tall. There is no "trimming" them.

You could also go with multiple dishes, placed strategically where there is a clear shot to the desired satellite. As long as the runs from the dish to the switch are less than whatever the specified distance is (don't remember offhand) you can place the dishes wherever you like on your property. Just make sure that they are all properly grounded. I would imagine that lightning is a very real concern in your area.

When I did the initial site survey on my property I used a cheap plastic protractor and an empty toilet paper roll. That worked really well for me, and I found just the right spot to clear the mature trees on my neighbor's property.

The problem with using multiple dishes would be finding an installer that would be willing to do it. It most likely would not be covered under the "free basic installation", and your neighbor would have to pay a little more for the install.

I want to know who measured those distances and heights to the nearest 1/10 of a ft.

Right Angle Calculators can be found on the net using a Google search. You only need the elevation angle and the distance of one side to calculate the other sides of the triangle.

The problem with using multiple dishes would be finding an installer that would be willing to do it. It most likely would not be covered under the "free basic installation", and your neighbor would have to pay a little more for the install.

I did that for a customer who only had a narrow draw in the forest with which to obtain all three satellites. I had to put the system on three different dishes. We got DISH to pay for one dish and a DP34, but the customer had to pay $75 each for the other two dishes, $35 for poles and concrete and $80/hr for the extra work putting those dishes in. It was about 3 extra hours. The customer paid $425 in all. Considering that cable wasn't available and DirecTV said it couldn't be done, and three other DNS techs said it couldn't be done, they were extremely pleased to now have HD. All three dishes were about 10' apart from each other at differing heights on a hill. I had to meet an operations manager from the local DNSC office in GA on the job site and show him why I was able to get this customer service when three of his techs put the job as a no line of sight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)