Is it worth upgrading to the 811??

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Hi everyone I'm sure this question has been asked before so forgive me. :D

I'm thinking about replacing my 501 with a 811. I do not have a HDTV so my questions are......

1. Will I notice improved pic quality of the SD channels on a SD TV? I'll be using the S-video output.

2. How will the HD channels look on a SD TV? Will I have the top and bottom black borders? (Looks like letterbox format.)

Thanks
Bob N1WBD

n1wbd said:

Thanks
Bob N1WBD

I'm thinking about replacing my 501 with a 811. I do not have a HDTV so my questions are......

1. Will I notice improved pic quality of the SD channels on a SD TV? I'll be using the S-video output.
No, SD is still SD

2. How will the HD channels look on a SD TV? Will I have the top and bottom black borders? (Looks like letterbox format.)
The HD channels will be down converted to SD, but it will still be the best SD picture you'll ever get. The HD channels will be letterboxed, SD channels will be full screen. (If they ever get the aspect ratios working on the SD outputs you'll be able change settings)

n1wbd said:

Thanks
Bob N1WBD

I have both the 508 and the 811. Also have a 721. If you are not interested in HD then I suggest that you not get the 811. The 811 shines the most while watching HD through component/DVI not as an SD box. The 501 is a DVR and you will be given up DVR capability to watch downscaled HD. Why would you want to do that?

The HD that is available through Dish is nice to see in HD but I would question the downscaled value.

That is my opinion. If you are wanting to stay in the non HD world, a better upgrade would be to a 721 or 522.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)