Is my DPP44 going bad?

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
Using a DPP44 with a DPP Twin feeding inputs 1+2, and a DP Dual feeding input 3 with 61.5. Output 1 goes to the power inserter, then to my 622 (via the separator) and output 2 to my 411. About 20 minutes ago, all even transponders went away. thought it was rain fade, as a storm is moving in, switched to the 411, and its working fine.

Did a power-button (7 secs) reboot on the 622, no help. pulled the power, no help. disconnected lnb feed and re-ran switch test, no help. Just now I ran another coax from output 3 of the switch, and it appears everything is working.

Any suggestions? I was about to have a heart attack thinking the 622 died, but that doesnt appear to be the problem.

What sat do you have on port 1 input? I have had issues with 110 being on port 1 on my DPP44. I would lost signal, not get any guide data, lose channels, etc.

110 is on port 1, 119 on 2. If I swap the 2 TWIN leads will that actually change? I didnt know what selected 110, the switch ot the LNB itself. I should say its been running weeks without issue too.

Just for kicks I'd send the power inserter to the 411 and use the 622 on input 2.

Other than the separator, are you using diplexers as well? There is documentation about having nothing in between the switch and the power inserter (like a diplexer) because of the chance of burning it up. I don't know if it amounts to much. There are some instances where you can't plug the power inserter outside where the switch has to go at the pre-wire/diplex point, and someone might have two dual tuner boxes both requiring diplexing.

Whenever I run across a dual and single tuner hook up like yours I put the power inserter on the line for the single tuner box, that way I don't have to wonder what will happen down the road with the interaction of the diplexer/separator/power inserter. That's a lot happening on the line.

As far as the DPP Twin feeding into the DPP44, I know it works but I always use duals at the dish because I get higher signal gain. I don't know if it's the result of a switch being fed into another switch (DPPtwin to DPP44) causing the loss or something else with the configuration even though the switching operation in the twin is bypassed because it's hooked to the 44 but that's been my experience.
We cascaded switches before with legacy so I don't know why I see so much difference with these. I guess I'm saving the company money anyway since I'm installing one switch instead of two. Go figure it works better that way.

Kirby Baker said:
110 is on port 1, 119 on 2. If I swap the 2 TWIN leads will that actually change? I didnt know what selected 110, the switch ot the LNB itself. I should say its been running weeks without issue too.

Well, on my setup, it did change the order of the sats. I believe when a switch is used, it takes precedence.

It all occured when I was doing some clean up on my wiring. I put the cables back and did check switches on all my receivers. Only the ones on the DPP44 had issues. ( I still had a 921 on on a DP34 at the time and it didn't seem to care). I thought my DPP44 was going bad or possibly even my LNB was flaking out. Then I remembered that the switch matrix changed when I did the check switches so I swapped them back and have not had an issue since.

My 522 got to the point I had to clear the switch matrix to fix it, the check switch stopped working with the sat feeds connected.

It's worth a shot to at least eliminate the variable. I read on a post somewhere here that receivers seem to like 119 on port 1 of the switches (of course I read this after I took a whole day trying to figure out what was wrong with my setup).

I'll give it a shot tonight. It was weird though, I was watching TV on the 622 and then changed to 142 (espnews) to see the NIT draw, and at that point, lost all 110, 119, and 61.5 on tuner 1, and tuner2 only got the 61.5 lnb's. I moved it to port 3, and no issues. So right now, port 1 has the power inserter and no receiver, port2 is the 411, and port3 is the 622. I just hope it isnt the 622 flaking out, because the 411 could tune all channels while the 622 couldnt.

Simalar Problem With DPP44

We did a dish move about 4 months back and they installed a DPP44 switch and every since then I have problems losing 119 if power gos off and back on. We have dishes looking at 61.5, 110 and 119. I called tech support and they said I most likely had a bad cable from one of the L&B's to switch. Ran a new new cable (switched cable from 110 & 119) and still have same problem with a power off. I have power inserter on line one in as was told to always do this. I have a 921, 501 & 508 all show the same drop out of 119 satellite channels. To get all programing back I have to power off all receivers and power switch and them power switch back on first and then receivers. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Come to think of it, last week I did have 2 days where we had very slight power bumps. Not enough to turn everything off, but I had a PC that shutdown because of it, and my X10 lights came on. So maybe I need to 'reset' the DPP44 somehow? How would I do that, cut power to the power inserter? Or do I have to unhook all cables to it?

To reset the switch, you unplug the power inserter from the wall and disconnect the lines running to your receivers. Let the switch "rest" for 30 seconds and reverse the process.

There is no real "reset" feature to the DPP44, but unplugging it as Dishpointer has stated does sometimes work. The switch is for all purposes as finicky as the legacy sw64 switch, it was a problem child to develop due to power requirements. Wiring requirements should go as follows, port 1 110, port 2 119, port 3 61.5/129/148, port 4 105/121. In your setup though the DPP44 is overkill as the DPPtwin and the DPdual can link together through the input port on the twin and do the same thing that your 44 is doing unless you have more than the 411 and 622 in your home. Best thing to do when your power goes out is to make sure that your receivers and the switch are unplugged, when the power comes back up plug the switch in first and then the receivers and rerun your switch test only if you get an error message.

Its not overkill in my situation, because there is about 300' distance between my 110/119 dish and the 61.5 dish. I had planned on just using the dish1000 but alas cant get 129. Otherwise I would agree :)

If you have all Dishpro receivers it doesn't matter what satellite slots go into what ports. In theory anyway. I've hooked up 44s all sorts of ways and haven't had any issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts