Is my house equipped for Dish? (pic)

brad g

Original poster
Dec 8, 2007
Hey guys, sorry about the newbie question....

I have a house (built this year) that has a cable/phone junction box.

I want Dish service with the following 4 room setup: 1) HD/DVR 2) HD 3) SD 4) SD.

The junction box has only one input available right now...will I need a new one and if so what?....or if not, is this ok?

The room with the DVR already has two lines running to the junction box. Will I need any wiring, or can I get by with the standard (free) installation.

Thanks for any insight you can provide....
DSC00789.jpg
DSC00789.jpg%22%3E

Look at those fittings? From a wiring POV you are whats called pre wired. Change fittings at the junction and wallplates, barrel's too, and you should be good. Hopefully you'll have a low LOS for the dish. :up Sounds like a 722 and 222 is up your alley.

thanks guys, what I meant was I only have one input total and right now its occupied by cable...is that still ok?

thats what I was afraid of. Can someone recommend a splitter/distribution device that will work for my needs? I assume they are not included in the standard installation.

If the line from the outside to the J box is relatively short (10 feet or less...no major obstructions like finished ceiling) then it's just a matter of your installer running another line from the outside.

Otherwise you're stuck with just a 2 room install.

If any of your prewire outlets is on an exterior wall, the tech could run a wire from the outside into the prewire outlet and use that wire to feed back to the panel. He could even run in two wires that way if one of the receivers is going at that same exterior wall jack.

are you are saying feed from the satellite directly to the cable outlet for one of the TVs, then to the junction box? that would leave me with 3 tvs that would need to be fed by the single input junction box.

would not the easiest thing be to replace the multiswitch in the junction box with something that can handle two inputs? then we wouldnt have to do any complicated behind the wall wiring?

sorry if the questions are stupid. Im just trying to figure this stuff out.

Summary:

You need two wires from the exterior of the house to the location in the picture.

If that is not possible, and one of the outlets is on an exterior wall, the two lines from the dish could be run to that location. The wire in the wall would be spliced to one wire from the dish, and in the picture location be spliced/diplexed to the line that goes to the room you want that receiver in.

The second line attaches directly to the receiver in the room with the exterior wall.

Or, if that room does not get HD, you'd run the signal from the dish through that cable, and diplex the backfeed back to that room. Then you'd use the original cable that runs in to attach the other line from the dish.

You would diplex the backfeeds to TV2 with the same lines that carry the satellite signal, so yes, three could be run through that picture location.

Last edited:
Summary:

You need two wires from the exterior of the house to the location in the picture.

this is the route I want to go so I dont have to change any of the existing wiring in the house. So the question is, will they provide the multiswitch, or do I need to buy one? Is this the one I want? DISH Network DPP-44 VideoPath Dish Pro Plus 4x4 Cascadable Multiswitch (DPP44) 129349 | DPP44 (129349) [DISH Network] | DishPro DP-44 DPP DPP 44 DP44 Dp-44 DP 44 dp pro + 44 switch multiplexer

dish prolly will not provide theswitch, but i think thats the one you want the dpp 44

they are pretty expensive when bought from dish bout 212 after tax so you may check ebay

before purchsing make sure others here agree you want the dpp44

That won't help either, he only wants 4 tuners (two dual tuners). Even if he needs 110/119/61.5, a DPP Twin still is fine. Or a regular 1000 with a DPP Twin and DP for 129. But why would anyone get a 1000 instead of a 1000.2 anyway?

Man I gotta love that. Our other place was built in 2002 and doesn't have any central boxes, all the coax feeds home run to the access panel outside the house, lmao.

Am I the only one who thinks these things are a bit overrated?

Anyway, what the one dude said was if you happen to have a cable outlet near the wall where the dish would probably be installed, they could run a line to the outlet, couple that and it'd just be used as an incoming line. It doesn't necessarily have to be an outlet used for a TV, though I think if you wanted to do that, yes it could be done. That would be used in addition to the outlet provided for the cable company to use.

Man I can't believe they only left you with one incoming line. Ouch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)