Is the 622's HDMI output RGB or YCbCr?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ssj2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Does anybody know if the HDMI output is RGB or YCbCr? If RGB, is the 622 sending proper studio levels of 16 - 235, or PC levels of 0 - 255? I asked Dish Tech Support but they were of no help. Thanks

THE HDMI output must be either RGB or YCbCr. I just need to know which, and whether studio video levels of 16-235 are maintained.

Thanks keenan. Now, to determine whether it's being sent with proper studio levels or pc levels.

Smith, P. Do not confuse my low post count here with a lack of knowledge. Here's a quote from the official HDMI website's FAQ about the HDMI specs: "Ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color-space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color-space." Here's the link: http://www.hdmi.org/about/faq.asp#hdmi_specification

The origin of the signal is digital, that's one of the benefits of HD. It is possible to have a digital RGB source just as it's possible to have digital component -- analog component (YPbPr) is different than digital component (YCbCr).

Keenan's iScan recognizes the 622's HDMI as digital RGB. That answers the 1st question. The issue now is if studio or PC levels are used.

Although I do not know the answer, I believe it to be the "television" standard rather than the "PC" standard. I say this because some microdisplays meant for television use have some trouble with the "PC" standard and do not support connecting a PC and using the HDTV as a computer display. At least not digitally.

Since there are no complaints of this sort of problem using the ViP622, it is reasonable to "assume" it uses the "television" standard.

It's not that a device wouldn't be able to display the signal. In fact, digital RGB is likely more compatible than digital component.

Rather, the issue is whether black is represented by "0" or "16", and if white is represented by "235" or "255". Setting the display's input (if allowed) to match the signal's source levels of 16 - 235 (studio) or 0 - 255 (PC) is required for proper calibration of black and white.

ssj2 said:
It's not that a device wouldn't be able to display the signal. In fact, digital RGB is likely more compatible than digital component.

Rather, the issue is whether black is represented by "0" or "16", and if white is represented by "235" or "255". Setting the display's input (if allowed) to match the signal's source levels of 16 - 235 (studio) or 0 - 255 (PC) is required for proper calibration of black and white.
I'm 99% sure that the output is studio level, does the HDNet test pattern have a BTB section? If it does, should be able to tell that way. The VP30 may be able to tell me as well, I'll check tomorrow.

Keenan posted his iScan recognized the HDMI output of the 622 as RGB. I decided to test this against settings from my Panasonic S97 DVD player by switching its HDMI output to RGB and activating the player's studio and enhanced settings.

With the DVD player's RGB output set to standard (studio levels) and my projector's input set to standard, my calibrated brightness & contrast settings (AVIA for DVD & HDNET test patterns for HD) matched exactly with the 622's output.

Therefore, it would appear the 622 is maintaining studio RGB levels from its HDMI output.

I just received this emai response from Dish Network tech support:

Thank you for your e-mail. At this time the HDMI cable outputs YCrCb at a rate of 4:2:0. I Hope this helped if you have any further questions, please let me know if you need anything else.

Given that the YCrCb signal should be sent at studio levels it would make sense that brightness and contrast settings using the 622 matched the RGB studio settings from the DVD player. Odd that Keenan's iScan recognized the signal as RGB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts