Is the Dish protection plan really needed???

Gerry_Albertson

Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Hi all,

New to this forum!

I'm thinking about getting Dish and was advised to include the protection plan. Is there any warranty period after the initial installation to cover a service call? This is were I'm a bit confused. If I lease the equipment, how come they charge for coming out and fixing their own equipment? I can understand a protection plan helping after the initial warranty for buying the equipment, but charging me to fix a piece of leased equipment??? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Gerry
Reno, NV

I had a bad lnb on the equipment that I own, and the csr at Dish said to add the protection plan, then they would send out an lnb and after we had swapped them out, just cancel the protection plan. It worked.

I believe that leased Dish IRDs comes with a 1 year warranty. After that, you are subject to being charged for repairs unless you have the Protection Plan. Do a search, though, and you'll find that this Plan can be added at almost anytime.

Is charging for repairs on leased equipment fair? Sure, it's legitimate business terms, subject to the parties agreeing contractually. You are responsible for repairs on leased cars after their warranty expires, for example.

I had to call DISH technical support for the first time since signing up 2 years ago because of a problem with the equipment. I lease it too. The guy told me it was $99 to send someone out. I told him to forget it. He then says they can offer 50% off. It's ridiculous. It's their equipment. We pay enough as it is every month and their lousy stuff breaks down and they want us to pay them to have a guy come out and do a swap that takes 5 minutes?

I see Mediacom in Iowa has a 30 day warranty on their installations. After that you fix or they charge. Boxes are still a swap out. I agree it is frustrationg to have to pay to have equipment fixed while you are leasing it! At least they should warrant it for the duartion of the lease.

Quentin Reynolds said:
I lease it too. The guy told me it was $99 to send someone out. I told him to forget it. He then says they can offer 50% off. It's ridiculous. It's their equipment. We pay enough as it is every month and their lousy stuff breaks down and they want us to pay them to have a guy come out and do a swap that takes 5 minutes?

Quentin,

I have the protection plan, when my reciever went out they sent me a new one, I swaped it myself, sent it back (they paid shipping)

I have the protection plan, when my reciever went out they sent me a new one, I swaped it myself, sent it back (they paid shipping)

I contacted Dish awhile ago and was told they pay shipping back, but there is a $14.95 shipping charge on the new receiver.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll go with Dish despite these repair costs. To pay for repairs on a leased piece of equipment is indeed ridiculous, and to pay for shipping for their equipment going bad is also a joke.

Gerry

Just to reiterate what others said;

I just had a box go out and the tech/CSR advised me to add the warranty plan and they would send out a new card for the monthly cost of the warranty where as it would have normally cost me $49 and change plust $15 and change for shipping to have the card sent without the plan.

Then I could cancel as needed.

Worked for me considering I have had the box since signing up with Dish over 6 years ago.

only policy

It's the only insurance policy that I know that you can buy with a pre-existing condition. Have a problem? Buy the insurance when you call and then tell them you need service. Once done with the serivce cancel.

I've never had it personally. I know someone who uses it to replace their remotes. I personally find it cheaper to replace a broken remote on E Bay. To each his own I suppose.

Ron

Last edited:
Gerry_Albertson said:
To pay for repairs on a leased piece of equipment is indeed ridiculous, and to pay for shipping for their equipment going bad is also a joke.
Gerry

I agree with you 100%. In effect they are charging you to rent defective equipment. Doesn't make any sense at all. I can't believe they get away with it. When I was with cable, they simply replaced the box whenever anything went wrong - no charge whatsoever. :down

That's a horrible way of doing business on Dish's part and is probably the reason why they are so flexible with allowing customers to sign up when they first call about the problem.

noremac said:
Is charging for repairs on leased equipment fair? Sure, it's legitimate business terms, subject to the parties agreeing contractually. You are responsible for repairs on leased cars after their warranty expires, for example.

Cox tried that on my parents, they had a cable box die and they tried to charge them because they didn't have the warranty, my parents told them to keep the box then, the csr said oh well we can waive it this time then.

If your out of commitment I can't see them charging to replace a bad leased box, I don't think a charge for an onsite visit is unreasonable though.

rixhd said:
I agree with you 100%. In effect they are charging you to rent defective equipment. Doesn't make any sense at all. I can't believe they get away with it. When I was with cable, they simply replaced the box whenever anything went wrong - no charge whatsoever. :down

The insurance also includes fixing of any problems with the dish itself. The chances of the failing thoujgh are alot less than the receiver.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts