Is the MoCA network the reason for hot Joeys?

Universe93B

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2024
Raleigh, NC
Is MoCA the reason the Joeys are always running hot even if that particular tv is not one? When I had the Joey 1.0s, those things were so hot even when the tv is not on and there is no HDD or a huge power supply in there that would cause that much heat. After upgrading to the Joey 3.0, the heat is more manageable but also, the unit is so thin anyway.

Wondering if this was just a characteristic of the coaxial cable? Or is it a characteristic of the Outside dish/Hopper/Joey system where the dish is always receiving a signal, the Hopper is always on and the Joey is always ready for the "instant on" signal when the tv is turned on?

I have 3 Joeys in my setup, Joey 2, Joey 3, and a 4K Joey. The 2 and 3 are both in standby right now and the 4K has been turned on for about an hour. I would say that all 3 are barely warm to the touch and nowhere near hot. I looked in History and have no Heat notifications on the Hopper 3 or the Joeys.

More than likely it is lack of proper ventilation of the motherboard.

I had a Joey 3 that was rather warm to the touch, so I used a 12V power supply to power a small fan constantly blowing air across it.

I have a similar 120 v fan that pulls warm air out the right side of my H3.

It never hurts electronics to keep the cool.

MOCA (Multimedia over cable) is merely a method of conveying ethernet signal on coaxial cable and uses frequencies similar to OTA TV service.

Is MoCA the reason the Joeys are always running hot even if that particular tv is not one?
I say, "No, it's not MoCA causing the heat". It's more likely what serves as a GPU in a Joey that gets the hottest. I believe the video stream, even of the screen saver, is on all the time. It doesn't stop when you hit pause, either. This seems kind of wasteful but that's what I understand of how the Joey works.

I say, "No, it's not MoCA causing the heat". It's more likely what serves as a GPU in a Joey that gets the hottest. I believe the video stream, even of the screen saver, is on all the time. It doesn't stop when you hit pause, either. This seems kind of wasteful but that's what I understand of how the Joey works.
Any electronic device with a cpu gets hot. If you've ever had a laptop and actually put it on your lap you get pretty warm quickly. The problem with the Joey 1 and 2 is the heatsink has crappy thermal paste and is held on with cheap plastic clips that over time get brittle and break. Once the heatsink is no longer evacuating heat properly, a lot more heat gets transferred throughout test of motherboard and then into the plastic casing.
But overall it's very normal to touch any small electronic device like that and it be pretty warm. Even at idle cpu temps can easily run 80-100°F and under load can get up to 150°F. So can expect outer temps to within 20-30° of that. It's absolutely nothing to worry about unless your receiver is telling it's overheating or you are experiencing constant reboots. You could also disconnect hdmi and coax and it will be roughly the same temperature.

More than likely it is lack of proper ventilation of the motherboard.

I had a Joey 3 that was rather warm to the touch, so I used a 12V power supply to power a small fan constantly blowing air across it.

I have a similar 120 v fan that pulls warm air out the right side of my H3.

It never hurts electronics to keep the cool.

MOCA (Multimedia over cable) is merely a method of conveying ethernet signal on coaxial cable and uses frequencies similar to OTA TV service.
So you have the coolest hopper in town.:bigok

What happened to the bigger Echostar 25 satellite?

Transponder for bravo?