is their any advantage to using ethernet port over phone line for updates on a VIP722

hclarkjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
PA
I have a VIP722 and just noticed that it has a Ethernet port on it. i have a linksys WRT54G which has 4 ports on it setting close enough to hook a cat 5 cable to it. any advantage to doing so?

Updates, as in EPG & s/w, are downloaded from satellite.

If you do not hook up your box to a phone line (or internet) you will be charged $5 (unless you only have 1 box, IIRC). This helps them ensure you are not account stacking (feeding 2 or more locations with just one account), and aids in that all important ordering of extra cost content.

A big advantage when you do not have a phone in your house except cell phone. I save $35 month on the land line that I never used.

Does anyone think Dish will ever let the program guide be downloaded through the ethernet connection? It sure seems like it would take less than the 5 minute estimate through the satellite.

Does anyone think Dish will ever let the program guide be downloaded through the ethernet connection? It sure seems like it would take less than the 5 minute estimate through the satellite.

No point in that really... that would be a lot of bandwidth to upload to all the various receivers, that everyone needs at the same time. So send it one time up to the satellite and save a lot of bandwidth. The EPG is rather large.

I only notice the guide info downloading when I change my setup around or have my receiver unplugged for a long time.

Ability to download from E*. Dish On Line & Dish On Demand.

Don't forget Dish Remote Access. I understand it will work without an Internet connection, but I'm not sure you get the functionality as if you were connected to the Internet (the only way it could report information back from the receiver in realtime without an Internet connection would be via the dial up connection).

No point in that really... that would be a lot of bandwidth to upload to all the various receivers, that everyone needs at the same time. So send it one time up to the satellite and save a lot of bandwidth. The EPG is rather large.

I only notice the guide info downloading when I change my setup around or have my receiver unplugged for a long time.

That's good information. It must be a lot more than just text then. I thought it would be a couple of megabytes at most. I just thought it might be faster as sort of an opt in thing for those with broadband. Guess not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)