Is there a difference between BR standalone and BR PS3?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I am sure there is an answer somewhere but I assume that you guys will know this easy question. What I mean is besides the game playing are there more features in the standalone BR than the combination with PS3 or I do not know what I am talking about :D

What I like about my PS3 is it does many things.

It has a built in wireless adapter(60gig and 80gig), so you can surf the net and stream mp3's,video and pictures to it from your home network. It has a browser that works well, Im going to get the logitech wireless keyboard soon. You can also copy files from your network to the hdd if you dont want to stream them.

The blue tooth is cool, with the range some guys have the PS3 in another room than they are using it in.

The SD upscaling quality is phenomenal, and the BR PQ stays in the top 3. The ps3 video is software based so it can be improved by FW updates. This is how they added HDMI 1.3 and upconversion after it was released.

The future standalones may end up with a better PQ, but I think the PS3 will hang with em. Right now they have no wireless, no media streaming capabilities. If you dont care about this, get the 2nd gen samsung BDP1200 or the upcoming 3rd gen. Both have the Reon chip and excellent PQ.

If you want a media hub, the ps3 is very nice.

It also plays the occasional game ;)

How can I access the adapter and the browser? I have a borrowed PS3 and have yet to play with this... Please post tonight since I have to return this weekend and I would like to see this.

For the wireless adapter, you just set it up as you would say a laptop. It has a network configuration. You scan and it shows you networks available. Select yours, the type of security(wep??) then enter the password to get on your network.

The browser is at the far right if you scroll over the media bars columns.

With the PS3 if you want to play the PCM audio tracks you'll need an audio receiver that has HDMI inputs since via TOSLINK when set to PCM all you get is two channel audio, there is no option for analog audio outputs that a number of stand along BR players have.

I am now typing this message from the PS3 browser. This is worth the money. It took me weeks to set my htpc. The PS3 was so much easier. Wireless keyboard is a must.

Some guys said the browser is not so hot. I have not had any issues with it and have posted on this site a few times from it. Ive also surfed to speakeasy.net and performed a speed test! Logitech sells a wireless keyboard for the PS3. Whats nice about it is, it has a touchpad like a laptop so you dont need a mouse. Ill be getting one soon.

If you have Win Media Player 11, streaming content to the ps3 is easy, you just have to leave media player on.

I do not think the browser is that bad but I wouldn't use it as my PC. It is good to have the option in case you need to do something with it. I love how easy it is to setup.

Other advantages of PS3

1) New firmware (1.9) allows audio CDs to be upsampled to 88.2kHz and even 176.4 kHz through both optical and HDMI.
2) Plays SACDs through HDMI as 176.4 kHz 5.1 PCM (surround SACDs). Also supports stereo SACDs. The quality is phenomenal.
3) Nyko Bluwave remote (third party) comes with a USB to infrared adapter. I have one of these and then I learned all the codes into my Harmony remote. So, now I have one remote to control my entire system including the PS3. Works pretty well.
4) 1.8 firmware introduced DVD upscaling. However sony engineers have said that they can still increase the quality by about 30-40%.
5) Of the current players, PS3 has the best chance of getting firmware upgrades for the future bluray profiles and DTS-HD-MA.
6) Fastest Bluray players available today. I think it is the fastest next gen format player available today. It is faster than all HD-DVD players too.
7) I am not a gamer, but I use the PS3 everyday for all other things. I have not had a single freeze up or unstable behavior. Not one.
8) As a Mac User, I am waiting for software from NullRiver (the makers of Connect360 for Xbox360) to provide a similar utility for PS3 so that my mac and PS3 can play nice.

I use the PS3 to view new pictures of my grandson. And my oldest daughter's wedding. I love how easy and quick it is to move from picture to picture, zoom and also looking at those pictures on my Pioneer 58" HDTV is real nice.

Watching movies is very easy and I look forward to new features being added through software upgrade every month. Sony has done a nice job with the PS3 and it is a solid piece of electronics well worth its place in my HT stack.

And it plays games -- the latest demo of Heavenly Sword is out and boy does it look amazing in HD -- and difficult!! Who new Sony could bring to the market such a innovative product!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)