is there a DVR/PVR for our situation?

way2tyred

Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
SE Texas
Forgive me for asking if it has been posted elsewhere, but i havent been able to find anything.

We live in a very rural area. Our only internet option is through our wireless provider, so we do not have "home" internet. We also don't have a home phone. I've been researching DVRs and am having trouble deciphering whether or not they need an internet or phone connection. We originally were going to go with a Tivo with a lifetime subscription (from ebay) but i was told we would need a phone line. Are there any options that dont require either internet or a phone line? It isn't clear on any of the product websites i've visited. I think in our day and age it is almost inconceivable that people can not have high speed internet in their homes.

I can turn my phone into a hotspot as needed to update, etc, but wouldnt want to keep it available 24/7.

Thanks so much!

Look at the Magnavox H series boxes. Walmart:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...gQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNESLAKxBYAufqrmTKrhwRmcRco0_Q

MDR513H/F7 will record to HD {320Gig} or to DVD-/+R, RW

Receives OTA digital signals, displays in received format, will record in SD format.

Has timer record ability, single or by schedule. Visit the competition web site{if it will show}:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575

A fellow nicknamed(?) Wajo has been all over this unit for several years and models now.

Google for "Magnavox DVR" without the quotes for a wide array of information. No "TV Guide" on the unit, you'll have to select date/time/duration/channel for each recording, but you will be amazed at how convenient it is ...

tom

Last edited:
What do you have for equipment? For posting in the OTA forum the assumption is you have a TV antenna with a good signal. What do you have for internet, I'm going to guess you are similar to mine using a WiFi from SPRINT that requires the computer be turned on for internet phone. I can use that as if it were a fax to connect my DVR to internet.

My solution is a subscription to DISH Welcome Pak at $19.99/mo. you could use a 211 with an external hard drive to create a DVR with a 1 time expense of $40 for software and no monthly fee. Myself I use a VIP612 which does have a $7/mo DVR fee but offers dual tuners for satellite and a single OTA tuner. This does not require phone or internet connection and downloads programming guide from satellite.

Doesn't help you, but TIVO can use either a phone line or an internet connection for guide data.

I second ICE's suggestion for the Channelmaster.

ThThank you all for such quick replies! We do have an antenna with fairly good signal. We have 10-12 channels consistantly with another 10-12 that vary depending on
the weather.

For internet my husband and i just use our phones and tether as needed to our tablets/laptops.

We really don't mind not having guide information. Our kids are struggling with the withdrawal from satellite. There are plenty of programs they like OTA, they just air at inconvenient times. I'm hoping a DVR will stop the complaints.

I see a box advertised online from Brite-View for under $170 that looks interesting. At this price, they're arguably more attractive than computer-based solutions and it doesn't require (nor does it support) phone or Internet connections. The PrimeDTV box at around $230 claims to be a network media server at some level.

Note that most of the currently offered solutions WILL NOT record analog channels or inputs (if you're looking to commit old recordings or other analog sources like security cameras).

What do you have for equipment? For posting in the OTA forum the assumption is you have a TV antenna with a good signal. What do you have for internet, I'm going to guess you are similar to mine using a WiFi from SPRINT that requires the computer be turned on for internet phone. I can use that as if it were a fax to connect my DVR to internet.

My solution is a subscription to DISH Welcome Pak at $19.99/mo. you could use a 211 with an external hard drive to create a DVR with a 1 time expense of $40 for software and no monthly fee. Myself I use a VIP612 which does have a $7/mo DVR fee but offers dual tuners for satellite and a single OTA tuner. This does not require phone or internet connection and downloads programming guide from satellite.

Didn't the welcome pak jump 5 bucks?

Yes it jumped from $14.99 to $19.99. I still think it is a bargain, includes locals in HD and some good basic cable channels, provides channel guide to make recording easy.

I would go to the Welcome pack if they kept AMC in it like they used to have ,before the dispute with DISH and AMC. I want to know what caused the Welcome pack to go up since they didn't add any new channels and dropped AMC.

I would go to the Welcome pack if they kept AMC in it like they used to have ,before the dispute with DISH and AMC. I want to know what caused the Welcome pack to go up since they didn't add any new channels and dropped AMC.
131 is still in my program guide. Are you sure AMC was dropped?

Watching AMC in the Welcome pack as I type this.

I have a 500 gig Magnavox box and am very pleased with it. I can record OTA and off the Dish 211. You have to program both though to timer record Dish programming.

We bought a Channelmaster CM7000-pal off Ebay. It works great and delivers a crisp, clear HD picture. The only beef I have with it is that the programming descriptions for the channels are weak to non existent. But for a couple hundred bucks it is certainly cheaper than a TIVO and doesn't need an internet or phone connection.

That box uses PSIP data encoded in the broadcast signal. Each station provides that, and yep, it's minimal. But it's free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)