Is there a Satellite Install guide for Dummies? EA with Wing Dish

Toyzruskid1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Dayton, OH
Is there a definitive setup/faq/dish for dummies for Dish's system?

Reason I ask is here is my setup.

722K - Main Living Room
211 - Bedroom

The 722k only feeds one TV. For some reason the 2nd tuner light turns on now and again (and it's not when it's recording either)

I have the EA setup on one dish and a wing dish setup for I believe 129? or 119? (Sorry can't remember which one it is.. it's only for my locals since they are not on the EA)

How should my check switch screen be setup?
There's no choice for 1000.4 it’s either 300, 500 or Super. I have it set to super. (No clue what the alternate and super dish check boxes do either)

Which satellite needs to be selected on this screen? (And for that matter what does this screen do with regards to which one you pick?)

I guess I don't understand the whole schematics, and neither did the tech who installed the system. (Never did an EA apparently)
My signal drops when it rains, my box resets every now and then, and honestly I don't feel like wasting an entire day for a tech if I can fix it myself.

I just have this feeling that it's a setup issue. The bolts on both dishes are tight, so I have checked that (the installer apparently didn't tighten them all the way)

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

maybe a neighbor has the same remote address, and it also come on after a reset, so if the box goes on and off that makes sense prolly 129 for your local wing, dont check anything on install summary, point dish screen shows the strength on the sat and trans and tuner you pick, thats to diagnose bad signal. if you are on a channel and go to point dish, you see the signal to noise ratio you are getting for that channel from the sat and trans listed. water absorbs the signal, it will reset if it gets hot or has a bad ground, hope it helped, but still not sure where your wing dish is going but i think you're right with 129

Please (re)state in ten words or less specifically what it is that you're trying to fix. If there are multiple issues, pick the one that is causing you the most grief.

The dish selection on the point dish screen is just to give you the pointing coordinates for whatever dish you pick. It dosen't make a difference which one is selected as far as the receiver setup is concerned.

If the blots were loose on the dish it probably needs peaked to maximize signal. You can try moving it slightly in each direction while watching the point dish screen. You might want to mark where it is before you start so you can go back if things don't work out.

Improper grounding can cause receiver resets so you might want to check that. The dish should have a ground wire attached to it that runs to the house ground and there should be a ground block somewhere that the coax cables are connected to. If the dish isn't properly grounded you should notify Dish, that's a code violation that they will fix.

Please (re)state in ten words or less specifically what it is that you're trying to fix. If there are multiple issues, pick the one that is causing you the most grief.

Installation Guide, Can I have it?

I want to learn on my own how to install the system because I don't think my installer did a good job (I shouldn't get rain fade in a drizzle)
I don't think my box was setup properly either.

The dish selection on the point dish screen is just to give you the pointing coordinates for whatever dish you pick. It dosen't make a difference which one is selected as far as the receiver setup is concerned.

If the blots were loose on the dish it probably needs peaked to maximize signal. You can try moving it slightly in each direction while watching the point dish screen. You might want to mark where it is before you start so you can go back if things don't work out.

Improper grounding can cause receiver resets so you might want to check that. The dish should have a ground wire attached to it that runs to the house ground and there should be a ground block somewhere that the coax cables are connected to. If the dish isn't properly grounded you should notify Dish, that's a code violation that they will fix.

I don't have any of this. My lines go directly from the satellite to the receiver (With the exception of a few splitters in the mix as they connected my old wall cable to the cable coming from the satellite.)

Again, this is a reason why I'd like to review a technical guide on how to install the system versus the book written for my grandmother that came with my reciever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)