Is there logic/explanation for this ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
I have the setup shown in the pic. I have the signal for the powered A/V Amplifier going to an old non-HD small TV in the kitchen. It works ONLY IF the HDTV at the amplifier is TURNED ON. If I turn that TV off, and the Directv controller remains on, then all I get is a BLANK screen on the old kitchen tv ???
directvsetup.jpg

Yes, that's normal. It's because when the HDMI-connected TV is turned "off", it's not really off just on standby, and it fails the HDCP protocol check from the Directv box, and so the Directv box cuts off all outputs. The way to solve this is to get a powered HDMI splitter and connect it between the Directv box and the HDTV, using just one of its outputs. Then the protocol will be supported even when the HDTV is switched off.'
Most good powered HDMI splitters will work. Try monoprice.
If you physically disconnect the HDTV from the Directv box when it is off you will find that works also, but that's really inconvenient

I have also seen situations for example where 1 Tv is fed HDMI, and the other Tv is fed via component.

Shut off the Tv with HDMI, and you will get an error message on ESPN for example saying you need to hook up component video cables due to HDCP.

Reactions: dcavaiani
Same reason. The HDMI-connected tv isn't really off, just on standby, and most TVs fail the HDCP compliance test when they are on standby

Reactions: dcavaiani

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)