Is this an official representative calling from Dish Network?

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
216-502-4350 with the name Zeb, J on the Caller ID. The guy on the phone said they work on behalf of Dish out of California.

I know from previous discussion on this forum that third parties do have access to your account info. (Some of whom would cancel your existing account and attempt to trick customers into signing up as new customers.)

The person on the phone knew all the services we're signed up for including when we signed up as a customer. Another family member had answered the phone before me and given them one of the receiver IDs so not sure if that's a way for them to look up info.

Basically they offered $20 off per month for the first year and somehow drop our bill down another $5 off after that. Replace our current standard def receivers (625/322) with two new high def receivers (722k/612). Two year contract.

I ended up telling them to call back in a few days.

It's sad that there is never a way that i can figure out if these people are legitimate or not. Dish is the only company where i've had to deal with years of garbage like this.

Hi sparc, It does sound like a retail partner is attempting to contact your to upgrade your equipment. If they were able to give your account specific information, then are probably representing DISH Network. It is your choice if you choose to upgrade with them, or through DISH Network themselves, or not at all. Regarding the unsolicited calls, I can add you to our "Do Not Call List" and should stop these calls all together. If you would like me to do that, please just PM me your account info and be sure to mention "Do Not Call". Thank you and have a great day!

mary, try working the phones and see what really goes on. the retailer/sales partner calls cust for sale, finds out cust already has dish. gets cust on phone to give them r00/r01 number. retailer/sp then calls dish, gives address, name, and verifies account with r00 pretending to be the customer. finds out all what is on the account. sp/retailer will then say they have moved, and modify the address and the phone number to prevent duplicate account error later on . the sp/retailer will set up customers new account under new promotion using spouse info. after new account is installed, then retailer/sp will call up pretending to be customer and cancel the old account.

coaches and management have been informed of this, but all of them refuse to take any action on this. this is what is commonly known as account flipping.

mary, try working the phones and see what really goes on. the retailer/sales partner calls cust for sale, finds out cust already has dish. gets cust on phone to give them r00/r01 number. retailer/sp then calls dish, gives address, name, and verifies account with r00 pretending to be the customer. finds out all what is on the account. sp/retailer will then say they have moved, and modify the address and the phone number to prevent duplicate account error later on . the sp/retailer will set up customers new account under new promotion using spouse info. after new account is installed, then retailer/sp will call up pretending to be customer and cancel the old account.

coaches and management have been informed of this, but all of them refuse to take any action on this. this is what is commonly known as account flipping.
Thank you, tulsa agent, you made some very valid points. I have spend my entire career, with the exception of the last 2 months on the phones. I do believe these "flip companies" do exist, we also subcontract companies to upgrade equipment for us. The more information our customer's have, the better decisions they can make as consumers! Have a great day in Oklahoma!!

The fact that E* shares personal customer information with these third party hacks speaks volumes on just how far this company had slid in a slimy underhanded way to prop up their bottom line. If Dish wants to upgrade my programming or equipment, then call me directly. Oh I forgot, all their in-house telemarketers are too busy working the phones harassing their top tier customers who have four or more receivers.

the OP even said that someone had called and gotten the rec # from his housel0hold the other day. and dish has an official rep telling him to go ahead with this obvious fraud.

hope mary gets a non negotialble for this one

tulsa agent said:
the OP even said that someone had called and gotten the rec # from his housel0hold the other day. and dish has an official rep telling him to go ahead with this obvious fraud.

hope mary gets a non negotialble for this one

What thread are you reading? I don't see a rep saying to go ahead with this "obvious" fraud. Was Mary on the other line when the OP got the call? Were you? You can guess what the situation is, but since dish does work with less shady retailers, it's impossible to know for sure, which is the real problem here.

Last edited:
Tulsa Agent, are you so bitter that you have to attack Dish Network employees on a public forum? At least Dish is trying to help people here. What good have you contributed to this forum lately, aside from your sarcastic vitriol? Do you still work for Dish? If you do, I must say I'm incredibly sorry that you're so jaded.

This type of assumed "fraud" is above Mary's Pay grade and is probably is something she has not dealt with so it didn't seem out of the norm to her. (And besides that shes got a billion things shes doing at once. I am sure she gets a full mailbox of PM's helping people out too.)

I have worked with DISH is the past on issues like this and they know that telemarketer fraud is going on out there which they are working hard to stop.

Please don't blame Mary for this one, she was just trying to do what she does best and that is HELP our members. :)

This spells flip job all over it.

DISH Network is not going to call you up, offer an upgrade with all new equipment and a programming discount.

My experence with Dish is that they give way nothing, unless you call and ask for it.

what really ticks me off is that dish management is aware of this, yet they do nothing to train employees how to protect customers from this. in many many phone calls i get with this issue the customer has a commitment on their old account that got cancelled and they are calling in once their credit card got auto charged for the ETF and non-returned equipment fees. oh yeah, and good luck trying to get anyone at dish to help assist the customer and waive the fees. i havent been able to get help from management for this at all. and too top it off, guess who gets the bad csat for the call?

Thank you, everyone for the information. I was not aware of the "flip company" issue being as extensive as it actually is. I have recieved a lot of information about how these companies operate and the devastating effect they have on our effected clients. I always appreciate any information that can help me to do a better job assisting and educating our customer's. Hope everyone has a great day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts