Is this External HD really safe for archiving?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

adidadi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
My question is whether I am gambling by archiving hundreds of HD movies on multiple external hard drives, only to have them not work on future set top boxes once I've upgraded or if they break down and I wind up on my 4th STB, whereby the unit won't allow the use of a hard drive past 3 moves as it currently states. I am just worried about spending all this money on multiple hard drives only to later regret it and be stuck with useless, unplayable content. If I knew they lifted the 3 box limit, I would know that I can always hook it up to any STB in my house or new, replacement unit, but this makes me slightly uneasy. Any thoughts?

You know, I really don't think it's meant for saving movies for a lifetime.

Technology marches on. There is not a single storage mechanism in use today that will still be readable 20 years from now, except paper. And no guarantees there, either, if it's not acid free. Even NASA has lost data because they had some tapes, but could no longer find any equipment to read them. In the world.

Be happy with a few years, if that's your goal, and maybe you'll get the chance to move the content to another, future storage medium. But I doubt it. External storage, IMHO, is just for extended time shifting, not permanent retention.

But I expect the 3 box limit to be fixed this year.

You know, I really don't think it's meant for saving movies for a lifetime.

Technology marches on. There is not a single storage mechanism in use today that will still be readable 20 years from now, except paper. And no guarantees there, either, if it's not acid free. Even NASA has lost data because they had some tapes, but could no longer find any equipment to read them. In the world.

Be happy with a few years, if that's your goal, and maybe you'll get the chance to move the content to another, future storage medium. But I doubt it. External storage, IMHO, is just for extended time shifting, not permanent retention.

But I expect the 3 box limit to be fixed this year.

Great response, Navychop. So true. It is maddening how we have to switch to the latest media every 6 months (hyperbole). I just saw a scene of the "old" film Hackers where the 1.44 MB diskette was lovingly photographed as the ultimate (now penultimate) in cutting-edge micro-media technology. One has to laugh!:).

My question is whether I am gambling by archiving hundreds of HD movies on multiple external hard drives,
Sounds like you plan on recording every movie that comes on. Betting that you are not, start with a single drive and see what your true archival habits are/will be.

Very insightful responses. I am just wondering about Dish's intentions. Will they be the ones to obsolete their own formatted drives somehow?

If you care about your movies, get a DVD burner and burn those suckers! Then you'll be set there boss.

Will you be able to preserve HD that way though??

I record quite a few to my DVD recorder, which look pretty good though certainly not true HD (as far as I know, there are no HD/Blue Ray HD recorders on the market yet).

You know, I really don't think it's meant for saving movies for a lifetime....

External storage, IMHO, is just for extended time shifting, not permanent retention.

Perfect response.

Hopefully, within 10 years, HD VOD (streaming), will eliminate any need for home-based content storage.

But, for now, this does the job nicely (here comes 20 hours of Painkiller Jane).

I believe the gold/archive type claim 100 years...of course I don't know how they know that since the whole medium wasn't even around prior to the 20th century.

I use these: shop

David...are you a Pain Killer Jane fan?

I just happen to be good friends with the Executive Producer.

What can I do for you ? (no you cant date Christina)

David...are you a Pain Killer Jane fan?

I just happen to be good friends with the Executive Producer.

What can I do for you ? (no you cant date Christina)

Well, if you can't do the date....

Actually, I don't know. I've been marathon watching shows during the summer (including stuff from last season). I have all the Painkiller sitting on my HDD.

Having it in Hi-Def will automatically bump it higher in my queue.

I am about to plug in my 2nd storage unit. Collection is growing. Fast!
Hope this all works out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)