Is this HDTV OTA antenna good?

I know this should proably go in the OTA forum, but I would be using this with my 722. I'm wondering if anybody has tried this out and if it really does what it's suppose to do? (a signal from 50 miles away) Thanks for the help guys...

Amazon.com: Toptronics DA-001 HDTV ATSC Indoor Digital TV Antenna: Electronics

you need to go back to the Amazon page for the antenna and read the review that is posted there.
I use an old rabbit ears on my 211 Vip box and it works only ok.

Yeah I saw that review on the Amazon page but I've read good reviews on other pages. I Probably should have used a different link...I was just wondering if anybody had one on here and what they though of it?

If you recieve a strong enough signal indoors it should. I have actually connected the RF antanna for TV2 to tne OTA and it worked, although only for a few strong signals.

I have an outdoor antanna and get better reception and a lot more stations.

Bottom line - for OTA the bigger and higher the antanna is, the better your reception will be.

I live in Lincoln, NE and have the free antenna that you can make at home attached to my Dish receivers for OTA coverage, and it picks up all of the locals in Omaha at 80 or better signal strength. Antennas with multiple elements will ALWAYS give you a cleaner signal than some amplified electrical gadgetry. I'd say try building this 'free' antenna and if it doesn't work then try a cheap beam antenna from Radio Shack for $20-30. If that doesn't work then maybe you'll need to explore more options.

You could always attempt to setup an array of wires taped to the back of your entertainment system that you tie together with two separate wires and hooked up using a $1.50 twin lead to coax connector.

Just some ideas.

Here's a link to that 'free' antenna:

YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna!

50 miles and an INDOOR ANTENNA rarely go together successfully. But if poor TV reception is your goal go for it To get the best OTA TV reception in all weather conditions usually means buy more than you need to allow for the worst circumstances.

I consider my setup to be "somewhat indoor". I have the antennas in the attic in my one-story home. Before having this setup, I was able to receive the stations 50+ miles away in Omaha on a truly indoor setup. Maybe my situation is unusual, but that's all I can speak to. Trying a $2 solution first is always better than a $50-60 solution only to find that it doesn't work.

If you recieve a strong enough signal indoors it should. I have actually connected the RF antanna for TV2 to tne OTA and it worked, although only for a few strong signals.

I have an outdoor antanna and get better reception and a lot more stations.

Bottom line - for OTA the bigger and higher the antanna is, the better your reception will be.

Not completely true. Larger antennas are more directional. You may actually lose some channels by going to a larger antenna.

I know this should proably go in the OTA forum, but I would be using this with my 722. I'm wondering if anybody has tried this out and if it really does what it's suppose to do? (a signal from 50 miles away) Thanks for the help guys...

Amazon.com: Toptronics DA-001 HDTV ATSC Indoor Digital TV Antenna: Electronics

All you need is here; Erecting an Antenna,

IMO : stay away from Radio Shack, Winegard and Channel Master are much better. Go to the manufacturer's web sites and follow the DB gain ratings "AFTER" reading the HDTV primer link above.

~​

Do note what the article states about stations returning to VHF. If any in your market will move to VHF after February or are that now with thier DTV, don't lock your self out with a UHF only antenna. Get a combination now so you don't have to do it all over again.

The Channel Master 4228 is the one that did the trick in my attic. Perfect reception since I got its orientation right. Reception before was messy due to hills, wind and woods with tall trees. Tried with two other antennas before, and they did not perform better than my old rabbit ears. Notice however that it's highly directional, it worked in my case because all towers are at the top of the same hill.

All you need is here; Erecting an Antenna,

IMO : stay away from Radio Shack, Winegard and Channel Master are much better. Go to the manufacturer's web sites and follow the DB gain ratings "AFTER" reading the HDTV primer link above.

~​

Your opinion doesn't correlate to the testings done by many in the AVS indoor antenna ratings thread. Channel Master, TERK and Winegard may make the best outdoor antennas, but certain Radio Shack indoor antennas rock.

EV's Best Top Rated HDTV Indoor Antenna Review Test Round-Up Guide - AVS Forum

FTR, I tried the vaunted TERK Silver Sensor rip-off. I wasn't impressed. That Radio Shack UFO is solid! I'm going to buy a second one!

The top 3 indoor antennas in the list below are all from Radio Shack!

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS and is changed and updated regularly as new and better testing data becomes available

Channel Master 4220 with CM 7777 amp on roof
DB2 with CM 7777 amp on roof
RS 1880
RS 1892 UFO
RS DA-5200
Channel Master 4220 unamped indoors
DB2 unamped indoors
RS Double Bow Tie
Winegard SS-3000
RS 1634
RCA ANT1500
Classic Single Bow Tie
My First Attempt at the Coat Hanger Antenna, Youtube Video Specifications unamped
Terk HDTVa
Philips Silver Sensor
Philips MANT510
Philips MANT940
GE Futura Outdoor
Channel Master 4030
Samsung Axession TV DA1000/GE Contempo
RCA ANT108 (very similar to the RCA ANT110 and others)
RS 1868 Delta
RCA ANT1020
Terk TV-5
RS 1870
Jensen TV 931
Terk TV-1 without Loop
RS FM Dipole

I live in Lincoln, NE and have the free antenna that you can make at home attached to my Dish receivers for OTA coverage, and it picks up all of the locals in Omaha at 80 or better signal strength. Antennas with multiple elements will ALWAYS give you a cleaner signal than some amplified electrical gadgetry. I'd say try building this 'free' antenna and if it doesn't work then try a cheap beam antenna from Radio Shack for $20-30. If that doesn't work then maybe you'll need to explore more options.

You could always attempt to setup an array of wires taped to the back of your entertainment system that you tie together with two separate wires and hooked up using a $1.50 twin lead to coax connector.

Just some ideas.

Here's a link to that 'free' antenna:

YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna!

That antenna is also discussed in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over-air-ota/119733-very-good-2-00-homemade-antenna-hdtv.html
I built one and it works very well.

There are SOOoooo many variables in getting the right OTA antenna. I'm using one of these on my upstairs bedroom TV:
Amazon.com: Philips PHDTV1 Silver Sensor UHF/HDTV Digital Indoor TV Antenna: Electronics
...and it's pulling in the local OTA from 42 miles... reliably and rock solid.

However that same antenna on my living room TV (one floor below) is woefully inadequate. So I stuck a CM4228 outside for the main TV and WoW! what a difference.

It's a crapshoot. :) Try a few. Also note the cautions about locals returning to VHF. If you have VHF HD locals in your area then an antenna primarily designed for UHF just won't cut it. Although I have to say the CM4228 does great on higher VHF channels... like... 7 and higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)