ISAT and Dishnetwork - possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

uponthemountain

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Goode VA
Hello all.

I'm getting very tired of 28k dialup connections and considering using a sat based option.

This leads me to looking for a sat based internet connection that will actually do VPN and is reliable.

But not only that ... I want to try to find something that will also allow me to use the "same dish".

I had Gilat (StarBad) back in the day and disliked it intensly.
I believe the main problem there (besides reliability) was latency.

So I *think* one way sat would fix that. By using a phone line for uplink, I'm hoping at least half of the net latency would be resolved.

Anyways, the gilat dish allowd me to have dishnetwork lnbs on it at the same time.

I'm hoping to be able to do the same thing again, but with another solution provider.

Right now I'm trying to find info on "ISAT" http://www.isatplatform.com/ ... so far not much to find and the local tech support is clueless.....

To recap:
Can anyone give any advice on Finding a sat based intenet service that will allow me to use the same dish for internet and servicing my dishnetwork 721?

Thanks in advance ...
Keith

I believe if you are hoping for VPN connectivity, the satellite option isn't going to be very good. The latency issues will constantly create problems for the VPN software.

There are companies out there offering fixed wireless services at reasonable rates. Here in Utah, I have no less than 3 wireless options. I am using Sprint's Wireless Internet service, which points to a tower about 35 miles away. My latency is worse than DSL and Cable, but I can get T3 download speeds at times. My upload speed is between 56K and 100K. I pay about $55/month, but I am lucky as my work pays for the internet fees.

Anyway, don't just consider satellite, as there may be other options.

Satellite-based internet is very poor for applications like VPN.

It's ok for downloading big files.
It's ok for surfing.

It's bad for internet gaming...even with 1 way sat, the ping times are very long, due to the latency... on 2-way satellite, even worse.

For surfing, a caching web server is used to buffer up information to be sent in bursts... much like what most dial up providers use.

For VPN, I hear it is very, very slow.

Don't even look at Direcway... their customer support is, by far, the worst organization I have even dealt with.. far worse than Dish.

*NO* other options available.
I'm in the country, up on a ridge, in a valley.
Wireless points the wrong way on the other side of the mountain.
No chance at cable,dsl, cellular etc ...
Lines to bad for isdn to be reliable.

Direcway has been recommended by firends, but everything I read says stay far away.
I don't care if vpn is slow, just need it to work.
The main thing is I need web, MAIL NNTP and FTP to be FASTER, nut semi reliable.

I'm using Direcway, and have been for months. Yes, customer support isn't good, but with a little luck you'll not have to call too often - I haven't.

Get the DW6000 - don't even think about the others. Mine is plugged directly into my wireless access point, and I'm typing this on a WiFi laptop in the TV room.

You won't be able to share the dish - at least not easily. They have several different satellites, so you don't know which one you'll be assigned to. I'm on 95W. Could I MacGyver something together for 110/119 - maybe, but why bother?

As for performance, dial-up in my area is 26K at best - typical for rural phone lines due to multiplexing because of the limited amount of copper available. Anyway, as you know, 26K is unusable for all intents - you'll be much happier with Direcway even with the latency. Ping times will never be less than 5-600ms, but that's OK. I use remote desktop a lot, and it's slow, but usable. VPN might give some grief, but if you can get some cooperation from your network people, should run.

Finally, it's very reliable - as long as you sweep the snow off the dish when it gets deep. :)

P.S. Whereabouts are you? I'm 10 miles from the dead center of Colorado.

Simple Simon
Sounds like your positive experience is similar to friends. I will need to use programs like gotompc from time to time, and I'm used to using it at 28k speeds, so I would not think the directway would be any slower. or would it?
I'm considering making the big change to Directv. The lure of tivo is very strong. I've been loyal to Dish for something like seven years, but enough is enough. maybe ...
So if I change to Directv then I should be able to do the one dish solution ?
Anyways thanks for the feedback, sounds doable, just not perfect.
by the way ... I'm in central Virginia, in a town called goode in between lynchburg and roanoke.
Keith

uponthemountain said:
Simple Simon
Sounds like your positive experience is similar to friends. I will need to use programs like gotompc from time to time, and I'm used to using it at 28k speeds, so I would not think the directway would be any slower. or would it?
No, it should be a bit faster - but the lag on a character-by-character basis takes a little getting used to. No big deal.

Oh - I found their FAQ on VPN here.
uponthemountain said:
I'm considering making the big change to Directv. The lure of tivo is very strong. I've been loyal to Dish for something like seven years, but enough is enough. maybe ...
So if I change to Directv then I should be able to do the one dish solution?
Yeah - I think they still offer that - it's on their website. It means your Direcway will have to be pointed at one specific satellite so that the side arm points to D*'s bird. Doesn't fly with E*'s 2 bird setup - although some hacker out there may have done it.
uponthemountain said:
Anyways thanks for the feedback, sounds doable, just not perfect.
by the way ... I'm in central Virginia, in a town called goode in between lynchburg and roanoke.
Keith
Ha - it figures - you're not too far from the Direcway NOC - It's in Germantown, MD.

Remember - get the DW6000 - it's the most troublefree unit, and easy to network. Mine is plugged directly into my Linksys BEFW11S4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)